Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Schols.

Options
  • 25-08-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I'm going into second year schols. I got 6 A1s in the LC with a lot of work and got a first in first year with doing very very little throughout the year.

I looked at all of the benefits of doing schols and really none of them are that attractive to me - i already have all of my fees paid for by susi, i think there's a good chance i will do my masters in another college so that's not helpful. I would like to live with my parents while I can because I know it's much much harder to study all hours of the day when you have to live and do everything yourself, and the money you get instead isn't that good. The free meals and being able to put it on the cv is nice but is it really worth it?

Anyway, even if it's not all that practical I feel like I will regret not trying especially because I think if I really really try I have good chances.

I'd do Maths but not sure if I should do Physics or Chemistry. I know more Physics material but in the next month before college i could really learn a lot of first year chem to catch up. I tried looking at the results to compare how many people get them in those subjects, and i just found that no TP students got schols meaning that physics was probably insanely hard (even for a tp student) so I have very little chances. As for Chemistry, no Chemistry and molecular modeling got schols but they are also much fewer in numbers.

I can't decide what will really give me higher chances and I don't want the fact that I know more physics to sway me, especially because I know I can learn the material if I really want to. any suggestions are much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

The cash in lieu of accommodation is ~€2.5k. At least to me, that seems more than enough reason to endure three months of hard work. Your LC results indicate that you are above-averagely intelligent and have an ability to apply yourself to academic work. But I wouldn't read much into them beyond that. Very many people with high LC scores fail to get Schol. Your First in JF exams is overwhelmingly what should give you confidence. But, especially considering that the number getting Schol is now a third of what it was a few years ago, a First in JF in no way automatically translates into Schols success. The challenge is considerable and the likelihood of getting it low.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tornados2111

The cash in lieu of accommodation is ~€2.5k. At least to me, that seems more than enough reason to endure three months of hard work. Your LC results indicate that you are above-averagely intelligent and have an ability to apply yourself to academic work. But I wouldn't read much into them beyond that. Very many people with high LC scores fail to get Schol. Your First in JF exams is overwhelmingly what should give you confidence. But, especially considering that the number getting Schol is now a third of what it was a few years ago, a First in JF in no way automatically translates into Schols success. The challenge is considerable and the likelihood of getting it low.
    I'm completely aware that there is no guarantee at all and that this is a challenge more difficult than any that I have faced before. Having said that, I probably have significant enough chances based on my past results that it would be a shame to at least not try. Of course there's a higher chance I won't get it, in which case whatever. I mostly even feel like doing it to challenge myself, to better myself and to see if I'm able to commit myself - last time I really worked hard was for the LC which was a long time ago.

I find that when I commit to something, I'll spend every waking hour obsessing about it. The 2.5k is nice, but if I spent all that time at a job or even giving grinds to people which should be not too difficult to organise given my results, I'd probably make more money in the 3 months and guaranteed, rather than the chance of getting it.

Anyway, I know that that's just academics. You can't expect it to be that profitable before even finishing your degree and for me personally all this reasoning still won't stop me from trying my best to get it (probably something messed up/ perfectionist part of my brain that says I'll regret not trying). Just need to figure out out if I'll do Physics or Chemistry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Certainly, if you're just doing it for the cash, don't do it!

Everyone I've spoken to about it who gave it a proper go mentioned the transformative experience of fully engaging with their academics. It's a period of study that positions you to perform to your best in the following years. That said, lots of clever people who stand a good chance of getting it don't go for it, many of whom go on to get gold medals on graduating. And some people can be badly demoralised by not getting it.

I can't help you with your subject choice. But I think I recall that Chemisty has some non-exam component to it. It'll say in the College Calendar.

Good luck if you do.

Advertisement