Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should they plant a big hedge in the median of M50?

• 26-08-2016 7:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

it would at least stop the ridiculous rubber necking on both sides when a little boy stops for a pee on one side.
    Guards should also be told to turn off their lights once they've pulled someone over as the result from rubbernecking is chaos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hedges don't cut themselves though. Major disruption when that needs doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

RobAMerc wrote: »
    it would at least stop the ridiculous rubber necking on both sides when a little boy stops for a pee on one side.
    Guards should also be told to turn off their lights once they've pulled someone over as the result from rubbernecking is chaos

Stopping on the M50 to let a child pee?? The mind boggles. Get off at the next exit or let them wee in the seat using something absorbent. Better a wet seat than a dead child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

colm_mcm wrote: »

good point unless (god forbid) they did it overnight regularly
    a big barrier - lets call it the "idiot proof fence"

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Stopping on the M50 to let a child pee?? The mind boggles. Get off at the next exit or let them wee in the seat using something absorbent. Better a wet seat than a dead child.

i think your missing the point ! please dont try derail the thread ( if intentional )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

i think your missing the point ! please dont try derail the thread ( if intentional )

Yeah or they're be rubber neckers in here. You can usually tell they're here by the smell of popcorn :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I reckon a big LCD display down the middle with advertising....we need more advertising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

turning off their lights when they are a stationary hazard on the hard shoulder? I don't think you've thought this through.

turning off the roof lights yea - there is no need for them, people see them dont worry : no one is going to rear end a parked squad car on the hard shoulder, they are far more likely to rear end the car in front whos braking to look across the road at whats happening or hit someone while they rubberneck themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

turning off their lights when they are a stationary hazard on the hard shoulder? I don't think you've thought this through.

Wouldnt be impossible to have a switch for rear facing strobes

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

RobAMerc wrote:
    good point unless (god forbid) they did it overnight regularly

If you've ever driven the m50 at night.m, you'll have seen the amount of work it takes for them to do any maintenance jobs.

I do love the idea of a hedge though. Maybe the should prune it by helicopter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

44km road

Say €100/m for fence on top of barrier.
    Hedge is a silly idea. There's prob a meter of tar in places down the M50.
    And hedges have to be cut.

Any fence would havee to be passively safe in event of a crash = expensive

100x44000=€4,400,000

Prob add at least 100,000 for Traffic Management = €4.5 million

Add 15% for Overheads of however does it = €5.2 million

Profit of Contractor 7% =€5.5 million

Fence will have to be maintained and replaced following any collisions and wear/tear say 2% per annum over 20 years = €1.8 million

Total cost of €7.3 million

Now justify that to the people without houses/hospitals/whatever

As for guards turning off lights.
    Drivers are idiots.
    More lights = more chance of getting home in the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hedges are a bad idea due to needing to be cut, I remember a council getting grief for using astro turf on a new road till they explained the costs of maintaining proper grass. What could be installed are solar panels and a opaque fence to stop rubber necking, the panels won't be working at full efficiency but would do enough to cover costs, they should be installed on all Motorways so that the morons who use full beams don't blind oncoming motorists.

Emergency services use lights to protect themselves, even still there's plenty of in car footage of motorists hitting them even with the lights on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

All this giving out about hedges being a bad idea. Maybe they could be artificial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

turning off the roof lights yea - there is no need for them, people see them dont worry : no one is going to rear end a parked squad car on the hard shoulder, they are far more likely to rear end the car in front whos braking to look across the road at whats happening or hit someone while they rubberneck themselves

you obviously have never had to work on a active motorway I as a member of an emergency service have and I can tell you the more lights I have on the better and also the more lanes I can block with my vehicle the better I'm sure people hate when we block lanes because it's holding them up us Doing this and have our lights on are for OUR safety its up to other road users to drive correctly (ha)I agree rubber neckers are a plague but so are the people who feel the need to not slow down at all or give us any space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »

Closure of right lane from 22-4 - hardly any disruption...

No disruption alright

You need to close a lane in each direction to cut a hedge in such a narrow median. So cannot do mobile closures (one would be reversing)

Costs min €1500 in labour and diesel to close and open one lane.

Creating regular maintenance hence cost and risk where there was very little previously (gullies only really)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

scanlone wrote: »
    No disruption alright

You need to close a lane in each direction to cut a hedge in such a narrow median. So cannot do mobile closures (one would be reversing)

Costs min €1500 in labour and diesel to close and open one lane.

Creating regular maintenance hence cost and risk where there was very little previously (gullies only really)

110m generated annually from the tolls.

