Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**UKCAT, HPAT + Medicine 2017 Entry**

Options
  • 26-08-2016 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Thought I would make one of these considering the UKCAT is coming up, and everyone for medicine is probably starting to practice with the HPAT

I am repeating my LC, and I was wondering, for those of you who are doing the UKCAT, what are you doing in terms of preparation. The 1000 UKCAT qs book is arriving any day now, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should be doing in terms of preparation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

*Bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Consonata wrote: »
    Thought I would make one of these considering the UKCAT is coming up, and everyone for medicine is probably starting to practice with the HPAT

I am repeating my LC, and I was wondering, for those of you who are doing the UKCAT, what are you doing in terms of preparation. The 1000 UKCAT qs book is arriving any day now, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should be doing in terms of preparation?

Have you applied for the UKCAT? Start your personal statement now. studentroom.co.uk is very good for resources. Make sure you look at each university's requirements, and make sure they accept repeat students. Look at whether they place more emphasis on UKCAT or personal statement or both etc. I think that book is good, I think the student room has more tips and you can probably find more if you google. I used Medify online for 1 week I think, it's around £30 pounds and I think I found it good. However I think you would probably be fine with the book, just make sure to go through the tips at the beginning of each section. Get used to using a computer calculator as it does slow you down, but try to do as much mental maths as possible and use educated guesses. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

What would be the lostest grade requirements of a UK Med school?
    Might be interested

What would be the lostest grade requirements of a UK Med school?
    Might be interested

I'm not sure what the requirements are this year with the new points system, but I know that in past years it tends to be easier to get into than the Republic provided you have Chemistry. Chemistry is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

When are you doing the test?

• Advertisement

When are you doing the test?

September 16th, Been doing more of the UKCAT questions, seems a lot more accessible than the HPAT.

Does anybody have any experience in doing the BMAT, and if you do where did you sit it and how did you find it. I see its a requirement for colleges like Imperial College London, Cambridge, Oxford, St. Marys and kings, but I'm just wondering is it worth my time doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

September 16th, Been doing more of the UKCAT questions, seems a lot more accessible than the HPAT.

Does anybody have any experience in doing the BMAT, and if you do where did you sit it and how did you find it. I see its a requirement for colleges like Imperial College London, Cambridge, Oxford, St. Marys and kings, but I'm just wondering is it worth my time doing it?

I was looking into the BMAT last year and it's tough enough going. It's less of an aptitude test than the HPAT and UKCAT though. The first section is the Aptitude test and it has questions similiar to those you'd find on the HPAT and UKCAT.

The second section is Scientific Knowledge.It's got Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology questions. If I remember right, it's mostly stuff you'd have covered at Leaving Cert level (maybe a little extra) assuming you've done all three sciences.

The third section then is an essay. You've to basically write an A4 page on a random topic. I think you get three titles and they were all roughly based around Medicine, Philosophy and Science.

So yeah it's tough enough going but if you're determined it might be worth it! It's very competitive I imagine as it's used by Oxbridge and Imperial, etc.

Plenty of books and resources out there for it though!

I looked into it but I decided against it in the end. Mostly because I only ended up applying to one place, but also that there are other places with lower requirements or others I would prefer to go to and it just wasn't worth the effort. Choose your four choices wisely!

How is peoples prep for the UKCAT going? My test is on Monday week in Derry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Indiankid

Selling 'Get Into Medical School. 1000 UKCAT Practice Questions. Includes Full Mock Exam'. Brand new.

Didn't need it in the end as I got the GAMSAT and started med school in Ireland. Selling it at 22 euros. Available for collection from Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 kenneththy2

I was reading the 2017 hpat information booklet on the Hpat Ireland website and it says on page 11 (On Test Day section)
    ''Clocks are provided in the test room. You may wear
    an analogue wristwatch, and any alarm or stopwatch
    features must be switched off. ''

Could someone tell me has this always been the rules? I'm wondering because I wear a digital watch and was planning on using my stopwatch feature..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

I was reading the 2017 hpat information booklet on the Hpat Ireland website and it says on page 11 (On Test Day section)

Could someone tell me has this always been the rules? I'm wondering because I wear a digital watch and was planning on using my stopwatch feature..

Yeah unfortunately that's how it is. I can only speak for the UCD centre but you won't get away with that. Same deal with highlighters etc

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Hey everyone!

I thought I'd set up a thread so we can chat about applying for medicine and the HPAT for 2017.

CAO & HPAT applications open on Friday, November 4th.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 nol980

Can't believe this applies to me!

How are people getting on with HPAT prep?

Anyone repeating, did they think the actual HPAT is harder or easier than the pratice papers given by the various prep courses?

