Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I watch RTE player in the north of ireland?

Options
  • 25-08-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I cannot watch anything on RTE or 3player as they are "not available in your region" which annoyingly is only 7 miles from the border. I know there is a way to go about this but I don't know what to do. Can anyone help? I'm using a macbook.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Unfortunately I cannot watch anything on RTE or 3player as they are "not available in your region" which annoyingly is only 7 miles from the border. I know there is a way to go about this but I don't know what to do. Can anyone help? I'm using a macbook.

Three letters..
    V P N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

me_irl wrote: »

That's the same crowd who run a paid-for vpn-type service which uses the connections of people running the plugin as endpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

me_irl wrote: »

Don't use this. Google them to see the risks you are taking when using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Usually it says "Island of Ireland" and includes the north, I'm in derry on virgin media and I can use the player.

This wasn't always the case but it works now, there's also a contact function on it that you can report this and they could look into it

Edit: also some programmes are restricted see attached image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you are 3 miles from the border you could use a saorview box or a tv with saorview built in and an aerial .
    https://www.saorview.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Fysh wrote: »
    That's the same crowd who run a paid-for vpn-type service which uses the connections of people running the plugin as endpoints.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't use this. Google them to see the risks you are taking when using it.

Feck, didn't know. Sorry about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

See image attached

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Actually a lot of RTE stuff will work if your ISP indicates that you are actually in NI rather than GB, but they don't and I'm not at all sure why. Utvinternet used to did the job for this but now they are gone options are few. Virgin Media is one of the few who provide a proper geolocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

thanks for your replies everyone. i can watch the RTE Player using the mobile app. i want to watch something on 3 player but it says restricted due to my location and i can't download the app because I am on the UK apple store. there has to be a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Move 7 miles south ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

riclad wrote: »
    IF you are 3 miles from the border you could use a saorview box or a tv with saorview built in and an aerial .
    https://www.saorview.ie/
    i have a saorview box but i'm trying to watch programs on catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres a android emulator for pcs, windows , you might be able to dowload the 3 android app.
    Or pay for a vpn service .
    I used the hola chrome app to watch bbc tv ,iplayer , it stopped working a month ago.

Advertisement