Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The biased Media vs Trump!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

So Johnson or Stein then?

The vice president would assume office then as LBJ did in 63

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Can't see the Donald making it whereas Clinton will and when she does I think she won't see out the term because of health issues.
    I'm not actually that sold on her health problems to be honest, though between these two and Bernie it could be said that there is a decent argument for imposing age limits on running. If I recall, Clinton or Trump would each be the second oldest ever upon assuming office; and Bernie would be the oldest.

The oldest was Reagan, who was hugely popular but caused a whole lot of problems at the same time, and who had a pretty bad bout of Alzheimers for the last few years. The next oldest (Harrison, 68 at inauguration), though granted it was 240 years ago so medicine etc wasn't a scratch on today, died after a few weeks in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm not actually that sold on her health problems to be honest, though between these two and Bernie it could be said that there is a decent argument for imposing age limits on running. If I recall, Clinton or Trump would each be the second oldest ever upon assuming office; and Bernie would be the oldest.

The oldest was Reagan, who was hugely popular but caused a whole lot of problems at the same time, and who had a pretty bad bout of Alzheimers for the last few years. The next oldest (Harrison, 68 at inauguration), though granted it was 240 years ago so medicine etc wasn't a scratch on today, died after a few weeks in office.

Maybe you are right but I do think she is not up to the job for medical reasons. It is a tough job nowadays and you have to be in peak condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Name of my search provider is written on tab and clearly says google. My version of chrome always jumps to address bar when I do search from google.ie
    This time I tried with Firefox with the same result
    Yeah, but yours is different from Billy's. He was pointing out that Bing searches and Yahoo searches are different from Google. I get the same result as you with Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Yeah, but yours is different from Billy's. He was pointing out that Bing searches and Yahoo searches are different from Google. I get the same result as you with Google.

and it was my point that google fixed searches about Clinton health after request from NYT
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100833115&postcount=22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Trump is the man of the people. He calls it like it is. Takes no guff from the powerful & influential. He earned his own lifestyle so all the others are jealous and envious of him. Trump would make a great President.

Of course.

I mean why would being competent or having foresight matter to being POTUS.

Sure, he's a man of the people. That's all you need.

It'll be more of the same if Clinton gets it..... Would love to see a man that isn't the puppet for big business get in there.

He is a class clown but unlike the rest, what you see is what you get imo.

He's quite possibly the most dishonest politician to ever run for president, and the fact checkers back that up - about 75% of what he says isn't even half-true, he has particularly shady mob and Russian links that he has been

And in terms of removing corporate influence from politics, would you like to see Denis O'Brian as Taoiseach for the same reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Not sure what this thread has turned into but the standard of posting needs to seriously go up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

It'll be more of the same if Clinton gets it..... Would love to see a man that isn't the puppet for big business get in there.

Donald Trump, multi-billionaire who filled his economics team with only one economist but multiple businessmen and multi-billionaires, isn't a puppet for big business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Donald Trump, multi-billionaire who filled his economics team with only one economist but multiple businessmen and multi-billionaires, isn't a puppet for big business?

Jeb Bush was pro big business and he did not get the candidacy.

• Advertisement

and it was my point that google fixed searches about Clinton health after request from NYT
    And the point was made ages ago that that's just how Google rolls. They don't auto complete derogatory searches about any named person. Try the same with Donald Trump or anyone else and you'll see.

And my point was that there is nothing to show that those results were altered from the NYT post, for starters there is not a single screenshot from before said Tweet used in the article. If 'health problems' not showing up on Google is seen as some conspiracy, then so must 'racist' not being there for Trump.

But here's the thing... 'Trump racist' did show up for you on the top search bar (as opposed to the one of the Google page itself) as did 'Clinton health problems' for me. Which kind of makes your initial point completely pointless and false. Both are here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100834526&postcount=40

And not understanding that different search engines give different result frankly show an embarrassing lack on knowledge (or dishonesty, you decide) on Zero Hedge's part. Meaning your source is either incompetent or dishonest, and lacks credibility either way.

Here's Roy Keane for example, are we going to be counting him in on the Clinton conspiracy too now, while we're at it?
    image.png

I see a racist, misogynist, serial lying narcissist. I assume that's what we'd get?

What I am doing wrong again?
    i6gp53.jpg

We've already been here...
    image.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've just erased a fair few posts from this thread. The pics of Google search suggestions are adding nothing to the discussion as far as I can see. This isn't the place for funny videos, gifs, one line quips or dumping links.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

gosplan wrote: »
    Of course.

I mean why would being competent or having foresight matter to being POTUS.

Sure, he's a man of the people. That's all you need.

Clinton was for another invasion and intervention in Ukraine, Syria & Libya. Hardly call that foresight.

