Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The biased Media vs Trump!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Amerika wrote: »
    What you fail to do is understand that the media has blurred the lines between analysis and opinion.

As reported by the NY Times...

'The news pages are laced with columns, news analysis, criticism, reporter’s notebooks, memos, journals and appraisals — all forms that depart from the straightforward presentation of facts and carry the risk of blurring the line between news and opinion — a line that I believe is critical to the long-term credibility of any news organization.'

'(They) have long ago ventured far from the safe shores of keeping opinions only on the opinion pages.'
    To reiterate: Sean Hannity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The sarcasm was obviously lost in my post...

There is no length of parody you can do to that will match the mindset of most Trump supporters, it's been said for months. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

CswSUplUkAAniHe.jpg

Why did CNN add the word "RACIAL" to Trump's quote? Completely biased and irresponsible journalism. CNN should be kicked out of moderating the presidential debate for yellow journalism.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Why did CNN add the word "RACIAL" to Trump's quote? Completely biased and irresponsible journalism. CNN should be kicked out of moderating the presidential debate for yellow journalism.

Converting a dog-whistle to a whistle?

It's not like anyone didn't know what he meant. I mean, come on: how else does he plan to profile, if not racially?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Converting a dog-whistle to a whistle?

It's not like anyone didn't know what he meant. I mean, come on: how else does he plan to profile, if not racially?

Definition of quote
    : to repeat (something written or said by another person) exactly
    : to write or say the exact words of (someone)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

CswSUplUkAAniHe.jpg

Because it's factually correct. Simple.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Because it's factually correct. Simple.
    Then why use quotes?

Then why use quotes?

Because they're quoting Trump I assume.

What's your beef here? Trump wants to racially profile because Israel do. It's not exactly a secret.

they/them/theirs

Because they're quoting Trump I assume.

What's your beef here? Trump wants to racially profile because Israel do. It's not exactly a secret.
    They didn't quote Trump. They added the word 'RACIAL' to what he said in an apparent effort to make him look bad.

They didn't quote Trump. They added the word 'RACIAL' to what he said in an apparent effort to make him look bad.

Does Trump want to profile the way Israel do? Yes.

Does Israel use racial profiling? Yes.

Conclusion: Trump wants the use racial profiling.

This isn't difficult. This is not bias. Trump wants racial profiling.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

So Trump never used the phrase "Racial profiling ". But copying Israel means racial profiling. Clear enough?

At least own what the maniac says.

they/them/theirs

So Trump never used the phrase "Racial profiling ". But copying Israel means racial profiling. Clear enough?

At least own what the maniac says.

Listen, I think everyone knows Hillary Clinton believes Trump to be an idiot. What would you think if Fox News put up a heading HILLARY CLINTON THINKS "IDIOT TRUMP" IS WRONG under a graphic of her giving a speech with her actual words being “I think Trump is wrong?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Listen, I think everyone knows Hillary Clinton believes Trump to be an idiot. What would you think if Fox News put up a heading HILLARY CLINTON THINKS "IDIOT TRUMP" IS WRONG under a graphic of her giving a speech with her actual words being “I think Trump is wrong?"

It'd be wrong of course but since we're dealing with Fox News, I don't think many here would be surprised.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I see the Trump fans still get upset by almost everything Trump says. That's not what media is.

Any news on Trumps fraud trial? The lack of coverage of that ob its own completely dispels any and all of this media bias nonsense.

False equivalency. We know for a fact that Israel racially profile.

Whether Hillary thinks Trump is an idiot is unknown. I don't believe she thinks Trump is an idiot . They were close friends for many years.

they/them/theirs

We know for a fact that Israel racially profile.

Yes it does. And surprise, surprise, it works.

I don’t know if racial profiling is illegal here. There might be ‘guidelines’ which are little more than opinions, and I’m sure many here could pick out something in our laws and pervert its wording to fit their agenda, but I don’t think there is anything in our laws that specifically says racial profiling is illegal.

And I predict that as more and more terrorist attacks happen across the West by Muslim extremists, that racial profiling will become accepted for safety concerns, as Israel has done.

Yes it does. And surprise, surprise, it works.
    So that this poster knew Trump meant racial profiling, but was calling it media bias that the media reported as much. There's a word for that.

The mask has slipped, again.

It'd be wrong of course but since we're dealing with Fox News, I don't think many here would be surprised.

Exactly. And with it being CNN (Clinton News Network - I dunno, quotes here might be apropos ;)) I don't think many on the right were surprised either. Shocked maybe by such a blatant display of bias, but not surprised.

Exactly. And with it being CNN (Clinton News Network - I dunno, quotes here might be apropos ;)) I don't think many on the right were surprised either. Shocked maybe, but not surprised.

