Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta stage 7: Maceda - Puebla de Sanabria 158.5KM

Options
  • 25-08-2016 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Properish preview for stage 7, none of this "Its started" rubbish :P

A lumpy bumpy stage with a flat finish
    The first week of the Vuelta comes to an end and the peloton bids farewell to Galicia, arriving at Castilla y Leon through the Puebla de Sanabria, in the province of Zamora. The route is a windy one where the bravest riders will probably attempt to break away, which could result in them obtaining a stage victory. 158.5 kilometres in which the peloton will have to climb several mountain passes, such as Padornelo, 18.5km from the finish-line. This stage could be decided by a mass sprint to the end or with the triumph of an early escape, and will serve as a preview to the start of the Leon-Asturian mountain that offers such good sporting results for the Vuelta year after year.

CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.png

PROFILKMS.jpg
    1. ATAPUMA Darwin 32 BMC RACING TEAM 21h 45' 21''
    2. VALVERDE Alejandro 1 MOVISTAR TEAM 21h 45' 49'' + 00' 28''
    3. FROOME Christopher 21 TEAM SKY 21h 45' 53'' + 00' 32''
    4. QUINTANA Nairo 7 MOVISTAR TEAM 21h 45' 59'' + 00' 38''
    5. CHAVES Johan Esteban 51 ORICA BIKEEXCHANGE 21h 45' 59'' + 00' 38''
    6. SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel 37 BMC RACING TEAM 21h 46' 28'' + 01' 07'' 7. KONIG Leopold 26 TEAM SKY 21h 46' 33'' + 01' 12''
    8. KENNAUGH Peter 24 TEAM SKY 21h 46' 35'' + 01' 14''
    9. BRAMBILLA Gianluca 131 ETIXX - QUICK STEP 21h 46' 43'' + 01' 22''
    10. YATES Simon 59 ORICA BIKEEXCHANGE 21h 46' 49'' + 01' 28''

Abandons BARGUIL Warren (Giant)- stage 3 DNF
    REYNES Vicente(IAM) - stage 4 DNF
    ZURLO Federico (Lampre)- stage 4 DNF
    MAS Luis (Caja Rural) - stage 5 DNS
    FISCHER Murilo(FDJ) - stage 5 DNF
    KRUIJSWIJK Steven (LottoNL) - stage 5 DNF
    MINARD Sébastien (AG2R) - stage 6 DNS
    KISERLOVSKI Robert (Tinkoff) - stage 6 DNS
    LÓPEZ Miguel Ángel- stage 6 DNF

PS: The polls only a bit of fun so any pedantic pats forget lecturing about spelling of names etc ;)

Which Yates will win a GT 1st? 2 votes

Adam
    0% 0 votes
    Sean
    50% 1 vote
    Jack Butler
    0% 0 votes
    Simon
    50% 1 vote
    That feckin poetry one who gave me nightmares for the leaving cert
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Who is J B Yates?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Ignoring the spelling, that'd be the Olympic Silver Medallist:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Butler_Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The last 30 km should be pretty exciting. The remnants of the breakaway will go-for-broke up the final climb in order to try and survive the 18km from the summit to the finish. They should be able to hang on as the descent is roughly 11km.

It annoys me that the official stage profiles for the Vuelta don't display the gradient and length of each climb.

The TdF profiles do...

(I'm easily annoyed :P )

Michal Kwiatkowski has abandoned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Michal Kwiatkowski has abandoned.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Back pain

SwissToni wrote: »
    Back pain

Mild?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Watching the first weeks stages I can't help thinking they would have suited Dan Martin.

SwissToni wrote: »
    Back pain

Sounds so innocuous just put like that I wasn't sure how serious you were but I see that's the given reason all right. That'll teach me to ever doubt the word of SwissToni!

• Advertisement

The last 30 km should be pretty exciting. The remnants of the breakaway will go-for-broke up the final climb in order to try and survive the 18km from the summit to the finish. They should be able to hang on as the descent is roughly 11km.

Well it looks like I'll be completely wrong about my prediction of the break competing for the win. It looks like Etixx and the rest of the peloton have this well under control. I did think though that their would be a higher calibre of riders in today's breakaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Contador crashes heavily again. The man has no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Burial. wrote: »
    Contador crashes heavily again. The man has no luck.

Im not entirely sure it's bad luck- I watched that crash a number of times and I have to wonder what exactly Contador is doing; approaching a 90 degree left with 500m to go and he is neither on the inside nor outside line, not on any wheel as such; he seems to be slowing and Gilbert goes ahead outside him and the AG2R rider (Blagdonas?) executes a brilliant inside line to pass the Lotto Soudal rider (Van der Sande?)
    He gets his front wheel taken out and down he goes, taking the next half dozen with him. Should he not take it wider- as Flecha said afterwards, he turned in too early... ?
    To me that's a pretty basic mistake very like what you might get in Mondello at the final bend if the bunch isn't in a long line into it.
    Similar to his stage 1 TdF crash maybe? Contador is an incredible rider and I admire him but these are simple mistakes I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Advertisement