Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The biased Media vs Trump!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    They love him because he is not a policy maker. Clinton is and has been contributing to policy making so she is tied to all the mistakes of the past. Clinton & the Democrats are not praised for improving the economy but many Americans do believe that Trump is a champion of American values.

The values of treating women like sh1t, the values of stiffing your suppliers by declaring bankruptcy, the values of expecting the support of a party to which he's provided zero long term commitment over his life, the values of generalising Mexicans as rapists? The values of dragging him up by his bootstraps using the fourteen million his pops gave him? Those values?

Are they utterly insane, these Americans who consider Trump is a champion of American values? Or is it just that American values are actually nothing much to aspire to?

Because from where I am sitting, Trump doesn't come anywhere close to reflecting the America that gave us Sesame Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Calina wrote: »
    The values of treating women like sh1t, the values of stiffing your suppliers by declaring bankruptcy, the values of expecting the support of a party to which he's provided zero long term commitment over his life, the values of generalising Mexicans as rapists? The values of dragging him up by his bootstraps using the fourteen million his pops gave him? Those values?

Are they utterly insane, these Americans who consider Trump is a champion of American values? Or is it just that American values are actually nothing much to aspire to?

Because from where I am sitting, Trump doesn't come anywhere close to reflecting the America that gave us Sesame Street.

Your attributing to much to Trump. As an Irishman from this side of the Atlantic I don't much like American style Capitalism. Even so America is powerhouse of free trade across the world. Trump quite rightly has his own set of views and one which I laude is his commitment to reduce American deficit. For too long America has become a debtor Nation. This might change with a Trump presidency.

Your attributing to much to Trump. As an Irishman from this side of the Atlantic I don't much like American style Capitalism. Even so America is powerhouse of free trade across the world. Trump quite rightly has his own set of views and one which I laude is his commitment to reduce American deficit. For too long America has become a debtor Nation. This might change with a Trump presidency.

So, does he reflect American values or not? And if you say yes, what are those values?

Reducing the deficit is not a value, it's an aspiration, and since his record is a few bankruptcies and reality TV I remain unconvinced that he has the wherewithal to do anything about it.

So, does he reflect American values or not? And if you say yes, what are those values?

Reducing the deficit is not a value, it's an aspiration, and since his record is a few bankruptcies and reality TV I remain unconvinced that he has the wherewithal to do anything about it.

The economy is very fragile in the US. The stock market could turn against the US and with Nations turning towards Russia as a result of the catastrophic Iraq War, the Libya stunt & the Syrian debacle the world wants to see a more determined America and a less aggressive war state.

We have the immigration and unemployment situation in America which is not helping the Democrats. High rates of lawlessness in parts of America which makes it terrible unsafe for business to flourish and connect to the world. The large corporations are benefitting from this at the expense of all others.

The economy is very fragile in the US. The stock market could turn against the US and with Nations turning towards Russia as a result of the catastrophic Iraq War, the Libya stunt & the Syrian debacle the world wants to see a more determined America and a less aggressive war state.

We have the immigration and unemployment situation in America which is not helping the Democrats. High rates of lawlessness in parts of America which makes it terrible unsafe for business to flourish and connect to the world. The large corporations are benefitting from this at the expense of all others.

None of this answers my questions. If he reflects American values, what are those values?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

The economy isn't fragile, median income increased more last year than in any year on record.

Electing Trump would mean America turning towards Russia.

Immigration is vital for society to function.

The US has full employment at the moment. There isn't an unemployment situation.

There is no lawlessness in the US at the moment. The US of the last few years is safer than any time in its history.

The annoying thing here is that you know all this because you've been proven wrong on these matters many times in this thread and the preceding thread on the election. Why do you keep peddling these falsehoods?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,799 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The annoying thing here is that you know all this because you've been proven wrong on these matters many times in this thread and the preceding thread on the election. Why do you keep peddling these falsehoods?

Because the falsehoods are essential to the Trump narrative, ie the country is falling apart, law and order are now academic concepts, nobody has a job, China is laughing at the US and corporations are bleeding the country dry. Facts are irrelevant so this narrative prevails regardless of what evidence is produced to contradict it. Such is modern politics.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Because the falsehoods are essential to the Trump narrative, ie the country is falling apart, law and order are now academic concepts, nobody has a job, China is laughing at the US and corporations are bleeding the country dry. Facts are irrelevant so this narrative prevails regardless of what evidence is produced to contradict it. Such is modern politics.

Tell that to the workers of Detroit and the communities next to the Mexican border that have been ripped off by the Federal Government. The lies being inundating into the public sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It behooves me to recall that KingBrian2 is Irish, in Ireland, speculating about America he has collected from the internet, subject to confirmation bias and a whole host of other problems with that approach. The perspective is very two dimensional.

Its bemusing to see him try to speak authoritatively about Detroit or border towns, as if he had been there.

