Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice wanted: Training in Practice Vs Business

• 25-08-2016 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭

I'm just looking to find out what people think about each option. I have an offer from one of the Big Four, and I am considering applying to a Public Sector Company who operate through the business route for Chartered Accountancy qualification. (Same study leave etc.)

My understanding is that it is easy to end up in the one spot doing the same type of work everyday if you go the practice route, and that going the business route will allow you to get a broader experience. Working in different functions each day and the like. Would this be correct?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 ACA2015

Lynchy747 wrote: »
    I'm just looking to find out what people think about each option. I have an offer from one of the Big Four, and I am considering applying to a Public Sector Company who operate through the business route for Chartered Accountancy qualification. (Same study leave etc.)

My understanding is that it is easy to end up in the one spot doing the same type of work everyday if you go the practice route, and that going the business route will allow you to get a broader experience. Working in different functions each day and the like. Would this be correct?

Thanks in advance!

Are you sure it's the same study leave? If they say "Institute" recommended study leave that isn't the same as the Big 4 or the mid tier firms. The average (depending on what you've worked up as overtime- but it is just a given in some firms) is 11/12 weeks plus the exam days (for FAEs) if you're in one of those places. With the Institute recommend 7 weeks plus exam days - that's a big difference. Additionally firms put on classes for their employees with some very good lecturers which can help you get through.

As for the practice vs industry experience - there are so many variables. Who your manager is, your team ect. It can be pot luck in practice but you could end up with a dick of a manager in industry, it's working life and hard to tell. The advantages generally of industry is better pay and potentially more interesting work. Practice is better study leave, a brand that travels well (Big 4/GT/BDO/Mazars et all are currency worldwide), some better exam support and being in a big group of trainees you can get through with. I'm sure you're aware of the negatives- longer hours in practice for example, but it isn't absolute.

It really just depends but I would check out the study leave first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

ACA2015 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's the same study leave? If they say "Institute" recommended study leave that isn't the same as the Big 4 or the mid tier firms. The average (depending on what you've worked up as overtime- but it is just a given in some firms) is 11/12 weeks plus the exam days (for FAEs) if you're in one of those places. With the Institute recommend 7 weeks plus exam days - that's a big difference. Additionally firms put on classes for their employees with some very good lecturers which can help you get through.

As for the practice vs industry experience - there are so many variables. Who your manager is, your team ect. It can be pot luck in practice but you could end up with a dick of a manager in industry, it's working life and hard to tell. The advantages generally of industry is better pay and potentially more interesting work. Practice is better study leave, a brand that travels well (Big 4/GT/BDO/Mazars et all are currency worldwide), some better exam support and being in a big group of trainees you can get through with. I'm sure you're aware of the negatives- longer hours in practice for example, but it isn't absolute.

It really just depends but I would check out the study leave first.

Thanks for the reply!

I'll be sure to check the study leave as you say. I suppose it is preference at the end of the day. The main thing is getting through the exams so support Big Four offer would be welcome.

Thanks again!

Advertisement