Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The biased Media vs Trump!

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mr.H wrote: »
    Sexual assault??

He did allude to women let you do anything when you are famous. That means consent is given when "they let you"

That is not assault.

Its not cool and its no way to talk but its not assault

And this, boys and girls, is why we so desperately need to teach young people what consent actually means.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

oscarBravo wrote: »
    And this, boys and girls, is why we so desperately need to teach young people what consent actually means.

I'm sure you saw this but there are special folks who think consent is a gimmick and a cop out. Not sure whether to place them at or below the level of holocaust deniers

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57fee9aae4b0e8c198a6076d

"Here come the rape police!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

Can't be any worse than CNN journos getting full sheets of questions from the DNC for Trump interviews.

Anyone see John Oliver spout his usual hysterical nonsense? I do not think he realises that he and his ilk is one of the reasons why Trump has won. These late night comedians who comment on politics are narcissists, they pack the audience with people who egg them on and they think their view point is the only one that matters or the only one is right.

FA Hayek wrote: »
    Anyone see John Oliver spout his usual hysterical nonsense? I do not think he realises that he and his ilk is one of the reasons why Trump has won. These late night comedians who comment on politics are narcissists, they pack the audience with people who egg them on and they think their view point is the only one that matters or the only one is right.

Well it is comedy, not journalism. Just very well fact-checked comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

Trump supporters were influenced by a comedian?
    Actually agree they probably are that dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

"Trump won because of John Oliver."

There isn't half some rubbish being trollied out in lieu of critical analysis. Trump didn't win because of John Oliver, CNN, smug liberals, or self-congratulating coastal elite bubbles. He won because enough people swallowed his bull****. Not a majority of course, but sufficient numbers so that they, combined with the 'vote-for-anything-on-the-GOP-ticket', combined to win enough electoral colleges.

The fashionable meme of blaming liberal commentators on Trump's win makes about as much sense as blaming Obama's wins on Fox News commentators or clowns like Ann Coulter. As in none at all. At least Oliver has the benefits of being funny, and of some sort of integrity when it comes to the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Joe

Usual disgusting racism from CNN. That man was viciously assaulted for no reason. Stuff like this is the reason Trump won, the Liberals will never grasp that though.

Mr Joe wrote: »
    That man was viciously assaulted for no reason.

That man was viciously assaulted in the course of a dispute over a traffic collision. While filming the assault, some onlookers shouted about voting for Trump.

It was a vicious assault by some people who need to be prosecuted for it. It had nothing to do with Trump until the people recording it decided to make it about him.

But sure: if it suits your narrative to claim that what boils down to a road rage incident is the reason Trump won, knock yourself out.

alastair wrote: »
    "Trump won because of John Oliver."

There isn't half some rubbish being trollied out in lieu of critical analysis. Trump didn't win because of John Oliver, CNN, smug liberals, or self-congratulating coastal elite bubbles. He won because enough people swallowed his bull****.

So Trump won because people are stupid i.e. his supporters are stupid, the opposite being of course the Hilary Clinton supporters are virtuous and good.

Thanks for proving the point that indeed Trump won because of opinions like that.

John Oliver and his ilk are indeed so disconnected from the average American, they have become a parody of themselves in many ways. The more and more I look at this media elite with their fawning millennials on social media and the likes of the Huff Post, Vox, Gawker and Buzzfeed the more I am reminded of this guy.

7d54bf3e175252c1f689cb3383647148.jpg

Oh, and these protests. A joke. Just of a bunch of idiots who want to smash things up. If it were the opposite they would be castigated and mocked by your usual comedic cohorts.
    It turns out that most of those arrested did not even vote.
    Local NBC News affiliate KGW cross-checked the names of the 112 people arrested by Portland police with state voter logs, and found that at least 70 of the protesters who were detained did not cast a vote in 2016. Of those who did not vote, half were not even registered voters.
    http://heatst.com/politics/portland-protest-vote/

Now THAT is stupid. Protest an election results you didn't even vote in, get arrested for breaking the law in the process. *Slow handclap*

I wonder will this fact be covered by the usual array of comedic TV talents? I very much doubt it. Easier to call rednecks hicks.

