Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The biased Media vs Trump!

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Amerika wrote: »
    Yes, by that criterion is is a better movie.

I guess it's not a particularly useful criterion, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I guess it's not a particularly useful criterion, so.

But it can't be discounted, either.

(we better move on from this before K-9 breaks off Political Bias in US Movies into another thread. :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Based on revenues, the movie about Hillary was better.

You should watch Michael Moore documentaries so.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,407 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Masterpiece? Liberal scifi propaganda nonsense enhanced with great special effects. Greed and Capitalism tends to destroy the environment according to James Cameron. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Is this the point where Amerika starts arguing against himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,407 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

But it can't be discounted, either.

(we better move on from this before K-9 breaks off Political Bias in US Movies into another thread. :P)

Dinesh D'Souza makes these movies all the time and they're all the same. He was also convicted of breaking campaign finance laws by funnelling donations to the republican party through fictional entities to avoid caps on private donations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sheesh why didn't he just start a PAC like everyone else.

Oh wait that's what these films are: campaign ads he can make a return on ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Masterpiece? Liberal scifi propaganda nonsense enhanced with great special effects. Greed and Capitalism tends to destroy the environment according to James Cameron. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

You realise you just torpedoed your own point? Hillary movie was better than Trump movie because it took more money, according to you. Avatar made over €1 billion dollars but it's terrible. Put 2+2 together there horse.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You realise you just torpedoed your own point? Hillary movie was better than Trump movie because it took more money, according to you. Avatar made over €1 billion dollars but it's terrible. Put 2+2 together there horse.

No I didn't. Ya'll just love making stuff up, don't you? I never said Avatar was a terrible movie. I questioned it being a 'masterpiece' and called it liberal scifi propaganda nonsense enhanced with great special effects. And that stuff appeals to a lot of people, there's no denying that.

No I didn't. Ya'll just love making stuff up, don't you? I never said Avatar was a terrible movie. I questioned it being a 'masterpiece' and called it liberal scifi propaganda nonsense enhanced with great special effects. And that stuff appeals to a lot of people, there's no denying that.

So you're standing by the Hillary movie being superior as it's taken in more money?

they/them/theirs

So you're standing by the Hillary movie being superior as it's taken in more money?
    I'm saying it's a measure of popularity. And at times popularity is a measure of how good a movie is perceived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm saying it's a measure of popularity. And at times popularity is a measure of how good a movie is perceived.

So Farenheit 9/11 was a great film you say?

But that's not what you said. So you've changed your opinion? Fine, we can move on. I haven't seen either film so I have no idea.

I assume the Hillary and Trump movies are hatchet pieces? Correct?

they/them/theirs

So "You've been Trumped" came out in 2011. That's right, 6 years ago.

Is it any wonder it's making feck all money. I am out.

they/them/theirs

So "You've been Trumped" came out in 2011. That's right, 6 years ago.

Is it any wonder it's making feck all money. I am out.

The average movie ticket price in 2011 was about $7.93. In 2016 it’s about $8.66. I doubt difference has the impact you are alluding to.

The average movie ticket price in 2011 was about $7.93. In 2016 it’s about $8.66. I doubt difference has the impact you are alluding to.

I think his point, which you missed, was that it was released in 2011. If it was released now it would have far more media exposure.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Donald Trump wasn't a presidential candidate in 2011. He was a real estate mogul and reality TV star. The film would have had very little draw compared to now. I can't believe you had me explain that.

I miss when Trump was a reality TV star.

they/them/theirs

K-9 wrote: »
    I think his point, which you missed, was that it was released in 2011. If it was released now it would have far more media exposure.
    And the point I think you missed is that the media has done as much as possible to keep people from knowing about this film about Hillary, and to discredit it.

Or maybe it is just a crap film.

Donald Trump wasn't a presidential candidate in 2011. He was a real estate mogul and reality TV star. The film would have had very little draw compared to now. I can't believe you had me explain that.

I miss when Trump was a reality TV star.

And you forget Donald Trump’s was a very big reality star and The Apprentice was big news back in 2011. Probably not as big of news as today, but not some unknown by any stretch of the imagination back then. If it was good, I'm sure people would have gone to see it as he was hated almost as much then with the public eye as he is now.

Or maybe it is just a crap film.
    Maybe you should go see it and let us know.

• Advertisement

Maybe you should go see it and let us know.

Touche!

Not really my cup of tea but it did all right in the box office. Seems more your thing. But I suppose wasting time arguing about a film that you've never seen, that you have fixed views on about liberal bias is more fun, especially considering the reviews.

What you think about Michael Moore anyway?

And you forget Donald Trump’s was a very big reality star and The Apprentice was big news back in 2011. Probably not as big of news as today, but not some unknown by any stretch of the imagination back then. If it was good, I'm sure people would have gone to see it as he was hated almost as much then with the public eye as he is now.

You seriously believe that?

I suppose in a thread about bias it is apt.

Touche!

Not really my cup of tea but it did all right in the box office. Seems more your thing. But I suppose wasting time arguing about a film that you've never seen, that you have fixed views on about liberal bias is more fun, especially considering the reviews.

What you think about Michael Moore anyway?

I think Moore is dishonest. He lies, misleads and manipulates people in order to produce movies that fits his bizarre agendas. But he does make entertaining films, some of which I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You’ve Been Trumped took in £18,191 at the Box Office. Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party took in $13 million at the Box office. Just saying...

