Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Home Park to Close

Options
  • 26-08-2016 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

East Coast FM report that Fairfield Park mobile homes site is to close next year.
    Located behind old Ormonde Cinema.
    Low income and elderly residents.
    Is this a consequence of the marina development?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cerco wrote: »
    East Coast FM report that Fairfield Park mobile homes site is to close next year.
    Located behind old Ormonde Cinema.
    Low income and elderly residents.
    Is this a consequence of the marina development?

I don't think the marina has any connection to Fairfield Park, but it's presumably valuable development land. Do the residents rent the plots or the mobile homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

loyatemu wrote: »
    I don't think the marina has any connection to Fairfield Park, but it's presumably valuable development land. Do the residents rent the plots or the mobile homes?

I know someone who rented there recently - they rented a mobile. They were then immediately given notice to quit by August 2017.

including the old sewage works site which it adjoins, it's about 5 acres - you could probably build apartments on the railway side of the site, and houses on the rest. worth a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

From Irish Times

"Up to 100 low-income residents of a caravan park in Greystones, Co Wicklow, face homelessness, having been given notice to quit by their landlord.

Fairfield Park, which has been open since 1973, is to close next year. Its owner Haven Homes says the decision is made with “great sadness” but can “no longer be postponed”. "

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/families-face-homelessness-amid-caravan-park-closure-1.2768720

Heard rumor that the adjacent lands where old sewerage works used to be also sold. So I'm guessing a developer purchases both plots.

I'm not quite sure the landlord of Fairfield Park is as sad as the residents who are about to be evicted are!

Duplicate thread

PPP rep saying "the council should purchase the land and renovate the homes." I expect the land will be eye-wateringly expensive given the location, and the mobile homes sound completely beyond renovation. The council should probably build new homes/apartments on the land it already owns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

The exorbitant prices quoted for the marina housing would certainly encourage any land owner in the vicinity to consider their options.

I hope the Council will provide suitable accommodation for anyone left in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Very sad news for the residents for sure. Fairfield Park was never intended as a permanent residential home for for those living there. It was more a holiday location that then evolved into a more than temporary/holiday location.
    I remember it being in the news regularly regarding planning permission and the lack of.
    Still it is sad news but it must be remembered that the landowner has provided hundreds of family's with a home over the past 50 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

God I feel old. Worked on the construction of the "old" sewerage works in my student days in summers of 85 and 86. State of the art yet never even commissioned and contractor ended up in High Court battling with the council.

Remember there was a royal wedding on tv one day (Fergie and Andrew in 86??) and we had to stop work on hammering piles so the Fairfield Park residents could watch the ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

loyatemu wrote: »
    Duplicate thread

PPP rep saying "the council should purchase the land and renovate the homes." I expect the land will be eye-wateringly expensive given the location, and the mobile homes sound completely beyond renovation. The council should probably build new homes/apartments on the land it already owns.

I think the aaapbp rep called for new houses to be built and was misquoted.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Goodbye Jurassic Park, extinction comes to everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement