Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**UKCAT, HPAT + Medicine 2017 Entry**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 polkadot7

Still don't know whether to try and do the HPAT or not. I don't know if I actually want to be a doctor. For every positive I think of about medicine another negative comes to mind to cancel it out.
    I'm in the same position. I'm going to sit the HPAT as there's no harm in doing it just incase, but am unsure whether I'll put medicine down on the CAO. Out of curiosity, what are the positives and negatives of medicine as you see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

polkadot7 wrote: »
    I'm in the same position. I'm going to sit the HPAT as there's no harm in doing it just incase, but am unsure whether I'll put medicine down on the CAO. Out of curiosity, what are the positives and negatives of medicine as you see them?

Pros:
    Good job prospects, get to work with people, good variety of work, learning practical skills etc.

Cons:
    A lot of moving around on contracts, making serious decisions on a daily basis, dealing with the aftermath of screwing up, taking several years to fully qualify, sometimes ridiculous working hours, sacrificing social life on a regular basis etc.

I don't know if a course that would lead to something more office-based and 9-5 based would be more suited to me, even if it meant sacrificing the variety and so-called "prestige" that comes with medicine :pac: ...maybe I've just answered that for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14 polkadot7

Pros:
    Good job prospects, get to work with people, good variety of work, learning practical skills etc.

Cons:
    A lot of moving around on contracts, making serious decisions on a daily basis, dealing with the aftermath of screwing up, taking several years to fully qualify, sometimes ridiculous working hours, sacrificing social life on a regular basis etc.

I don't know if a course that would lead to something more office-based and 9-5 based would be more suited to me, even if it meant sacrificing the variety and so-called "prestige" that comes with medicine :pac: ...maybe I've just answered that for myself
    Medicine offers a diverse range of career opportunities that wouldn't all lead to crazy working hours etc. (Agree/disagree?)

Also, I agree that the "prestige" is what attracts lots of students.

I'd imagine there's a power being forced into it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

I'm in the same boat as a few people above. Not sure if I wanna do it, but doing it so I won't regret not doing it. The only thing is , I've done no prep whatsoever as I've only recently decided to definitely do it. I don't even know what format and type of questions do come up so if anyone knows any good sources/links or advice I can practice a few questions and be a bit more prepared, I'd be really grateful:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 nol980

Really hope the amount of H1s distributed in 2017 is level with 2016. I'm aiming for high 500s points-wise, I can't really see myself getting 90th percentile in the Hpat. What about everyone else? On M**E**** how many of the exams and drills are people hoping to have completed by the HPAT?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

polkadot7 wrote: »

Also, I agree that the "prestige" is what attracts lots of students.

I think it's often the lack of any experience of expected 'prestige' that leads to such high rates of depression, addiction and suicide in the profession. Certainly wouldn't be a choice I'd like to see any of my loved ones make.
    nol980 wrote: »
    Really hope the amount of H1s distributed in 2017 is level with 2016.

Look at the statistics over the past ten years or so. There is very little change in percentages of grades year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Its the H2s I'm going to be curious about, considering that is B1 and A2 mushed together. As a repeat, I'm not sure how I feel about the value of 88/89% being the same as 81/82

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Consonata wrote: »
    Its the H2s I'm going to be curious about, considering that is B1 and A2 mushed together. As a repeat, I'm not sure how I feel about the value of 88/89% being the same as 81/82

You should feel good about it. It's basically an A2 with an extra 3 pts. If you put in the effort you shouldn't be fearful of the bell curve

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CH1123581321

Would any of you be able to tell me how many questions right out of 110 in the hpat should we be getting in order to have some hope at getting medicine?
    Now I know since section 1 and 2 are worth 40% getting more questions right in them would be more beneficial than getting them right in section 3 as its only worth 20% but I'm just wondering if ye have any general idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

Would any of you be able to tell me how many questions right out of 110 in the hpat should we be getting in order to have some hope at getting medicine?
    Now I know since section 1 and 2 are worth 40% getting more questions right in them would be more beneficial than getting them right in section 3 as its only worth 20% but I'm just wondering if ye have any general idea?

I'm also wondering this and how would I calculate my percentile?

Would ye say it's better to do the practice papers by taking your time and analysing each question or by actually doing them under the time constraints we'll have in the real thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FirstDraft1

Would ye say it's better to do the practice papers by taking your time and analysing each question or by actually doing them under the time constraints we'll have in the real thing?

The latter definitely. Maybe try the first one slowly and familiarise yourself with it, but after that you might as well simulate exam conditions.

Was the hpat Ulster on yesterday? Does their test resemble ours in anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rosalind151

2 med students give advice on how to do well in the HPAT
    http://www.625points.com/2017/01/hpat-ireland-preparation-tips.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ann-Marie

Thanks for sharing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Does anyone know what time the Hpat exam actually starts at?
    I got my admission ticket yesterday and it says arrival time 9:45, does everyone have different arrival times?

Mine says 9:45 as well

9:45 here too... anyone know how many people will be sitting it in Ucd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

9:45 here too... anyone know how many people will be sitting it in Ucd?
    UCD has an insane amount of people in O'Reilly hall. Prepare yourself.

• Advertisement

UCD has an insane amount of people in O'Reilly hall. Prepare yourself.

Yikes... thanks for the heads up though. I hope it won't be too stuffy in there.

so this day next week..... :/

Lets have you HPAT 2017

Can't believe how soon it is. What work are all of you planning on doing this week, if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Can't believe how soon it is. What work are all of you planning on doing this week, if any?

Hopefully finishing off the 4 odd papers I have left, and then kind of pad it with drills.

What about yourself?

Consonata wrote: »
    Hopefully finishing off the 4 odd papers I have left, and then kind of pad it with drills.

What about yourself?

Something similar here. I've 2 papers left so will space those out and then do a few drills each day.. I think I'll do a good bit of reading too because my section 2 has gone to the dogs. I'd planned on doing no work the week before but don't feel nearly prepared enough..!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

When filling in the admission ticket slip does anybody know what the ID document number is? I will be using my learner permit for ID. :confused:

Just curious as to what the general concensus is in the secondary schools, are teachers expecting points for medicine (or in general) to drop or rise with this new system? A lot of repeats seem to be negatively affected by the new points system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just curious as to what the general concensus is in the secondary schools, are teachers expecting points for medicine (or in general) to drop or rise with this new system? A lot of repeats seem to be negatively affected by the new points system.

It will all stay much the same in terms of how many places there are and how many pleased/disappointed students there are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

I haven't received an admission ticket or anything since I signed up? Should I email them?

Advertisement