There's no shortage of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

What's with all the hedge talk, Gardening forum
    > :D

Or we could build a wall, next time Trump is down in Clare we should ask his advice.:D

Or people could just drive properly.
    turning off the roof lights yea - there is no need for them, people see them dont worry : no one is going to rear end a parked squad car on the hard shoulder,

Monaghan-crash.jpg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

At least that's an i30 out.......

grogi wrote: »
    Closure of right lane from 22-4 - hardly any disruption...

For the one person operating the hedge cutter you're going to need at least 5 others keeping them safe. A visual barrier is badly needed on motorways but it doesn't have to be a hedge. All that is needed is a fence with the same cost to install, or maybe less considering that the M50 is all concrete barriers so would need substantial soil for a hedge to be safe and viable, with less maintenance required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i get where OP is coming from, when people see flashing lights on other side of motorway they slow down for a nosy, by building a fence or something to block this view people would just carry on not knowing anything has happened on the far side

Picture2.jpg

Idiot drivers everywhere. If I was a guard I'd look for more not less lighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I disagree, if the lights are flashing that means a guard will be leaving their car to walk up to the car they have pulled over. being a few inches away from a busy road where the speed limit is 100kph is very dangerous.

A hedge is pretty much impossible. The center divide is reinforced concrete, all that would need to be removed before the required top soil would have to be brought in. Very time consuming job, and would take months to complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Del2005 wrote: »
    For the one person operating the hedge cutter you're going to need at least 5 others keeping them safe.

The cutting cost does not convince me... You'd need two sign trucks (one at ~500m, one at ~150m and a hedge cutter). That's three people in total.

highway-maintenance-truck-carrying-signs-and-bollards-bwncmm.jpg

agriculturalmain.jpg

There are other things to consider - how much fumes the plants can tolerate for instance.
    A visual barrier is badly needed on motorways but it doesn't have to be a hedge. All that is needed is a fence with the same cost to install, or maybe less considering that the M50 is all concrete barriers so would need substantial soil for a hedge to be safe and viable, with less maintenance required.

I absolutely get that. I don't know M50 well enough and planting a hedge at M50 might not be feasible.

However the roads need to be designed with green areas in mind. Our roads are bad enough as they are - there is hardly any landscaping done once they are finished. Building them green brings enormous benefit - green is known to calm drivers down, reduce noise levels escaping the motorway etc.

As those photos show, there is much more danger on the carriageway that the obstruction is on. Truly daft idea ,planting hedges

The cutting cost does not convince me... You'd need two sign trucks (one at ~500m, one at ~150m and a hedge cutter). That's three people in total.

Actually one at 1km, one at 500m, one at 250m and one in the cushion =4
    2 no hedgecutters

As I said earlier you need to close the lanes in both directions to cut a hedge in such a narrow median as the debris would be all over cars on the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Caliden wrote: »
    110m generated annually from the tolls. There's no shortage of money.

€50m a year goes to NTR to pay for the buy-out of the Westlink contract.
    €14m a year goes to Sanef to pay for the operation of the toll.
    Almost €8m a year goes to subsidise the M3 and Limerick tunnel tolls.
    It costs €0.5m a year just to keep the lights on.

I don't have figures for the tow-away service, the incident response service, gritting during the winter and the ongoing maintenance of the motorway which can't be cheap considering it takes a team of about ten men to patch a pothole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There's a reason why you're told to get out of your car and over the armco when you break down in the hard shoulder. Cars in hard shoulders get wiped out on motorways around the world all the time.

yes, very scary place to be,

• Advertisement

One person in each of the sign trucks, on both sides of the motorway, and 3 people in the cone truck (A driver, a person to pick and place the cones and a person to unstack and stack on the back of the truck), there are semi auto cone layers so you might be able to remove 1 person. You'll need a vacuum truck or 2 for picking up debris. Then you'll need a site safety person and for work on an active motorway who knows what else. At least 8 people to cut a hegde.

We could paint the barriers green. Having people on a motorway at any time of the day or night is dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

But if there's a hedge I won't be able to see the Hawaiian Tropic girls when they stop the bus looking for a guy to oil then up on their tour !

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

They should make the M50 into a big beach and fill the area inside it with seawater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

In the UK they have large movable barriers that are easily placed near and around accidents. Nothing to see, nothing to stop for. They've saved millions already in lost time etc.

Of course, would be great if they educated people on motorways. We should have a two stage permit system like Canada e.g. The highway license, which you get after passing your primary driving test. And before anyone lamps in and say they live in the wilds, tough. If you want to drive on a piece of tarmac where your chances of living while standing on the shoulder are lower than the Green Mile in Baghdad, just take the day to do the test. Some pride in our driving would go a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The idea of a central fence panel has merit,except it could make it feel claustrophobic... the solar panel idea is clever.. except for idiots crashing into them

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement