Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing as an Irish Maestro card?

• 25-08-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

or is it a purely continental phenomenon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

We used to have them, in the form of Laser.

They've been replaced by Visa Debit/Debit Mastercard. Maestro as a system is generally disappearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

or is it a purely continental phenomenon?

Maestro is not purely a "continental phenomenon", they used them in the UK, but the UK Domestic Maestro scheme is not fully compatible with International Maestro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Thanks! really not sure how this got into the Gaeilge forum!
    Blast anyway. Website looking for a 50 euro pp charge unless I pay with Maestro. even visa debit isn't good enough :-( It's a mainland EU site, hence my thinking that it was an EU thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

The old Laser cards didn't work with Maestro online anyway, despite having the logo on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have a very vague recollection of one of the banks on Ireland having Maestro only cards at some point in the last 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

McGaggs wrote: »
    I have a very vague recollection of one of the banks on Ireland having Maestro only cards at some point in the last 10 years.

Postbank did. It was another mangled version, which you couldn't use online..

Advertisement