Perhaps you might have noted that You've been Trumped wasn't generally released for cinema (being primarily a TV documentary). It had a maximum theatre release of 5 theatres in the US, compared to Hillary's America, which had a release to over 1200 theatres. So not a particularly meaningful comparison. Just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It's not a measure of popularity at all. It's merely a measure of income from one particular revenue stream (and in this case, a revenue stream that only one of the films actually sought).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

In 2011, The Apprentice had ended. Its final season in 2010 had it lowest viewing figures out of all 10 seasons, so it wasn't big news. It was a failing tv show that ranked 113th in terms of popularity that year...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(U.S._TV_series)#Statistics_by_season

You'll rant about Hilary being a criminal but D'Souza is a convicted felon. So he's an extraordinarily biased felon with a track record of making factually inaccurate documentaries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Media "bias" in America is the biggest misnomer i've ever heard in my life for the following, simple reason.

If you're with Trump, you get your news from Fox and Breitbart.

If you're with Hillary, you stick to CNN and Washington Post.

When Trump says "biased media", what he really means is that these other places that are not Fox don't report the narrative he wants reported.

He's a megalomaniac control freak, what do ya expect?

The 2 most worrying parts of this, for me, are:

1. I hate gross generalisations of an entire country and lumping people into the 'Murica pigeon-hole. Nevertheless - the sheer stupidity, mob mentality and brain-less behaviour of his supporters online and offline boggles the mind.

I can't think of a more egregious example of a country with such a huge gaps between Academia - Average Joe - Cletus from the Simpsons.

In Ireland i don't think the gaps are that wide. Academics are super smart, Average Joes are not all that far behind and the Cletus types not far behind the Average Joes.

2. The American media is the softest i've ever seen.

Been raised before in this thread but they don't seem to believe in rebuttals, questioning or interrupting. The latter might be rude but at some point you have to interrupt someone talking absolute sh1te and ask them to explain the sh1te they are talking.

Applies to both Hilary and Trump. Mercifully she talks less of it than Trump.

I was a big fan of Obama and i think he did OK (6/10) for his Presidency but even he showed recently he's absolutely lost without his teleprompter.

These debates are gonna be a crucifixation for Donald - and Americans still won't care because nothing he does or says matters. He could literally, and i mean this, endorse the KKK and say the words "spic/cholo" and he'll still get a free pass from his "fanbase".

B_Wayne wrote: »
    In 2011, The Apprentice had ended. Its final season in 2010 had it lowest viewing figures out of all 10 seasons, so it wasn't big news. It was a failing tv show that ranked 113th in terms of popularity that year...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(U.S._TV_series)#Statistics_by_season

You'll rant about Hilary being a criminal but D'Souza is a convicted felon. So he's an extraordinarily biased felon with a track record of making factually inaccurate documentaries...

Between The Apprentice and The Celebrity Apprentice, there have been 14 seasons of the show from its inception in January 2004 until 2016.

And regarding D'Souza, yes he is a former criminal. The reality is, thousands of people donate to political campaigns through straw donors... sometimes millions even to a politician's charitable foundation. John Edwards received numerous $2,000 donations from support staff and paralegals at large law firms when he ran for president... many on the same day. And nothing happened to him.

Even the liberal New York Times wrote “It is not clear from the court documents what led investigators to Mr. D’Souza in a fund-raising case involving relatively small donations.” But he got caught and served his time. He should have just started a PAC. Let's hope Hillary follows suit.

Bottom line is Obama criminalized dissent. Memo to Eric Holder… Release the Kracken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Media "bias" in America is the biggest misnomer i've ever heard in my life for the following, simple reason.

If you're with Trump, you get your news from Fox and Breitbart.

If you're with Hillary, you stick to CNN and Washington Post.

When Trump says "biased media", what he really means is that these other places that are not Fox don't report the narrative he wants reported.

He's a megalomaniac control freak, what do ya expect?

The 2 most worrying parts of this, for me, are:

1. I hate gross generalisations of an entire country and lumping people into the 'Murica pigeon-hole. Nevertheless - the sheer stupidity, mob mentality and brain-less behaviour of his supporters online and offline boggles the mind.

I can't think of a more egregious example of a country with such a huge gaps between Academia - Average Joe - Cletus from the Simpsons.

In Ireland i don't think the gaps are that wide. Academics are super smart, Average Joes are not all that far behind and the Cletus types not far behind the Average Joes.

2. The American media is the softest i've ever seen.

Been raised before in this thread but they don't seem to believe in rebuttals, questioning or interrupting. The latter might be rude but at some point you have to interrupt someone talking absolute sh1te and ask them to explain the sh1te they are talking.

Applies to both Hilary and Trump. Mercifully she talks less of it than Trump.

I was a big fan of Obama and i think he did OK (6/10) for his Presidency but even he showed recently he's absolutely lost without his teleprompter.

These debates are gonna be a crucifixation for Donald - and Americans still won't care because nothing he does or says matters. He could literally, and i mean this, endorse the KKK and say the words "spic/cholo" and he'll still get a free pass from his "fanbase".

Your wrong for one very significant reason. The American media (mainstream) controls all that the public know about the world. They tell a Washington narrative of how the world works. It was the media that spread falsehoods and fail to report important stories from around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

One of the candidates in the race is an authoritarian who wants to expel millions of people from a country, ban people based on their religion from entering, uses coded threats of violence against his opponents, is on the record for calling women "bimbos" and "pretty on their knees", wouldn't condemn a white supremacist when asked, is massively supported by the far-right, calls Mexican's rapists, has been accused of rape, gave campaign donations to an elected official who was supposed to be investigating him, refuses to release his tax returns, mocks people with disabilities and yesterday lied on television about owning stocks. The other candidate fainted.

The US Media treats Trump as a normal candidate and inflates "scandals" like this health one because they are so terrified of looking biased. They should be biased. The man is only half a mile from a fascist. History is going to judge mainstream media very unfavorably if Donald Trump wins in November. They should be tearing him alive, they could be the difference between Hispanic children waking up in a society they think hates them in January or not.

Advertisement