Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**UKCAT, HPAT + Medicine 2017 Entry**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 em0192

Absolutely over the moon with my results !!!! Nearly died when I read the page lol.
    Hope everyone was happy with theirs :)!

em0192 wrote: »
    Absolutely over the moon with my results !!!! Nearly died when I read the page lol.
    Hope everyone was happy with theirs :)!

How did you do?

How did you do?

97th percentile, I really can't believe it !!

97th percentile, I really can't believe it !!

fantastic, well done to you!

Just heard my son got same, 192, so 97th as well

what college are you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 harich56

Are people predicting points for medicine to go up or go down with the new leaving cert points system?

• Advertisement

fantastic, well done to you!

Just heard my son got same, 192, so 97th as well

what college are you hoping for?

Aw well done to him too , he must be delighted. Hoping for UCD if all goes well in august ! What about your son?

harich56 wrote: »
    Are people predicting points for medicine to go up or go down with the new leaving cert points system?

I doubt there will be a big points change , I don't see how it could affect the points required too much !

Aw well done to him too , he must be delighted. Hoping for UCD if all goes well in august ! What about your son?

he has TCD first atm, but may change to UCD...

probably not much difference, apart from the lack of pre med in tcd and the teaching hospitals of course

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

Why isn't boards hopping 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

So I'm at 720 (2 points away from Galway last year-which is my first choice) I'm just accepting fate that medicine isn't for me, I just feel like I wasted a load of time and money trying to repeat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

OK, so I got 167...which means I'd need a leaving cert of 580 or more to get into the lowest-points medicine course last year.

Aside from all the "leave medicine on your CAO you never know what might happen" could somebody, especially anybody here that repeated, give me advice on this:

Can I realistically get into medicine with a HPAT like that?

So I'm at 720 (2 points away from Galway last year-which is my first choice) I'm just accepting fate that medicine isn't for me, I just feel like I wasted a load of time and money trying to repeat it.

You never know! Points system is changing this year so you might just get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Don't give up. You never know what way the points will go. If things don't work out well, I would honestly do it again. I know you already repeated it but so many people do it a few times to get it. My advice is to do it again. I know a good few people who did it multiple times to get in and they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 redman77

Hi, Does anyone know how the H Pat 2017 results will affect Med points? My son got 160 but thinks this is not enough even if he gets 595ish in the LC, any advice would be great as he is beside himself with worry
    thanks folks
    worried parent, keep telling him that he can rethink second options but he has his heart set on Med, very proud Dad

Okay so I got a really good hpat score but I'm starting to reconsider medicine. It's such a specific course

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Medhopeful123

redman77 wrote: »
    Hi, Does anyone know how the H Pat 2017 results will affect Med points? My son got 160 but thinks this is not enough even if he gets 595ish in the LC, any advice would be great as he is beside himself with worry
    thanks folks
    worried parent, keep telling him that he can rethink second options but he has his heart set on Med, very proud Dad

To be honest no one can be really sure how the new points system and hpat will effect the entry points, it's just a waiting game now. With your sons points he could get into cork or Galway with 595/600 and if the points go down (hopefully) he would stand an even better chance of getting in. I'm in the same position with 160 points as well. I did the hpat last year and got 177 points so I am very disappointed. I had to repeat my leaving so I'm just hoping that it went well and that's there still a chance for us once the entry points are released! I understand your sons worry completely but there's really not much we can do now except wait and definitely consider Other courses that he would like to do just in case. I hope this helps a little bit!

Ponguin wrote: »
    Okay so I got a really good hpat score but I'm starting to reconsider medicine. It's such a specific course

Same here, I'm seriously considering striking it off my CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Same here, I'm seriously considering striking it off my CAO.
    Take it off if you have decided med isn't for you ... Don't take it off over worry about points at this stage. You will take a hammer to your ba ... toes if you take it off, genuinely want it, and scrape the points, even in a later round.

This year will be especially unpredictable with new scoring system.

Take it off if you have decided med isn't for you ... Don't take it off over worry about points at this stage. You will take a hammer to your ba ... toes if you take it off, genuinely want it, and scrape the points, even in a later round.

This year will be especially unpredictable with new scoring system.

Last night I said to myself that it would be great in some ways if I got a poor HPAT, because it would give me an excuse to take it off my CAO.

I don't really want to do it anymore. I could, if I wanted to, but I don't think that means I should, despite what guidance counsellors, friends and family tell me (the whole "wasting points" mindset)

If I do Medicine, I'll probably never study maths in any big way ever again, and it's the only subject from my leaving cert that I really would like to pursue a bit further, so I'm seriously leaning towards biomedical engineering now, which I feel I was gravitating towards these last 2 years anyway.

Even at open days, I could never hack the stereotypical ultra-social, super-extroverted prospective medicine students. The engineering and science buildings always felt more relaxed.

Best of luck to anyone heading into medicine, but for me, I think this is where I call it off before I land myself in something I don't really want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mbh008

I got the 78 percentile and 169 points
    Do you guys think I have a chance?
    I'm slowly starting to lose hope..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't really want to do it anymore. I could, if I wanted to, but I don't think that means I should, despite what guidance counsellors, friends and family tell me (the whole "wasting points" mindset)
    Then don't.

