Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corrective Insoles

• 26-08-2016 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Do they work?

I visited Elverys to get new trainers and got talked into the test. The man said my feet lean inwards that will impact my training. ...i can't say I've noticed any problems before, any pain i felt, I would just chalk it up to soreness from training.

But I bought the insoles and tbh, while I can see whatvhe was talking about, with me feet leaning inwards, they make no difference. They don't correct my stance at all, they're just a flimsy rubber/plastic material...certainly not enough to force my feet into place.

Was I dupped or are these things sincere?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Do they work?

I visited Elverys to get new trainers and got talked into the test. The man said my feet lean inwards that will impact my training. ...i can't say I've noticed any problems before, any pain i felt, I would just chalk it up to soreness from training.

But I bought the insoles and tbh, while I can see whatvhe was talking about, with me feet leaning inwards, they make no difference. They don't correct my stance at all, they're just a flimsy rubber/plastic material...certainly not enough to force my feet into place.

Seemingly if you want this sorta stuff you need to go to an orthotist or podiatrist. Iv heard that anyone else wouldnt be great at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Do they work?

Elverys insoles are crap end of. Considering you pay 50 in elverys compared 300+ with a podiatrists/physio it just goes to show the difference.

As a side note I'm not a fan of insoles or orthodics at all. Find someone who practices Anatomy In Motion and fix the problem not mask it

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Do they work?

Be very careful going down this route. One you get insoles/orthotics your feet get used to them, there is no turning back. If you think you have a foot issue I would see a physio first, let them diagnose it-not someone that sells runners.

Don't use them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Total gimmick. If you haven't any problems, don't wear them. they should stick to selling runners in elverys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would question the competence of Elverys staff to be making suggestions about such important matters. Much better to hire someone with real qualifications in the area to give you the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Niallers87

I had severe issues with my legs and went to a registered podiatrist and got the proper orthotics needed and they have made huge difference; though i have collapsed arches and they wer causing me severe pain beforehand. The insoles.are pricey at a 100 a pop; but as a poster says once you get use to them you cant go back. I find my feet wud be in even greater pain without them in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Like the OP, I was also talked into getting these at elverys. Having done the test I was told that my arches are too high, ie the opposite of collapsed. can't say I had noticed any pain or any major problems and to be honest I am not sure if the insoles are doing anything, should I just bin them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Found myself wanting to reply to everybody on this thread! :)
    Do they work?

If you're not in any pain why would you change things? If you are in pain go to a professional, my first port of call would be a physio to see if there are are any muscular imbalances that could be addressed. If there's an anatomical problem then an orthotist/podiatrist.
    thehamo wrote: »
    Elverys insoles are crap end of. Considering you pay 50 in elverys compared 300+ with a podiatrists/physio it just goes to show the difference.

As a side note I'm not a fan of insoles or orthodics at all. Find someone who practices Anatomy In Motion and fix the problem not mask it

Please, not a physio - no doubt there's a good one or two out there but I've met far too many who think that because they've gone on a weekend course about orthoses that they're ready to prescribe them - orthotist or podiatrist are the relevant professionals and IMO and IME good physios know their limitations and refer people who they think need orthoses to an orthotist or podiatrist. Sorry if this sounds a little passive aggressive. I am aware that you're a physio and I'm always interested in what you have to say. I've never had a good experience with physios and orthoses - several told me that I needed them - I agreed to let a couple prescribe them for me but otherwise competent physios were clueless when they caused new problems. By contrast when I went to an orthotist he knew exactly what to do and kept at it until they worked for me.
    size5 wrote: »
    Be very careful going down this route. One you get insoles/orthotics your feet get used to them, there is no turning back. If you think you have a foot issue I would see a physio first, let them diagnose it-not someone that sells runners.

Don't use them!

A grain of truth but overstated. I wore orthotics for 4 or 5 years - it got to the point where I barely took a step without orthotics. I weaned myself off them though and I'm not running about 50 miles a week with no orthotics. They weren't a miracle but they did force me to change my gait so that when I eventually ditched the orthotics I no longer got the crippling shin splints and horrendous blisters that I used to get before I started using them.

Like the OP, I was also talked into getting these at elverys. Having done the test I was told that my arches are too high, ie the opposite of collapsed. can't say I had noticed any pain or any major problems and to be honest I am not sure if the insoles are doing anything, should I just bin them?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Do they work?
    The man said my feet lean inwards that will impact my training. ...i can't say I've noticed any problems before, any pain i felt, I would just chalk it up to soreness from training.

Years back, I had desperate trouble with my knees. Had my physio scratching her head for a long time, spent a lot of time on rehab exercises etc. etc. But - once my feet were investigated, it turns out fallen arches were the root of my problem. Once I got the insoles sorted my problems disappeared reasonably quickly.

I use generic insoles now with strong arch support - seem to be preventing any re-occurance of the problem.

As suggested, by everyone else here though - if you need insoles fitted, leave it to the pros

Advertisement