Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scratched car - estimate in repairing?

• 26-08-2016 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I scratched my dads car.. im an idiot. I drove into a driveway that has a small wall and took the turn too soon. The scratches are about 6" long and theres about 4 of them one underneath the other on the door. No dents or anything.Im gutted. Havent told him yet and he hasnt noticed and was hoping to get it repaired first and then telling hin it happened . Its an 05 renault and common enough colour. Is there a way I could do it myself ? Or how much would u reckon it will cost? Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How bad is the damage, are you looking at exposed metal or are the scrapes just the top coat. The least number of panels that are damaged the better as only these portions will need to be resprayed. Don't attempt a respray yourself, it will end in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭U1D2C3

How bad is the damage, are you looking at exposed metal or are the scrapes just the top coat. The least number of panels that are damaged the better as only these portions will need to be resprayed. Don't attempt a respray yourself, it will end in tears.

Hmm, the scratches are white anyway. Ill say that yea the metal is exposed alright. Fairly deep enough. Well maybe a few millimeters deep, about even half a centimeter. Any ideas? Thanks for response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This could be worth a try, may work to tidy it but if it's down to the metal nothing but respray will work...

This could be worth a try, may work to tidy it but if it's down to the metal nothing but respray will work...

Thanks a mill. Might give that a go tomorrow but the scratches are a bit deeper than.they are on the car in the video, not much. Hell be wondering why the car is suspiciously clean. Lol :D can a garage just do a quick respray there and then or would they usually need an appointment would u know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

U1D2C3 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill. Might give that a go tomorrow but the scratches are a bit deeper than.they are on the car in the video, not much. Hell be wondering why the car is suspiciously clean. Lol :D can a garage just do a quick respray there and then or would they usually need an appointment would u know?

That won't work for deep scratches down to the metal. And there's no such thing as a 'quick respray'. It'll need to be prepped. It'll need a base coat. It'll need to be blended. What if they have to order paint in?

Fess up. And tell him you're very sorry, you're going to get it sorted, and you'll be more careful in future.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    That won't work for deep scratches down to the metal. And there's no such thing as a 'quick respray'. It'll need to be prepped. It'll need a base coat. It'll need to be blended. What if they have to order paint in?

Fess up. And tell him you're very sorry, you're going to get it sorted, and you'll be more careful in future.

Yea I know you're right. Have no experience with this stuff. My own car was a pile of crap and never cared about scratches or dents, it was old and on its way out until it just wasnt worth getting anything internal fixed anymore. Hes doing me a favour lending me his while im saving for a new one for myself. But sob story aside, it'd be great to have it even booked in to be fixed before telling him and soften the blow. Hes planning on trading it in in a few months and id say I just devalued it by a few hundred euro :( even an idea of a price would be a great help so when I do go to garages tomorrowill know what to expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

U1D2C3 wrote: »
    Yea I know you're right. Have no experience with this stuff. My own car was a pile of crap and never cared about scratches or dents, it was old and on its way out until it just wasnt worth getting anything internal fixed anymore. Hes doing me a favour lending me his while im saving for a new one for myself. But sob story aside, it'd be great to have it even booked in to be fixed before telling him and soften the blow. Hes planning on trading it in in a few months and id say I just devalued it by a few hundred euro :( even an idea of a price would be a great help so when I do go to garages tomorrowill know what to expect

Would be impossible to say without seeing. You'll have to pop up a pic or two...

I think its worse than it looks. A bit of paint was left on the wall corners too. Getting it washed today at the carwash and all the dust will be gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

get some tcut and give it a rub, nothing to lose and it may reduce the look of it to something acceptable on a 11 year old car.

Just tell your Dad, surely he's not an ogre and will have factored in that you may scratch the car if he lends it to you

Will give it a go. Thanks :) the problem is is that hes probably the complete opposite of an ogre and is always so good about everything. Which makes the guilts much worse lol :D thanks for the help. The panic is starting to go subside haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Is it a Megane ?

A few scratches won't decrease the value much (I know, I had an 04 version).:-)

Seriously though I doubt you'll get away with it. Most products won't work even if it's just scratched to the primer, which yours certainly is.

Get him a few bottles of wine and cigars or whatever.

Advertisement