The only way points are wasted is if you use them to gain entry to a course you don't want (and which someone else would sacrifice their right one for in this case!). And yes, you may quote me on that! :p:D

In order to survive in medicine in particular, both as a student and a practitioner, you require a lot more than high points ... and the first of those is that you actually have an interest in both medicine as an academic subject and in what medicine is actually about: healing people!
    If I do Medicine, I'll probably never study maths in any big way ever again, and it's the only subject from my leaving cert that I really would like to pursue a bit further, so I'm seriously leaning towards biomedical engineering now, which I feel I was gravitating towards these last 2 years anyway.
    Someone who loves maths / is good at them has many, many options.
    Best of luck to anyone heading into medicine, but for me, I think this is where I call it off before I land myself in something I don't really want to do.
    Attaboy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CH1123581321

Does anybody know if the points for medicine dropped in the 2nd round of offers last year?

mbh008 wrote: »
    I got the 78 percentile and 169 points
    Do you guys think I have a chance?
    I'm slowly starting to lose hope..

Going on last years points , you could get in to Galway if you get 570 in your leaving cert

Does anybody know if the points for medicine dropped in the 2nd round of offers last year?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/education/download-2016-cao-points-for-all-college-offers-1.2764223%3Fmode%3Damp

I don't think they did but all points for round 1 and 2 are available on this link!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mbh008

Going on last years points , you could get in to Galway if you get 570 in your leaving cert

Fingers crossed then
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 polkadot7

I got a good result in the HPAT and it's very likely that I will have enough points when combined with my LC results in August (I'm a first-timer). However, I'm just not sure if I should put it down on the CAO.

I know I would be 100% interested in the subject matter involved but I'm not sure if the lifestyle is for me. Some days I think "I would love to study medicine", and other days I think "Why would I go through all that?". I love business, maths, IT etc. too, and I know that I would be equally interested in doing something related to them, but again, I'm unsure! I don't know what to do!!!

If I choose it, it will be a big risk but I know that I am very lucky to have this opportunity when I am young, on my first attempt, and if I don't take it now I will never get the chance again, or will never get this chance as easy again (I know that the graduate-entry route is long and expensive!)

If I do medicine, I might find that I absolutely love it (which would be great!), and if I don't like it I could just drop out and do something else. However, if I do something else and decide that I should have done medicine after all, I can't just simply drop out and go in to medicine easily the following year! All to decide before Friday...

Anyone have advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

polkadot7 wrote: »
    I got a good result in the HPAT and it's very likely that I will have enough points when combined with my LC results in August (I'm a first-timer). However, I'm just not sure if I should put it down on the CAO.

I know I would be 100% interested in the subject matter involved but I'm not sure if the lifestyle is for me. Some days I think "I would love to study medicine", and other days I think "Why would I go through all that?". I love business, maths, IT etc. too, and I know that I would be equally interested in doing something related to them, but again, I'm unsure! I don't know what to do!!!

If I choose it, it will be a big risk but I know that I am very lucky to have this opportunity when I am young, on my first attempt, and if I don't take it now I will never get the chance again, or will never get this chance as easy again (I know that the graduate-entry route is long and expensive!)

If I do medicine, I might find that I absolutely love it (which would be great!), and if I don't like it I could just drop out and do something else. However, if I do something else and decide that I should have done medicine after all, I can't just simply drop out and go in to medicine easily the following year! All to decide before Friday...

Anyone have advice?

You are echoing my thoughts! Studying medicine is such a huge commitment and a tough decision to make when it's based on very little knowledge of what the medical world is like.

Honestly, I think you've answered your own question! Just like myself, there seems to be a little part of you at least that would like to do medicine. If you give it a chance you could love it but if you don't you will never know and ten years down the road you could regret not taking the opportunity. As you said yourself, you can get into any other course but its extremely difficult to get into medicine. So if you get it that easy take it! :)

My mother keeps telling me "if medicine is for you, you'll get it!" If you can manage to get the necessary points in both the HPAT and Leaving Cert on your first attempt, then take it as a sign that it's meant to be! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 polkadot7

You are echoing my thoughts! Studying medicine is such a huge commitment and a tough decision to make when it's based on very little knowledge of what the medical world is like.

Honestly, I think you've answered your own question! Just like myself, there seems to be a little part of you at least that would like to do medicine. If you give it a chance you could love it but if you don't you will never know and ten years down the road you could regret not taking the opportunity. As you said yourself, you can get into any other course but its extremely difficult to get into medicine. So if you get it that easy take it! :)

My mother keeps telling me "if medicine is for you, you'll get it!" If you can manage to get the necessary points in both the HPAT and Leaving Cert on your first attempt, then take it as a sign that it's meant to be! :D

Thanks! Glad to hear I'm not alone.

Throughout 6th year I spent my time researching other courses because I decided that since medicine wasn't my out-and-out lifetime ambition since before I could walk that I shouldn't go for it. Anyone I have spoken to has said that you need a passion for it (obviously, same for any course/career) but how do you know when you're 18?

Now that I have the opportunity in front of me I'm very very tempted but still don't know what to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

I'm going to bite the bullet and go for it if I get it. I got a good HPAT result and am hoping the Leaving Cert has gone well so I have a good chance.

To be honest, I don't know if I am passionate about medicine or any course, and I won't know til I try them. I've ruled out so many courses because I wasn't feeling any love for them but there is just something about medicine that has always stuck. If you are the same as me and keep going back to medicine and considering it then there is obviously something you like about it!

Have a good backup plan too though just in case something funny happens with the points and the new grading system

• Advertisement

polkadot7 wrote: »

Anyone have advice?

If there's other fields you can see yourself enjoying and doing well in I'd give them serious thought before committing to medicine.

You mention the lifestyle not suiting you, which is a very valid concern. Maybe you could write down the different careers/courses you're considering and the different pros and cons associated with each, such as lifestyle, the type of work involved, how long it takes to fully qualify, your interest in the subject matter, what kind of hours are involved (9 to 5, nighttime work etc.) as well as the stress and pressure involved in each.

It's what I did and it really helped me crystallise what I actually wanted to do.

Advertisement