Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automation

Options
  • 26-08-2016 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hows it going, I'm a computer science student looking to learn a few tricks, so with work i get an email with an excel file attached for my hours. What I'm trying to do is take my hours and add them to my google calendar so i can check them on my phone. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

spudato7 wrote: »
    Hows it going, I'm a computer science student looking to learn a few tricks, so with work i get an email with an excel file attached for my hours. What I'm trying to do is take my hours and add them to my google calendar so i can check them on my phone. Any help is appreciated.

Do you have a particular language in mind?

You could do most of this in PowerShell. You can import an Excel spreadsheet (though see this post for some advice on how to do this depending on the formatting used), then implement logic to parse the sheet contents and identify whatever changes are needed.

For making changes to your Google calendar things are a bit more tricky - If you were dealing with a Microsoft account it'd almost certainly be simpler (the Office365 module should make this stuff pretty easy), but with Google accounts it looks like you'll need to install the Google Data .NET API, load the .NET assembly in PowerShell, then figure out how to use the available methods to publish changes to your calendar.

Sounds like a good learning exercise :)

Advertisement