This poster had had this disproved to them multiple times, so often that they began to pretend seeing it the first time they were shown it (there really is a word for that) despite having replied to it already.

Its a poor post is my pint, and I'm pretty sure this poster knows that themselves.

What if I told you that FOX perpetuated the idea that its competitors were biased while stating it was "Fair and Balanced" in order to keep Americans from tuning into common sense boost their viewership?

Consequently CNN had to dress up common sense with holograms and **** to keep low education viewers from switching over to the Hannity brainwashing hour and co

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    What if I told you that FOX perpetuated the idea that its competitors were biased while stating it was "Fair and Balanced" in order to keep Americans from tuning into common sense boost their viewership?
    I'd say it belonged in the Conspiracy Theories section.

No it's just capitalism. Hardly a state secret. Low information viewers enthralled by FOX news Leg Camera were told but after bit about how biased other sources are. Don't look away, here are Megyns legs

Overheal wrote: »
    No it's just capitalism. Hardly a state secret. Low information viewers enthralled by FOX news Leg Camera were told but after bit about how biased other sources are. Don't look away, here are Megyns legs
    From a ratings report earlier this year:
    Fox News averaged 2.12 million total viewers in primetime and 1.26 million in total day.
    CNN averaged 842,000 primetime viewers and 579,000 in total day.
    MSNBC averaged 720,000 total viewers during primetime and 423,000 during the day.

So you're saying almost 60% of the people that watch cable news are ‘Low information viewers?’ My, that's a pretty big basket you got there. (And what’s wrong with Megyn’s legs?).

I'd say it belonged in the Conspiracy Theories section.
    Anyone got a mirror handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

It looks like there is no reason to pretend anymore that US media are not biased against Trump
    USA TODAY's Editorial Board: Trump is 'unfit for the presidency'

Wall Street Journal editorial board member endorses Clinton

1) are those two examples representative of all media outlets?

2) is it unethical to declare an endorsement for a candidate so your readers or viewers are informed, or like FOX should you just do it behind the curtain and pretend to be impartial?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

Isn't 90 odd percent of the media in the US privately owned?
    If so then it is the market that decides what is published/broadcast.

I don't think there is a media bias against trump he has said at least a dozen things that would have disqualified a normal politician. There is very little scrutiny of his policies. The media love him because he sells advertising space, trumps latest gaff or feud makes much more entertaining tv than an in depth review of his policies. That the media go for the lowest common denominator is a direct consequence of having such a for profit media.

What I don't get is how come there isn't a reliable, serious in depth right wing element that is self critical of the republican party. There must be no market for it.
    Also why do people keep tuning into sources that are so blatantly unreliable. Fox news analysis, predictions and opinion pieces are almost always wrong. They let their viewers think that their side is winning despite the evidence. If your news source is consistently wrong then why do people keep watching it?

Simple answer to that is any criticism of the GOP is seen as traitorous by conservatives. Even if you're a politician in the GOP, and you express a centrist view or try to work with liberal colleagues, you're labeled by a large chunk of your constituency as a RINO.

Conservatism over the last decade (or more) has devolved from whatever principles it may have had into this bloc of voters and subsequent politicians where it's all about just straight up opposing any and all forms of liberalism. The rhetoric in DC went from the 2000s, "you're not a true American if you don't support the war on terror/the president" to "Obama may be a secret Muslim (we won't deny it!) who is definitely destroying this country we have to stop him every inch of the way". The end result is a thinning political center in Washington which, inevitably will have to be filled by party reformists or a third party. But as far as the media is concerned it means there are a few centrist outlets, several left outlets, and the far right outlets like bull**** mountain, breitbart, etc and a bit farther outward you have the likes of storm front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

20Cent wrote: »
    Isn't 90 odd percent of the media in the US privately owned?
    If so then it is the market that decides what is published/broadcast.

I don't think there is a media bias against trump he has said at least a dozen things that would have disqualified a normal politician. There is very little scrutiny of his policies. The media love him because he sells advertising space, trumps latest gaff or feud makes much more entertaining tv than an in depth review of his policies. That the media go for the lowest common denominator is a direct consequence of having such a for profit media.

What I don't get is how come there isn't a reliable, serious in depth right wing element that is self critical of the republican party. There must be no market for it.
    Also why do people keep tuning into sources that are so blatantly unreliable. Fox news analysis, predictions and opinion pieces are almost always wrong. They let their viewers think that their side is winning despite the evidence. If your news source is consistently wrong then why do people keep watching it?

They love him because he is not a policy maker. Clinton is and has been contributing to policy making so she is tied to all the mistakes of the past. Clinton & the Democrats are not praised for improving the economy but many Americans do believe that Trump is a champion of American values.

Advertisement