What order of preference are people putting down on their CAOs? I'm a Dub and so far I'm thinking UCD, TCD, RCSI, NUI Galway, UCC. I'd be delighted with any but would love to get it in Dublin to avoid having to pay for student accomodation.

I hope there's a good response to this thread, last year's one was rather quiet. I'd be really interested in hearing how others are getting on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

I've done the HPAT twice and used my watch both times....my centre didn't check but they did say it on the day so I'd be careful but you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Stupid question but are you allowed to bring in a highlighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

Saw highlighters being taken away from people too last year.By all means give it a shot but I imagine they will take it away from you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you breach these rules, is it just a case of they take the watch/highlighter off you, or is there a chance you could be put out from the exam?

Can't help but wonder why this thread is so much quieter than previous years? I'd love to be able to use it as a platform to regularly discuss how it's going with others. Finding it hard to find outlets with people who relate to all this! Currently having one of those sleepless nights thinking about percentiles, I'm curious as to how many of the ~3000 who sit the Hpat get over 550 points. Only about 2,000 people in the country get over 550 and what maybe a quarter of them apply to medicine? Does this mean that if you get over 550 you're already in the top 500 of medicine applicants? And with a few hundred undergraduate places available in the Irish med schools, surely the odds are in your favour? Or am I missing something .... Ok so after writing this I saw the small print, although only 1,777 students got >550 points in 2015, this doesn't include the points going for HL maths which ~15,000 people sat. Game changer...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Daggermouth

Hi everyone. I sat the leaving and hpat last year and I got the points and am now in 1st year in UCD. But studying in Dublin is a nightmare with the whole accommodation problem, where paying 700 euro a month in rent is considered to be cheap. And not only that, but you have to begin apartment searching months in advance. I'm sitting the hpat this year again and hopefully I'll have enough points for Galway. I do like UCD, but for me, the pros and cons for Galway outweigh the pros and cons for UCD. Is anyone else in a similar situation to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If you're in first year med in UCD at the moment, it would be worth contacting NUIG re: the possibility of a transfer at the end of the year.

Assuming you complete the year successfully, there's not much point in starting the year over in Galway (and you will end up paying full fees as you are essentially repeating a year).

If you're in first year med in UCD at the moment, it would be worth contacting NUIG re: the possibility of a transfer at the end of the year.

Assuming you complete the year successfully, there's not much point in starting the year over in Galway (and you will end up paying full fees as you are essentially repeating a year).

I'll be able to transfer into 2nd year medicine and I'll be able to keep my SUSI grant as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I'll be able to transfer into 2nd year medicine and I'll be able to keep my SUSI grant as well.
    How is that possible, what course are you doing atm, if you dont mind me asking.

How is that possible, what course are you doing atm, if you dont mind me asking.

I'm the same person as a couple of comments above, I'm studying medicine in UCD.

Anyone want to post some points predictions? It's so hard to know whether I'm in with a shout or not this year with the new points system

Anyone want to post some points predictions? It's so hard to know whether I'm in with a shout or not this year with the new points system

Well, I think that the average LC points in the country will go up in 2017 as they will distribute more H1s than they did A1s in 2016. This is to prove that the new points system is better ... Also it's the reason why the A1 rate in most subjects dropped for 2016 results. So I'm not sure about overall points as no one knows what 2017 Hpat will be like but I think it's extremely likely there will be more H1s awarded to those sitting their lc in 2017 than A1s given to those who sat it in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Still don't know whether to try and do the HPAT or not. I don't know if I actually want to be a doctor. For every positive I think of about medicine another negative comes to mind to cancel it out.

nol980 wrote: »
    Well, I think that the average LC points in the country will go up in 2017 as they will distribute more H1s than they did A1s in 2016. This is to prove that the new points system is better ... Also it's the reason why the A1 rate in most subjects dropped for 2016 results. So I'm not sure about overall points as no one knows what 2017 Hpat will be like but I think it's extremely likely there will be more H1s awarded to those sitting their lc in 2017 than A1s given to those who sat it in 2016.
    Hmm I know what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree exactly. This could be partially wishful thinking on my part as a second timer but I can't see higher points across the board, that's not what this system was intended to do, it was brought in to reduce random selection. Personally I think there will be an equal amount of H1s as A1s given last year, to retain this bell curve we hear so much about.

But hey that's just my opinion basely largely on presumptions, who knows what will happen. What are you aiming for yourself points wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

nol980 wrote: »

Ugh that's so unfair to students who sat it last year!:mad:Surely they should be around the same as both an A1 and a H1 are above 90?

• Advertisement

Still don't know whether to try and do the HPAT or not. I don't know if I actually want to be a doctor. For every positive I think of about medicine another negative comes to mind to cancel it out.

Why not do it anyway and then decide after? It's better to have done it than not to have done it and regret it.

Advertisement