Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Express as a wifi extender

Options
  • 25-08-2016 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has gotten an Airpirt Express to extend a non-Apple router?
    Does it only extend another extreme/express devices?

Thanks,
    Keith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think it only extends apple routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I have one connected by cable to my UPC Horizon box. Works perfectly. Almost 0 setup required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I have one connected by cable to my UPC Horizon box. Works perfectly. Almost 0 setup required.

Yeah works fine to create a Wifi network ... I want to use it to extend an existing wireless network

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Yeah works fine to create a Wifi network ... I want to use it to extend an existing wireless network

You would need another Extreme/Express or ideally a Time Capsule to use as a base model connected to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Not sure on the current gen ones but I did this a while ago with some older 1st gen ones and an old airport base station I had lying around when I was with Vodafone - was a real PIA to setup but got it working eventually. Moved to Sky and couldn't get them to work at all so gave up on it.

zinzan wrote: »
    Not sure on the current gen ones but I did this a while ago with some older 1st gen ones and an old airport base station I had lying around when I was with Vodafone - was a real PIA to setup but got it working eventually. Moved to Sky and couldn't get them to work at all so gave up on it.

Yeah tried with Sky router .... Unexpected error
    Green light but didn't seem to work

To answer my own question ....

The Airport Express does indeed extend some routers

I switched to Vodafone ... and the Express extended the router no problem (Huawei)

The 2 ports work as 2 outputs too ... handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

could an older airport extreme do this - i have one sitting in an attic so would be good to put it to some use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

ablelocks wrote: »
    could an older airport extreme do this - i have one sitting in an attic so would be good to put it to some use

Yep.

• Advertisement

Even better if you set up a "roaming" network rather than using the express/extreme as repeater

https://manski.net/2013/05/extending-wi-fi-networks-with-airport-express/

Advertisement