• Advertisement

So Trump won because people are stupid i.e. his supporters are stupid, the opposite being of course the Hilary Clinton supporters are virtuous and good.
    Anyone who bought his platform promises is pretty stupid alright. Which doesn't imply anything with regard to Hillary voters.
    Thanks for proving the point that indeed Trump won because of opinions like that.
    Eh, I've proven no such thing (and nor have you).
    John Oliver and his ilk are indeed so disconnected from the average American, they have become a parody of themselves in many ways. The more and more I look at this media elite with their fawning millennials on social media and the likes of the Huff Post, Vox, Gawker and Buzzfeed the more I am reminded of this guy.
    That's nice for you, but it's worth pointing out that the 'disconnected' telly guy was advocating that the better candidate was Hillary - and a majority of over a million voters seem to have agreed with him when it came to voting. Perhaps it's you who doesn't understand the average American?

Easier to call rednecks hicks.

Rednecks are hicks. A subset admittedly, but there you go.

That man was viciously assaulted in the course of a dispute over a traffic collision. While filming the assault, some onlookers shouted about voting for Trump.

It was a vicious assault by some people who need to be prosecuted for it. It had nothing to do with Trump until the people recording it decided to make it about him.

But sure: if it suits your narrative to claim that what boils down to a road rage incident is the reason Trump won, knock yourself out.
    Wow

Even the guy himself said it was. And still you are an apologist for Black racist thugs brutually assaulting an old man just for voting Trump. People like you are disgusting. What a surprise you are an Admin on here...you fit the stereotype for sure...:pac:

Rednecks are hicks. A subset admittedly, but there you go.
    More racism from Liberals, exactly the reason Trump won and your Social Justice Warrior idealogy is dying off....keep it up...:D

More racism from Liberals, exactly the reason Trump won and your Social Justice Warrior idealogy is dying off....keep it up...:D

Oh please. No-one is buying this nonsense.

7d54bf3e175252c1f689cb3383647148.jpg

Here you go

anigif_enhanced-27459-1443028108-2.gif

Not sure what to think about now that we're blaming comedy for the problems in Journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Overheal wrote: »
    Not sure what to think about now that we're blaming comedy for the problems in Journalism.

Interesting comment from the side that often posted clips of Jon Stewart as an authoritative representative of the thoughts and minds of the people regarding political events.

Amerika wrote: »
    Interesting comment from the side that often posted clips of Jon Stewart as an authoritative representative of the thoughts and minds of the people regarding political events.

I've got $500 to your pick of charity that I ever said any such thing.

Even the guy himself said it was.
    No, he didn't. He said that he had voted for Trump; he didn't say that he had been assaulted for voting for Trump. The police reports on the incident make it clear that the assault followed from a traffic accident. The video of the assault doesn't show the people who carried out the assault saying anything about Trump; it's the bystanders who are shouting about him.
    And still you are an apologist for Black racist thugs brutually assaulting an old man just for voting Trump. People like you are disgusting.
    People like me? You mean people who prefer facts over sensationalised lies that reinforce preconceived ideas?

Yeah, I'm such a monster.

If you weren't so busy getting annoyed at me bringing facts to a bullshit fest, you'd have noticed me saying that it was a "vicious assault by some people who need to be prosecuted for it." Quite how that makes me an apologist, I just don't know.
    What a surprise you are an Admin on here...you fit the stereotype for sure...:pac:
    What stereotype?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The video of the assault doesn't show the people who carried out the assault saying anything about Trump; it's the bystanders who are shouting about him.
    They are not "bystanders" the girls proudly filming the incident are with the "gents" perpetrating the assault. You can see them coming and going from behind the camera angle to get a few digs in. The guy in the deep pocketed blue tracksuit bottoms robs something from inside the car too.
    All in the name of democracy of course.

Which reminds me, I see Obama has been stomping around the Parthenon in Athens today, that birthplace of western civilisation and democracy.

And then somehow twisting it to look like he symbolically represents democracy himself, as opposed to Trump.
    And like the Greeks letting through a million or so unvetted illegal Islamic immigrants is somehow helpful or symbolic to the concept of western civilisation and democracy.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    They are not "bystanders" the girls proudly filming the incident are with the "gents" perpetrating the assault. You can see them coming and going from behind the camera angle to get a few digs in. The guy in the deep pocketed blue tracksuit bottoms robs something from inside the car too.

