Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declaring a non fault motorbike claim on car insurance

Options
  • 25-08-2016 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was in an accident on my motorbike 5 months ago that wasn't my fault. Bike was paid for but injuries claim is still open.
    Me and my partners car insurance renewal came in and was wondering if I need to declare that accident to them? If so does it affect the premium?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

honda boi wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was in an accident on my motorbike 5 months ago that wasn't my fault. Bike was paid for but injuries claim is still open.
    Me and my partners car insurance renewal came in and was wondering if I need to declare that accident to them? If so does it affect the premium?
    Thanks

This is a difficult one.

It wont effect your premium as you were driving your bike and the other party is at fault.

However as you are involved in an ongoing injury claim, it may effect other insurers willingness to quote you.

You are obliged to inform your insurer if you are involved in any motor accidents during the course of the year so you should be telling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

This is a difficult one.

It wont effect your premium as you were driving your bike and the other party is at fault.

However as you are involved in an ongoing injury claim, it may effect other insurers willingness to quote you.

You are obliged to inform your insurer if you are involved in any motor accidents during the course of the year so you should be telling them.
    Thanks ,will be call them on Monday.
    I'll be staying with my current insurer as there the cheapest by far! So not worrief about moving.
    Would there be an increase in the premium since I didn't tell them right away.
    I was told I may only have to inform them come renewal time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

honda boi wrote: »
    Thanks ,will be call them on Monday.
    I'll be staying with my current insurer as there the cheapest by far! So not worrief about moving.
    Would there be an increase in the premium since I didn't tell them right away.
    I was told I may only have to inform them come renewal time.

You only need to inform them at renewal and it should not increase your premium.

There is no reason for them to charge you extra because there is no change to the risk they are insuring.

**this is my opinion based on my experience in case there are any ambiguities**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

So just rang them and told them.
    They said its grand as long as I'm not at fault.
    She also said I wasn't required to tell them as I wasn't at fault but she made a note of it anyway.
    Damn I'm scared what next years quote will be when they see that note :p

Advertisement