Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The biased Media vs Trump!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ebbsy wrote: »
    Trump 2 points ahead in Florida in a Cnn poll.....

I think he is going to win by a fair margin.

the five thirty eight projection doesn't even collect the CNN poll, likely because it isn't scientific enough to be weighted. They still have her leading the vast majority of state polling.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/florida/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Amerika wrote: »
    That they’re not what the majority of people here portray them to be... Evil second amendment moaners who’s main focus is to put guns into the hands of irresponsible people and worse.

Except it doesn't. It's just a carefully worded glorified press release refusing to take any sort of responsibility at all for their actions.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The NRA at work - spending rather more ($36.3 million) than Planned Parenthood (Total Lobbying Expenditures: $767,485) on lobbying this election year:
    https://www.thetrace.org/2016/10/nra-breaks-campaign-spending-record/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

... says the person who wants people to produce ID in order to purchase a firearm, but not to vote?

Why do you always ignore the SCOTUS ruling on United States v. Emerson (2001)?

Seeing as you mentioned a Supreme Court Judgement, here's another one for you. Bear with me, you'll see where i am going with this.

DRED SCOTT, PLAINTIFF IN ERROR,
    v.
    JOHN F. A. SANDFORD.
    December Term, 1856

Mr. Scott, a 'negro' slave, sued in a bid to win his freedom. He was told that he could not sue in his bid for freedom because the Court refused to recognize negro's as citizens, regardless of their status as slave/free.

Why am i bringing this up?

Well, the original Constitution of the United States included the Three-Fifths compromise. Which, effectively, enshrined the right to bear slaves in the constitution.

In 2016, the very notion of owning a slave is abhorrent to people - regardless of their skin colour.

Yet, in 1789 slavery was not only widespread, but enshrined in the Constitution.

My point, as you may have guessed, is that a document framed in 1789 in a completely different era in history will have multiple anachronisms.

The 2nd Amendment had a very real, tangible purpose in 1791. A well-armed, regulated militia could indeed have a chance to overthrow a corrupt government or defend themselves against acts of aggression.

In 2016, gun ownership will not offer any citizen the opportunity to do so.

If the US government went rogue and you gathered together 300 of your best friends, armed yourselves with assault rifles, they could (if they chose) drop a nuke on your entire city and level it.

Your guns will do nothing.

The original meaning and purpose of the 2nd Amendment has long ceased. Guns are responsible for making killing people a lot easier than killing people with knives and baseball bats.

It's completely alien to me the zealous defence of the 2nd Amendment and, normally, it's undertaken by the Trump demographic - white, non-college-educated men seem to be most vocal about their right to guns.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I can see why you're voting for Trump :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Seeing as you mentioned a Supreme Court Judgement, here's another one for you. Bear with me, you'll see where i am going with this.

v.
    JOHN F. A. SANDFORD.
    December Term, 1856

Mr. Scott, a 'negro' slave, sued in a bid to win his freedom. He was told that he could not sue in his bid for freedom because the Court refused to recognize negro's as citizens, regardless of their status as slave/free.

Well, the original Constitution of the United States included the Three-Fifths compromise. Which, effectively, enshrined the right to bear slaves in the constitution.

In 2016, the very notion of owning a slave is abhorrent to people - regardless of their skin colour.

Yet, in 1789 slavery was not only widespread, but enshrined in the Constitution.

My point, as you may have guessed, is that a document framed in 1789 in a completely different era in history will have multiple anachronisms.

The 2nd Amendment had a very real, tangible purpose in 1791. A well-armed, regulated militia could indeed have a chance to overthrow a corrupt government or defend themselves against acts of aggression.

If the US government went rogue and you gathered together 300 of your best friends, armed yourselves with assault rifles, they could (if they chose) drop a nuke on your entire city and level it.

The original meaning and purpose of the 2nd Amendment has long ceased. Guns are responsible for making killing people a lot easier than killing people with knives and baseball bats.

It's completely alien to me the zealous defence of the 2nd Amendment and, normally, it's undertaken by the Trump demographic - white, non-college-educated men seem to be most vocal about their right to guns.

The three-Fifths compromise did not protect or enshrine slavery in the constitution, it was in fact a method to give the slave states more power at the federal level, as the representation in Washington DC was based on census figures by counting slaves even as a fraction it gave the southern states mor clout in the House and in the electrol college.

• Advertisement

The three-Fifths compromise did not protect or enshrine slavery in the constitution, it was in fact a method to give the slave states more power at the federal level, as the representation in Washington DC was based on census figures by counting slaves even as a fraction it gave the southern states mor clout in the House and in the electrol college.

It sure as hell recognised and accepted the existence of slavery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

It sure as hell recognised and accepted the existence of slavery.

Yes it and the reality of the law at the time did, but it did not enshrine and protect slavery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

v.
    JOHN F. A. SANDFORD.
    December Term, 1856

Ah yes, the evil gun-toting racist republicans voting for Trump. Everyone likes a good myth, eh?

Let’s look at another bit of history…

On September 28, 1868, a mob of Democrats massacred nearly 300 African-American Republicans in Opelousas, Louisiana. The savagery began when racist Democrats attacked a newspaper editor, a white Republican and schoolteacher for ex-slaves. Several African-Americans rushed to the assistance of their friend, and in response, Democrats went on a “Negro hunt,” killing every African-American (all of whom were Republicans) in the area they could find.

When gun permits came into existence, they were often denied to blacks in the South (See Martin Luther King as an example).
    The NRA opposed these discretionary gun permit laws and proceeded to grant NRA charters to blacks who sought to defend themselves from Klan violence, including the great civil rights hero Robert F. Williams.

Ah yes, the evil gun-toting racist republicans voting for Trump. Everyone likes a good myth, eh?

On September 28, 1868, a mob of Democrats massacred nearly 300 African-American Republicans in Opelousas, Louisiana. The savagery began when racist Democrats attacked a newspaper editor, a white Republican and schoolteacher for ex-slaves. Several African-Americans rushed to the assistance of their friend, and in response, Democrats went on a “Negro hunt,” killing every African-American (all of whom were Republicans) in the area they could find.

When gun permits came into existence, they were often denied to blacks in the South (See Martin Luther King as an example).
    The NRA opposed these discretionary gun permit laws and proceeded to grant NRA charters to blacks who sought to defend themselves from Klan violence, including the great civil rights hero Robert F. Williams.
    That doesnt refute the point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

LOL are you going to try to pretend the Southern Strategy wasn't a thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-12-04/birth-of-the-southern-strategy
    When Lyndon Johnson signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act, he’s said to have predicted, “There goes the South for a generation.” He feared black suffrage would prompt white Southerners to abandon the Democratic Party. Under Richard Nixon, the GOP’s “Southern Strategy” aimed to ensure it by systematically making veiled (and often not-so-veiled) racist appeals to white voters. “From now on,” Nixon aide Kevin Phillips told him, “the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote, and they don’t need any more than that.”

The Southern Strategy succeeded beyond what even Nixon could have imagined. It set off—or hastened—a political realignment in which the Democratic “Solid South” abandoned an attachment dating to the Civil War. In 1980, Ronald Reagan carried the entire South except for Jimmy Carter’s home state of Georgia. In 1994 a gain of 19 House seats in the South enabled the Republican takeover of Congress.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    That doesnt refute the point...

Indeed. Yet another exercise in distraction and red herrings.

alastair wrote: »

Basically. It's void of the concept that if the party's flipped positions in an hour, and the DNC was lockstep with the NRA and the GOP suddenly wanted to enact regulations on guns and purchases of, ordinary people would be of the same mind on the issue.

alastair wrote: »

No, just a continuation of history, showing historical circumstances continues to show the right to bear arms under the US Constitution remains relevant, and prevails to this day.

most of the laws at the federal level deal with interstate travel and commerce though. And 2A is clear: a well regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state; etc

Overheal wrote: »
    most of the laws at the federal level deal with interstate travel and commerce though. And 2A is clear: a well regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state; etc

If we wish to continue with this line of thought regarding 2A of yours, which seemingly keys on the word 'militia'... What exactly was a militia, and how exactly was it armed?

If we wish to continue with this line of thought regarding 2A of yours, which seemingly keys on the word 'militia'... What exactly was a militia, and how exactly was it armed?

I can tell you what it wasn't.

A soccer-mom driving a Jeep to do her shopping at Wal-Mart.

But, hey, she gets to have guns and be part of this well-regulated militia :rolleyes:

Funny. But the 2nd Amendment is clear in it’s intention, no matter how the Left wishes to believe there are hidden lines within the lines.

On the contrary. 'Well regulated militias' is clearly not hidden - unless you're of the gun nut persuasion, and choose to ignore that contextualisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Anybody want Trump to win, simply to beat the haters, the biased tv show hosts in America trying to ruin his campaign, the biased news stations all against him! Say what you like about him, the guy tells it like it is according to him.. he doesn't sugarcoat. Much of what he says too, is true and right, but too many people are on a bandwagon against him, not willing to agree, just to conform with others. Hilary Clinton is corrupt... yet the media let's her have a pass on that .. the email scandals for one thing.. Fox news has trumps side, but not sure if any others do . Way too many people on the bandwagon.. Trump says a lot of things that are correct

He'd probably get elected in Tipperary then. Same as Michael Lowry. There's no law against stupid.

I can tell you what it wasn't.

