Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubes with slime

Options
  • 26-08-2016 9:31am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if tubes with slime are any good. Kids are doing more regular solo cycling and both would struggle to change a tyre. Thinking of putting tubes with slime in the tyres and putting a Co2 pump in a saddle bag. Reasonable idea or waste of time and money? Youngest is 13 and very slight, so I doubt she could currently change a tyre road-side, just looking for enough self reliance to get home to reduce number of rescue missions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Saw your post about cycling the route to school with your daughter and getting a puncture. I immediately thought of getting bombproof tyres for her.

Sorry but no experience with slime.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

traprunner wrote: »
    Saw your post about cycling the route to school with your daughter and getting a puncture. I immediately thought of getting bombproof tyres for her.

Sorry but no experience with slime.

Yep, thinking Marathons as well, stock tyres on the Frog bike have no puncture resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

The chances of getting a puncture with Marathons is much less but then there is the pain of removing the tyre and getting it back on. The double protection of the slime tubes and Marathons would be as bomb proof as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

My son cycles to work and has recently moved out. Does about 80 to 100k per week. When he was at home I used to pump tyres and pick out glass on a regular basis.

I called over last week and tyres were down to 40psi.

so yesterday I took the plunge and got him 2 Tannus tyres. Expensive but no more hassle with pumping or chance of punctures.

I got them installed by the shop and they look really well so from tomorrow he will be using them and hopefully should get a couple of years out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I use slime tubes and find them great. Yes, you still get punctures but the pressure will only drop rather then going flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I tried them once a few years back and got a severe puncture passing Dardistown cemetery which caused the green slime to shoot out all over me and the bike. It probably only works for tiny puncture holes.
    traprunner wrote: »
    The chances of getting a puncture with Marathons is much less but then there is the pain of removing the tyre and getting it back on. The double protection of the slime tubes and Marathons would be as bomb proof as you can get.
    Marathons are much easier to work with when they've been on the bike a while and have 'broken in'.
    Seaswimmer wrote: »
    ...so yesterday I took the plunge and got him 2 Tannus tyres. Expensive but no more hassle with pumping or chance of punctures.

I got them installed by the shop and they look really well so from tomorrow he will be using them and hopefully should get a couple of years out of them
    Have them on my fixie/commuter and am delighted with them. My only concern is the hassle of having to return to the shop I got them in (southside) if I lose a spoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What about slimes, and also a Rothar course in bike maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Potential stupid question alert!

If you have the slime tubes or ordinary tubes filled with that Stan's stuff, can you deflate the tube manually or does all the crap come out through the valve?

(The reason I ask is that I like to deflate the tyres to fully check for glass fragments etc. every week or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I put stans in all my tyres that have tubes in them, and I've had good success with it. If you are going to let the air out, do it with the valve at the 12 o'clock position, you'll still get a bit of sticky goo come out, but not much. For a 700c tyre i'd put around 35 - 50ml into the tube,so there is still more than enough room to get the air out, leave the sealant in, and get the tube out of the tyre.

You'll need the tubes with the removable valve core, and a syringe to squirt the sealant into the tube. If you've hairy arms and get sealant in them, wash them straight away, otherwise the pain of picking that goo out is unreal!

Chuchote wrote: »
    What about slimes, and also a Rothar course in bike maintenance?

Youngest is pretty slight and I reckon regardless of technical ability, she'd have difficulty changing a tyre roadside. I decided to go the the Marathons and slime tubes and will see how she gets on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

"Give me a lever in the right place and I can move the tyre" - Archimedes

Chuchote wrote: »
    "Give me a lever in the right place and I can move the tyre" - Archimedes

Archimedes didn't have a smartphone which he could ring his old man up to come out and do it for him. Also we're talking Marathons here, even Archie would struggle with Marathons ;)

Marathons and tubes with slime arrived and fitted last night. Fun and games as I managed to pinch one one the rim and get a nice spray of slime for my sins, put got it patched up, pumped up, and pressure still good this morning. Also put a rack and pannier on, and new black/green bottle cage to match the colour scheme, so daughter currently has the blingiest bike on the block. Will stick a photo up when I get a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    so yesterday I took the plunge and got him 2 Tannus tyres. Expensive but no more hassle with pumping or chance of punctures.

how much ? and what are they like in the wet?

philstar wrote: »
    how much ? and what are they like in the wet?

Try this thread; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057641921&page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 EPONOTENOUGH

Is it possible to put slim into normal tubes just bog standard ones for training or whatever or do you need a special tube type? Also is there drawbacksomething to the slime use? Roads round hear have alot of debris and sharp flint type stones

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Another option is ghetto tubeless- it works well a and needs minimal maintenance. Plenty of walk thrus on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Another option is ghetto tubeless- it works well a and needs minimal maintenance. Plenty of walk thrus on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 EPONOTENOUGH

Cheers I'll check it out I'm ghetto homie lol

Advertisement