We have to have a clear head here Clinton is palsy with the Saudi royal family and Turkey. This is disastrous for world peace, good relations between Nations. Trump could proof to be as competent or better than her in foreign affairs. Most Nations have never even heard of Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Isn't the truth that people are just reporting on what Donald Trump is actually saying. All the headlines are being made by the outlandish and bigotted statements he's coming out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:
    Folks, keep the policy debate stuff for the megathread, this one is for media bias, thank you. There's no point having the same or similar debates on 2 threads at the same time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

In the US Democrat journalists outnumber Republicans 4 to 1. Shocked... I know. About as shocking a revelation as finding out water is wet.

It’s public knowledge that Hillary Clinton suffers from a number of serious health issues that could adversely impede her performing the duties of president, Hypothyroidism, blood thinners to prevent blood clots, and Bill said “required six months of very serious work” to recover after a fainting spell. And that's just what is public knowledge.

But now it seems, according to the media it’s sexist to raise questions about Hillary Clinton’s health. Apparently now issues like health, age, sex or race are off limits… unless the mainstream media is talking about Republicans, I figure. Funny, the liberal media didn’t say it was sexist to attack Sarah Palin. They didn’t seem to mind disparaging Ben Carson or Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas. And they didn’t have any problem making health and age a major issue with John McCain.

And now we find out Google is censoring stories and fixing search results about Clinton’s health.

So what is with the media? Is it... do as I say and not as I do, or history starts today, or we don’t care and are going to be shameless biased in our reporting? Take your pick. You wouldn’t be wrong choosing any of them... or all of them.

• Advertisement

Amerika wrote: »
    In the US Democrat journalists outnumber Republicans 4 to 1. Shocked... I know. About as shocking a revelation as finding out water is wet.

It’s public knowledge that Hillary Clinton suffers from a number of serious health issues that could adversely impede her performing the duties of president, Hypothyroidism, blood thinners to prevent blood clots, and Bill said “required six months of very serious work” to recover after a fainting spell. And that's just what is public knowledge.

But now it seems, according to the media it’s sexist to raise questions about Hillary Clinton’s health. Apparently now issues like health, age, sex or race are off limits… unless the mainstream media is talking about Republicans, I figure. Funny, the liberal media didn’t say it was sexist to attack Sarah Palin. They didn’t seem to mind disparaging Ben Carson or Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas. And they didn’t have any problem making health and age a major issue with John McCain.

And now we find out Google is censoring stories and fixing search results about Clinton’s health.

So what is with the media? Is it... do as I say and not as I do, or history starts today, or we don’t care and are going to be shameless biased in our reporting? Take your pick. You wouldn’t be wrong choosing any of them... or all of them.
    Considering that I know that half of what you say is untrue, you'll have to forgive me for asking you to back it all up with reputable links.

Does supporting Donald Trump automatically come with a lie erector?

Considering that I know that half of what you say is untrue, you'll have to forgive me for asking you to back it all up with reputable links.

Does supporting Donald Trump automatically come with a lie erector?
    I don’t recall ever engaging you before. This appears to be little more than a personal attack, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt as long as you provide examples that HAVE lead you to that conclusion in the past.

Satisfying that I would be happy to provide you what you are requesting. Are you looking for examples of the media saying it’s sexist to raise questions about Hillary Clinton’s health? Or examples of the media’s attacks on Sarah Palin, Ben Carson, Clarence Thomas, or John McCain? Or that Google is surppressing searches? Though I do find it odd that you are requesting things that have been common knowledge. It's kinda like asking me to back up the statement that water is wet..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don’t recall ever engaging you before. This appears to be little more than a personal attack, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt as long as you provide examples that HAVE lead you to that conclusion in the past.

Satisfying that I would be happy to provide you what you are requesting. Are you looking for examples of the media saying it’s sexist to raise questions about Hillary Clinton’s health? Or examples of the media’s attacks on Sarah Palin, Ben Carson, Clarence Thomas, or John McCain? Or that Google is surppressing searches? Though I do find it odd that you are requesting things that have been common knowledge. It's kinda like asking me to back up the statement that water is wet..

You're expected to back up your claims here. You began with there being 4 times as many pro-Democrat journalists as those of a pro-Republican bent. You can start there.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oh come on. Outside of whackjob places like Infowars and Breitbart, no-one other than people of the_donald is taking this Clinton health smear campaign seriously.

I'd be interested in seeing some reputable links backing up these health claims too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Why did a post of mine disappear?

Why did a post of mine disappear?

It was below standard so I erased it. Please take further enquiries to PM.

H. H. Asquith

You're expected to back up your claims here. You began with there being 4 times as many pro-Democrat journalists as those of a pro-Republican bent. You can start there.
    Fair enough.

Here you go. I trust the study will suffice.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/05/06/just-7-percent-of-journalists-are-republicans-thats-far-less-than-even-a-decade-ago/

(Will you also require Dibbler to back up his attack on me, or are some things just a given? :p)

To be fair with regards to journalists, 28.1% do identify as Democrat vs. 7.1% as Republican.