Overheal wrote: »
    It behooves me to recall that KingBrian2 is Irish, in Ireland, speculating about America he has collected from the internet, subject to confirmation bias and a whole host of other problems with that approach. The perspective is very two dimensional.

Its bemusing to see him try to speak authoritatively about Detroit or border towns, as if he had been there.

When Trump speaks about those areas he paints a picture so vivid it's like going on holiday there for our Brian.

• Advertisement

Tell that to the workers of Detroit and the communities next to the Mexican border that have been ripped off by the Federal Government. The lies being inundating into the public sphere.

How have they been ripped off by the Federal Government?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,799 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You mean the same federal government that pursued protectionist policies at the behest of the Detroit car industry?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

How have they been ripped off by the Federal Government?

Perhaps he means the fact that most of US Southwest was either Spanish or Mexican territory for hundreds of years before being forcibly taken by the USA only about 150 years ago and that there are still sizable latin populations in those areas.

You mean the same federal government that pursued protectionist policies at the behest of the Detroit car industry?

Yes, the same federal government that bailed out the American auto industry, and has doubled the number of border patrol agents that have jobs in the last 10 or so years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yes, the same federal government that bailed out the American auto industry, and has doubled the number of border patrol agents that have jobs in the last 10 or so years.
    You mean the same border that has seen the number of people illegally cross it go down so much, as to actually be a net loss of over 1mn in the last decade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Value of treating women like **** is most definitely a characteristic of Trump's, he's been emphasising it more and more in last week.

Billy86 wrote: »
    You mean the same border that has seen the number of people illegally cross it go down so much, as to actually be a net loss of over 1mn in the last decade?

Yes! The very same border indeed in which the trafficking of marijuana has been in decline due to legalization efforts. That's the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yes! The very same border indeed in which the trafficking of marijuana has been in decline due to legalization efforts. That's the one.

Nah nah nah, hold on a minute. You're trying to tell me that drug trafficking is also down across the border? You've taken it a bit too far now, next you'll be telling me that violent crime and crime in general are also down. You're so out of touch with reality you'll probably try to convince me that they're down across the USA as a whole. Seriously, how gullible do you think people are?

I am aware of what is going on in America as I am exposed to the media from across the Atlantic. America pretends to know what is going on in Syria despite not understanding the sectarian nature of the place along with Iraq, Iran, Palestine & Lebanon, given the intimate relationship the US has with these Arabic countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Oh I dunno. The man's a muppet, and he's done a lot to raise the profile of Miss Piggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I am aware of what is going on in America as I am exposed to the media from across the Atlantic. America pretends to know what is going on in Syria despite not understanding the sectarian nature of the place along with Iraq, Iran, Palestine & Lebanon, given the intimate relationship the US has with these Arabic countries.

Iran isn't an Arabic country. The U.S. administration is all too aware of the sectarian nature of the Middle East conflicts.

The difference being neither you nor I would sit in a room with Syrians and try to explain to them what was going on their country.

In here, you are chatting with a lot of Americans, need I remind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I think KingBrian2 knows more about US politics than the vast majority of Americans.

The difference being neither you nor I would sit in a room with Syrians and try to explain to them what was going on their country.

In here, you are chatting with a lot of Americans, need I remind you.

I must remember to be similarly behooven the next time a yank expresses an opinion on Irish or European politics.

Complaining about the Irish expressing opinions on US Politics on an Irish website, is like going into an Irish pub and dictating to the customers that they are ill-behooved to discuss such matters. Stay out if you don't like it.

Behooved ffs.

Thanks Amerika but it is true that I don't know everything that goes on in the US but I aim to be well informed on current affairs. I do find World Affairs to be a fascinating topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I do find World Affairs to be a fascinating topic.

We receive no truth from any sources. Everything is stage managed for our palettes.

I must remember to be similarly behooven the next time a yank expresses an opinion on Irish or European politics.

Complaining about the Irish expressing opinions on US Politics on an Irish website, is like going into an Irish pub and dictating to the customers that they are ill-behooved to discuss such matters. Stay out if you don't like it.

Behooved ffs.

You won't find me in very many of the irish politics discussions. You may go look if you wish.
    Peist2007 wrote: »
    We receive no truth from any sources. Everything is stage managed for our palettes.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

You won't find me in very many of the irish politics discussions. You may go look if you wish.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

America's trade deals are very important to the rest of the world. The fact that the US is a debtor Nation pulls down the global economy. The gvt shutdowns and the lax Banking system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This thread title should be changed to 'the media vs Trump'

I mean OP implies that all media except Fox are biased.

Seems strange.

I'd call it 'Trump vs the truth' to be honest.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    This thread title should be changed to 'the media vs Trump'

I mean OP implies that all media except Fox are biased.

Seems strange.

I'd call it 'Trump vs the truth' to be honest.

This entire election has been about Trump's personality. Content is seriously lacking. This goes to Clinton. I must congratulate her on making Trump the most media exposed candidate in US history. If he was picking his nose the media would be all over him.:rolleyes:

Advertisement