Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The biased Media vs Trump!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Joe

alastair wrote: »
    You talk about "facts" then link to strongly anti Trump media publication claiming there is no bias....:pac:

May aswell just link Salon, the Guardian and the Irish Times while were at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Mr Joe wrote: »
    You talk about "facts" then link to strongly anti Trump media publication claiming there is no bias....:pac:

May aswell just link Salon, the Guardian and the Irish Times while were at it.
    The sites you keep linking to were the worst offenders. It doesn't prove any point.

Feel free to stick your heads in the sand. You won't learn much there though. The study wasn't undertaken by the NYT, Salon, the Guardian, or the Irish Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Feel free to stick your head in the sand. You won't learn much there though. The study wasn't undertaken by the NYT, Salon, the Guardian, or the Irish Times.

The polls all had it spot on as well. Never doubt the media folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Joe

Feel free to stick your head in the sand. You won't learn much there though. The study wasn't undertaken by the NYT, Salon, the Guardian, or the Irish Times.
    Think it's you with your head in the sand if you think the media was not biased against Trump. I think the issue is you are against him to so can't admit it. There wouldn't be 90 pages in this thread if there was no bias.

No whether the bias helped him or not is another question, it probably did. Nobody likes being told what to think, especially by sneering metropolitan liberals. People want to hear both points of view and decide for themselves. The mainstream media became Clinton cheerleaders, just like Brexit, out of touch with reality. It's why mainstream media is dying off, and alternative/online media is taking over.

The polls all had it spot on as well. Never doubt the media folks.

Let's break this down, as it seems to pose some difficulty. The researchers collated a range of media reports on both candidates, after the fact, measured the data. No polling, no real room for guesswork, or people misrepresenting their future intentions. It's not even a media source, it's a bunch of data nerds, doing it off their own back.

But feel free to miss the point, once again.

• Advertisement

Mr Joe wrote: »
    Think it's you with your head in the sand if you think the media was not biased against Trump. I think the issue is you are against him to so can't admit it. There wouldn't be 90 pages in this thread if there was no bias.

There are far more than 90 pages covering even greater nonsense on boards. It really isn't proof of anything.

Let me break down my point of view for you, I don't believe what media outlets like the Washington Post decide what is and what is not fact regardless of what median they claim to have used.

Let me break down my point of view for you, I don't believe what media outlets like the Washington Post decide what is and what is not fact regardless of what median they claim to have used.

Nope, you're still not getting it. I'll try something simpler; the WP are claiming nothing. It's not their research.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The sites you keep linking to were the worst offenders. It doesn't prove any point.

Disregarding a source simply because you don't like it is against the charter. If you have something to refute the source then post it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

vetinari wrote: »
    Ultimately Trump's biggest trick was convincing people that the media was unfairly biased against him. In reality they were not nearly biased enough. The likes of CNN spent months normalizing a racist misogynist candidate. In way you have to say fair play to Trump. I never thought you could pull that off in 2016. I underestimated how much the media would pander to Trump for ratings.

Lamenting that they weren't biased enough kind of makes the entirety of your post hard to take seriously to be honest.

• Advertisement

Point I'm trying to make is one report even if it's "outsourced" doesn't automatically give it any credibility.

"In the twelve weeks since the party conventions concluded in late July, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has received significantly more broadcast network news coverage than his Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton, but nearly all of that coverage (91%) has been hostile, according to a new study by the Media Research Center (MRC)."

http://www.mrc.org/

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/10/study-91-percent-of-trump-coverage-on-broadcast-news-was-negative-230297

Point I'm trying to make is one report even if it's "outsourced" doesn't automatically give it any credibility.
    Nope, you're still not getting it. It's not 'outsourced' research. It's credibility comes from the objectively measurable nature of the data.
    "In the twelve weeks since the party conventions concluded in late July, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has received significantly more broadcast network news coverage than his Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton, but nearly all of that coverage (91%) has been hostile, according to a new study by the Media Research Center (MRC)."

http://www.mrc.org/

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/10/study-91-percent-of-trump-coverage-on-broadcast-news-was-negative-230297
    Hmm, I wonder what were topical issues relating to Donald J Trump in the period August to November? I wonder what the Conservative MRC failed to take into account in that context? Pretty hard to put a positive spin on a self admission of sexual assault.

Nope, you're still not getting it. It's not 'outsourced' research. It's credibility comes from the objectively measurable nature of the data.

Hmm, I wonder what were topical issues relating to Donald J Trump in the period August to November? I wonder what the Conservative MRC failed to take into account in that context? Pretty hard to put a positive spin on a self admission of sexual assault.

We need some media polls to get a better idea of what actually happened. In all seriousness, I don't trust the media, I judge from what I see and make my own mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

We need some media polls to get a better idea of what actually happened. In all seriousness, I don't trust the media, I judge from what I see and make my own mind up.

and where do you see the stuff you judge ?

Polls have nothing to do with it.

The objective data gathering gives us the actual picture, but you've opted to ignore it.

You instead choose to post up information from a known politically conservative group, who seem surprised that a candidate who mistakenly revealed he engaged in sexual assault might garner negative coverage in that media cycle.

I think your 'mind making' process is clear enough.

Thank you, I'm quite proud of it.

marienbad wrote: »
    and where do you see the stuff you judge ?

Combination of things, internet and social media mostly.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Those bastions of fact-based, unbiased journalism.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Those bastions of fact-based, unbiased journalism.

Can't be any worse than CNN journos getting full sheets of questions from the DNC for Trump interviews.

so the media in other words ?

• Advertisement

so the media in other words ?

Yes, just not the MSM who have strong agendas for financial gain and political allegiances etc.

Yes, just not the MSM who have strong agendas for financial reasons etc.

And the others don't ?

And the others don't ?

It's not on the same level, the amount of money involved, the direct connections to powerful political figures, the strategic discussions between the MSM and the campaign managers themselves ( Podesta ) in how to propagate viewpoints.

Another big point is the discussion factor. By simply watching a certain news network you sit there and are forced to indulge the information. By using message boards, twitter etc you can have open discussions and in many cases find the stories propagated to be actually untrue or mislead.

A late example would be the media not mentioning in the photo taken with HRC in the woods post election is that the Women knew each other. The Woman has since removed photos from her facebook of her previous meetings with Hillary. Another example would be the guy on CNN freaking out over the popular vote, but it was never mentioned he was an employee of CNN.

Maybe they're all coincidences though, either way it's an option to open your viewpoint and gain outside factors which the MSM will never disclose to discredit such "stories".

Another big point is the discussion factor. By simply watching a certain news network you sit there and are forced to indulge the information. By using message boards, twitter etc you can have open discussions and in many cases find the stories propagated to be actually untrue or mislead.

A late example would be the media not mentioning in the photo taken with HRC in the woods post election is that the Women knew each other. The Woman has since removed photos from her facebook of her previous meetings with Hillary.

How many ways is this simply incorrect?

The source of this wasn't traditional media, it was your preferred source; social media, Facebook specifically.

The woman doesn't know Hillary, any more than millions of other Hillary supporters do. That would be the reason the media didn't mention it.

The woman, had a single photo on her Facebook, taken at a senatorial Hillary fundraiser 15 years ago. She hasn't removed any photos of previous meetings from her Facebook - she's pulled her entire account contents because of the sort of idiots who get stirred up by the sort of slipshod social media misinformation that this post typifies.

How many ways is this simply incorrect?

The source of this wasn't traditional media, it was your preferred source; social media, Facebook specifically.

The woman doesn't know Hillary, any more than millions of other Hillary supporters do. That would be the reason the media didn't mention it.

The woman, had a single photo on her Facebook, taken at a senatorial Hillary fundraiser 15 years ago. She hasn't removed any photos of previous meetings from her Facebook - she's pulled her entire account contents because of the sort of idiots who get stirred up by the sort of slipshod social media misinformation that this post typifies.

In fairness it wouldn't be the first time she lied about a photograph. :pac:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/791263939015376902

6ehJUXX.jpg

In fairness it wouldn't be the first time she lied about a photograph. :pac:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/791263939015376902

Given that she didn't post that, I'm not quite sure what your point is?

It's not on the same level, the amount of money involved, the direct connections to powerful political figures, the strategic discussions between the MSM and the campaign managers themselves ( Podesta ) in how to propagate viewpoints.

A late example would be the media not mentioning in the photo taken with HRC in the woods post election is that the Women knew each other. The Woman has since removed photos from her facebook of her previous meetings with Hillary. Another example would be the guy on CNN freaking out over the popular vote, but it was never mentioned he was an employee of CNN.

Maybe they're all coincidences though, either way it's an option to open your viewpoint and gain outside factors which the MSM will never disclose to discredit such "stories".

Well if you are that naïve I will leave you to it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Polls have nothing to do with it.

The objective data gathering gives us the actual picture, but you've opted to ignore it.

You instead choose to post up information from a known politically conservative group, who seem surprised that a candidate who mistakenly revealed he engaged in sexual assault might garner negative coverage in that media cycle.

Sexual assault??

He did allude to women let you do anything when you are famous. That means consent is given when "they let you"

That is not assault.

Its not cool and its no way to talk but its not assault

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

Mr.H wrote: »
    Sexual assault??

He did allude to women let you do anything when you are famous. That means consent is given when "they let you"

That is not assault.

Its not cool and its no way to talk but its not assault

They let you indicating they don't stop you. That is sexual assault. Going up and grabbing people in sensitive areas is sexual assault irregarsless of whether or not they attempt to stop you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Christy42 wrote: »
    They let you indicating they don't stop you. That is sexual assault. Going up and grabbing people in sensitive areas is sexual assault irregarsless of whether or not they attempt to stop you.

"Shot this guy right in the back of the head. Didn't object. Must have been consensual."

Advertisement