What is interesting here is how much ground the Republicans have lost on that front over the last 40-odd years, and it is telling why so many more journalists identify as Democrat - journalists tend to have college educations.

Screen-Shot-2014-05-06-at-11.42.26-AM.png&w=1484

For decades, ever since Nixon or even Goldwater, Republicans have looked to populism, politics of fear, and corralling the anger of the masses against whatever is perceived to be 'the enemy' - be that black people, the Communists, Arabs/Muslims, and of course the Democrats. Always the Democrats. This has continued on in a seemingly never ending game of one up manship that has seen the claims become more and more bizarre and ridiculous to the extent that many of their followers literally believe Obama is both a Muslim and an athiest, a fascist and a communist, and is a secret agent sent from Kenya to take down the USA. It is also why a lot of Republicans believe Hillary Clinton is literally Lucifer. As in not, 'as bad as' Lucifer or 'the personification of all that is wrong in the world/USA'. No. Literally Lucifer.

As the Republicans have gone further and further down this road, leading now to a situation that is absolutely beyond satire or farce (I'm not saying it to be glib, if you wrote this for a comedy movie a decade ago it would have been panned for being too dumb, too slapstick, and too unrealistic), they continue to push the college educated crowd away. All you have to do it look at trends over the last few decades, and the trickle-down effect (yes, pun intended :D) is showing too - all the way to those whose education is 'high school or less'.

4-22-2016_02.png

Added into that, you have the 'mixed' or 'independent' crowds. I do not know myself, but would imagine that quite a high number of these are right leaning or right wing, as elements like the Tea Party or Libertarians very often refuse to identify as Republicans, either because they don't feel ideologically close enough (though closer than they are to the Democrats) or to pretend to be objective on issues like disputes between the Republicans and Democrats, where having 'IND' beside your name can give you more clout on it's own.

At the end of the day though, none of this is very relevant. A journalist's job is to be objective and leave their own prejudices at the door, which the evidence shows most do. You do get people at the likes of FOX News or Breitbart on one end of the spectrum and the likes of Daily KOS on the other, but it has been shown to Amerika over and over that there is no giant conspiracy. For NYT's lean to the left, NBC has a lean to the right that the right wingers try desperately to ignore and the same is true of so many publications. He even claimed to have not seen it, despite the fact he responded to it when I posted it weeks back in the election thread. This is typical of Republican voters lately, as addressing the facts does not help their cause - journalists jobs are to address these facts, so they are clearly aware of that.

F1.large.jpg

Fact is, there is no issue here as news journalists jobs require them to be impartial and the evidence shows them to be so. That they in their personal lives identify more strongly as Democratic is the fault of nobody's but the Republican party - they got a huge boost through the Southern Strategy that saw them utterly dominate politics in the US for quite a while (which is mainly why they hate the Clintons so much, for taking that away). They got to reap the rewards of race baiting, playing to people's fears, politics of hate and offering easy answers that don't address the issues during those years... and now they get to reap them more than they ever would have wanted.

I think the last 4 years have really seen it hit breaking point now; they've created a Frankenstein within a voter base (not just Trump, the Tea Party too and some might argue the Libertarians though they are more of a sister party of sorts in my opinion). The position they've found themselves in now is incredibly difficult - remain as one dysfunctional basket case, able to pander to a wider range at state level but with very slim hopes of winning any Presidential elections, or disband into 3 parties which makes little sense as the Democrats would walk all over any of those three in isolation. Their genuine best bet on this front would be the Bernie Sanders supporters looking to do likewise within the Democrats. Outside of that the only real possible answer I can see for them is to hit a complete reset button - Paul Ryan seems a decent figurehead to do so, but how they successfully do so is a completely other matter filled with it's own difficulties.

TL;DR... Democrats dominate college educated voters. Journalists tend to have college educations. Republicans mock these people as 'elitists' and cannot expect their support. However, journalists jobs involve being objective and with exceptions to the left and to the right, this is the case. It is that objectivity coupled with their educations that likely causes them to identify with the Democrats more. And the Republicans have nobody but themselves to blame for their sneering at education for so long, especially in the last 10-15 years which has by no coincidence seen the number of journalists identifying with them plummet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Fair enough.

Here you go. I trust the study will suffice.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/05/06/just-7-percent-of-journalists-are-republicans-thats-far-less-than-even-a-decade-ago/

(Will you also require Dibbler to back up his attack on me, or are some things just a given? :p)

That's says how journalists identify politically the biggest group is independent/other who amount to about 65%. Journalist who identify with the big two parties more are democrats than republican. That study does not back to the claim in the thread. If anything it shows a 2-1 independent bias.

• Advertisement

now we find out Google is censoring stories and fixing search results about Clinton’s health.
    I would like to point out to the mods that this has been thoroughly debunked in this thread already, as recently as yesterday, and with the large images relating to this topic throughout the thread that caused irritation to the mods, there is no 'I didn't see it' excuse.

Advertisement