Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakes

Options
  • 25-08-2016 10:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know there is a lake in Loughrea where one can go on a nice day and relax etc.

Are there any other lakes in Galway etc that have a place you can go to and enjoy the view where they might have benches ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Portumna forest Park, and along the Corrib.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

flazio wrote: »
    Portumna forest Park, and along the Corrib.

Thanks
    Is there any specific areas along the corrib? I don't want to be driving for hours trying to find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Regarding the Corrib, the places I know where folk swim etc. are Dangan and Menlo (the city) and Annaghdown (turn off and Clonboo before Headford)

Greaney wrote: »
    Regarding the Corrib, the places I know where folk swim etc. are Dangan and Menlo (the city) and Annaghdown (turn off and Clonboo before Headford)

Thank you. Do these places have a car park etc or is it just pull in on the side of the road job ?

Annaghdown Pier. It has parking, a Pier for jumping off! and nearby, an impressive monastic ruin to potter about in. Dangan is easy enough, past the running pitches of NUIG. Menlo's tricky, you can go to the cemetery, there's a pier, you can park there, etc. but most people swim about Menlo castle and you've to stomp through a field or two. I hope this helps....

If you're a good swimmer, you can swim across the river from Dangan to Menlo

• Advertisement

Annaghdown Pier. It has parking, a Pier for jumping off! and nearby, an impressive monastic ruin to potter about in. Dangan is easy enough, past the running pitches of NUIG. Menlo's tricky, you can go to the cemetery, there's a pier, you can park there, etc. but most people swim about Menlo castle and you've to stomp through a field or two. I hope this helps....

If you're a good swimmer, you can swim across the river from Dangan to Menlo

Thanks.

For Dangan, I'm not too familiar with the running pitches really, can you drive in to the edge of the river or do you have to park up a bit away. I know I'm being pedantic, but I just have images of driving around for ages trying to find where these little spots are and where to park etc.

Right, Directions to Dangan...

So leaving Galway you take a right after the Westwood hotel, signposted the NUIG sports grounds. Go down that little road past the grounds on your right and to your left is the car park. You can go any further as there's a barrier across the road down to the lake now. The walk to the lake is about another 150-200 meters, not far. A lovely stroll under trees on a small road. It's a well known local swimming spot so it's not a remote difficult to find or get to.

Right, Directions to Dangan...

So leaving Galway you take a right after the Westwood hotel, signposted the NUIG sports grounds. Go down that little road past the grounds on your right and to your left is the car park. You can go any further as there's a barrier across the road down to the lake now. The walk to the lake is about another 150-200 meters, not far. A lovely stroll under trees on a small road. It's a well known local swimming spot so it's not a remote difficult to find or get to.

Thanks very much !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Google the hill of doon in oughterard.... beautiful spot with parking....but it takes a while to get to

Advertisement