Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for x51 Upgrade

Options
  • 26-08-2016 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

I currently have an Alienware x51 r2.

- i7 4770 3.4Ghz
    - Nvidia GTX 670
    - 8GB RAM
    - 1TB HHD
    - 330W power supply

I'd like to upgrade in about 6 months or so, but i'm not sure what approach to take. Would appreciate some suggestions.

Originally I was thinking of squeezing a GTX 970 into the small case, and possibly upgrading the RAM.

But part of me is thinking of ditching the small case altogether, and expanding into a proper tower.

I mainly play Arma 3 which is CPU intensive. If possible i'd like to do a bit of video editing.

Budget is around €500. No peripherals needed. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You're actually well set for anything and everything bar the GPU (which is getting old but still not bad).

Personally I would bang in a blower model RX480, GTX1060 or GTX970 and maybe a 120 or 240GB SSD for Windows and the games you play most often, makes a huge difference. Upping the ram to 16GB not strictly necessary but if it's in budget....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Go GTX 1060 instead of GTX 970/RX 480; the lower power draw will be of help in that rig.

IIRC the motherboard on Alienware machines isn't true ATX standard & has trouble fitting into standard cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

they may have changed that. I have an older dell optiplex with a 3770 in it, and have moved it to a different case. So OP you might be in luck, but a bit of measuring might not go a miss

Advertisement