A soccer-mom driving a Jeep to do her shopping at Wal-Mart.

But, hey, she gets to have guns and be part of this well-regulated militia :rolleyes:

If it comes to it, I’ll take a gun-wielding soccer mom in her Jeep to help fight against invasion or tyranny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If it comes to it, I’ll take a gun-wielding soccer mom in her Jeep to help fight against invasion or tyranny.

Won't do much good against an F15, a drone or a tank..........

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Won't do much good against an F15, a drone or a tank..........

Tell that to ISIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Clearly when the framers of the constitution put it together they wanted future generations to interpret the constitution as the time fits. It was an example of what could be achieved if devotion to public office was respected and not abused. It is an example to the entire world. Many other revolutionary statements like the 1916 Proclamation, the Rights of Man, the Charter of Human Rights all echo the sentiments expressed in the US Declaration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Back on topic please and up the standard of posting. This thread is meant to be a discussion on anti-Trump media bias.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You can’t make this stuff up. The DNC (who ousted their chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz after WikiLeaks emails showed she rigged the primary election by working against Bernie Sanders, and who replaced her with media journalist Donna Brazile who according to other email leaks provided the Hillary Clinton campaign with questions ahead of the CNN Town Hall debate) is, get this… suing the GOP over Trump's claims the election is rigged.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/26/politics/democrats-republicans-donald-trump-lawsuit/index.html

I briefly mentioned this here in another post when it first was reported. Sadly, I had to go overseas to find anyone doing any real digging into the reports that a political action committee working to get Clinton elected steered nearly $500,000 to the wife of the FBI official who oversaw the Clinton email investigation.

You barely hear anything of this from our mainstream media. And people say the media isn’t helping to rig this election against Trump. Give me a break!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3876506/Hillary-Clinton-headlined-fundraiser-campaign-group-gave-500-000-wife-FBI-boss-investigated-emails-s-closely-linked-bid-power.html#ixzz4OIXM76xL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

I briefly mentioned this here in another post when it first was reported. Sadly, I had to go overseas to find anyone doing any real digging into the reports that a political action committee working to get Clinton elected steered nearly $500,000 to the wife of the FBI official who oversaw the Clinton email investigation.

You barely hear anything of this from our mainstream media. And people say the media isn’t helping to rig this election against Trump. Give me a break!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3876506/Hillary-Clinton-headlined-fundraiser-campaign-group-gave-500-000-wife-FBI-boss-investigated-emails-s-closely-linked-bid-power.html#ixzz4OIXM76xL

Why would you hear or read it in mainstream media though? Mainstream media isn't even mainstream anymore - no-one really believes what the NYT says, or the Telegraph, Irish Times, etc.,. Most people born in the last 20-30 years knows full well the news is a load of crock as well.

So, bring on Clinton! Let's see what she does! It is a pity so many are going to learn the hard way and make life difficult for people who are less vulnerable to media.

You barely hear anything because it's a non-story. Unless there was some manner of time machine involved, and the PAC was actually working to get Hillary elected (it wasn't - it was working to get Jill McCabe elected), this all happened in 2015, before the emails investigation, and the FBI officer flagged the nature of his relationship to his wife's run, and was removed from dealing with any VA political cases. It's all above board, and nothing to do with Hillary, other than her MC'ing a fund-raiser for someone else in 2015.

Iceboy, stop dumping videos and one-liners here please. This is a forum for serious discussion. If you want to share a video, make a point and use the video to back it up. Thanks.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One can judge DT for themselves. Videos of what he says are not some third party media screening.
    This guy is a disgusting and dangerous individual. He is a classic sociopath.
    How he treats this woman in Sydney speaks for itself. Oddly, it's so wholly unamerican to treat a woman like this.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/29/jennifer-hawkins-declines-to-criticise-donald-trump-over-stage-encounter

And yet, she won't criticise him out of fear of the little power he has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Water John wrote: »
    One can judge DT for themselves. Videos of what he says are not some third party media screening.
    This guy is a disgusting and dangerous individual. He is a classic sociopath.
    How he treats this woman in Sydney speaks for itself. Oddly, it's so wholly unamerican to treat a woman like this.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/29/jennifer-hawkins-declines-to-criticise-donald-trump-over-stage-encounter

And yet, she won't criticise him out of fear of the little power he has.

Trump’s talk is indefensible. But Hillary Clinton’s actions as secretary of state, carrying out the Obama administration’s foreign policies, have cost many lives in many places, including the American ambassador and others killed in Benghazi. Women have a right to be offended by Trump’s words. But women have suffered a far worse fate from Secretary Clinton’s and President Obama’s actions. Pulling American troops out of Iraq, despite military advice to the contrary, led to the sudden rise of ISIS and their seizing of many women and young girls as sex slaves.

Advertisement