Which reminds me, I see Obama has been stomping around the Parthenon in Athens today, that birthplace of western civilisation and democracy.

And then somehow twisting it to look like he symbolically represents democracy himself, as opposed to Trump.
    And like the Greeks letting through a million or so unvetted illegal Islamic immigrants is somehow helpful or symbolic to the concept of western civilisation and democracy.

Where to begin?

What suggests that the muggers are doing anything 'for democracy'? Aside from your creative fiction musings of course?

How exactly is Obama 'twisting it up' to look like he 'symbolically' represents democracy? He was actually democratically elected - twice. That's a pretty good 'non-symbolic' representation of democracy in action.

The asylum seekers entering Greece were not 'islamic immigrants' - they were muslims who have a legal right to seek asylum. So they were acting quite legally, and their religion has nothing to do with the process. The civilised thing - western or otherwise, is to help people in need - which the Greeks did to the best of their abilities.

They are not "bystanders" the girls proudly filming the incident are with the "gents" perpetrating the assault. You can see them coming and going from behind the camera angle to get a few digs in.
    There's one girl filming the assault, and judging by the volume of her voice on the recording, she's the one mouthing off about Trump.
    The guy in the deep pocketed blue tracksuit bottoms robs something from inside the car too.
    So he's guilty of larceny as well as assault.
    No, not in the name of democracy. There's no evidence that this assault was caused by how the man voted.

I can tell you really, really want to believe that that's why he was beaten up, but wanting something to be true won't make it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Where to begin?

What suggests that the muggers are doing anything 'for democracy'? Aside from your creative fiction musings of course?

How exactly is Obama 'twisting it up' to look like he 'symbolically' represents democracy? He was actually democratically elected - twice. That's a pretty good 'non-symbolic' representation of democracy in action.

The asylum seekers entering Greece were not 'islamic immigrants' - they were muslims who have a legal right to seek asylum. So they were acting quite legally, and their religion has nothing to do with the process. The civilised thing - western or otherwise, is to help people in need - which the Greeks did to the best of their abilities.

The vast majority were Muslim not that that matters but helping the immigrants was the least they could have done.

Come on, why do you think he arranged his photo-op for the Parthenon?
    Its symbolism. He is trying to link the Democrats with democracy, as if the incoming administration are anti-democratic.
    While there, he disparages the so called populist parties in Europe as if there was a difference between "populist" and "democratic".

Next up he will follow the migrant trail to Germany, where he will meet the vehemently anti-Trump Merkel, who is soon to be consigned to the same dustbin of history that Hillary was recently cast into by a democratic (populist) electorate.

Here's a better link to the assault video.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    The vast majority were Muslim not that that matters but helping the immigrants was the least they could have done.

Their being Muslim doesn't make them 'Islamic immigrants'.

Come on, why do you think he arranged his photo-op for the Parthenon?
    Its symbolism. He is trying to link the Democrats with democracy, as if the incoming administration are anti-democratic.

And here he is, cynically trying to symbolically associate himself with the the little children of Stonehenge, and dew drops' cry and the cats' meow.

d47d9abd-39c0-4ec3-99ab-42fc08cb5c7c-2060x1392.jpeg?w=720&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

KingBrian2 wrote: »

If it doesn't matter then why mention it?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,926 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fintan O Toole on the today fm trying to reason why people voted for Trump

Hilarious how the media cannot accept the result and need to keep preaching about why this absurdity happened.

The smug arrogance of the Irish media never fails to deliver.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Fintan O Toole on the today fm trying to reason why people voted for Trump

Hilarious how the media cannot accept the result and need to keep preaching about why this absurdity happened.

The smug arrogance of the Irish media never fails to deliver.

surely after any election everyone tries to makes sense of the result - why should O'Toole be any different ?

Something similar happened in 2012 when Romney lost and GOP strategists were dumbfounded . that just the way it is , you lose you regroup and try to come back stronger .

• Advertisement

Their being Muslim doesn't make them 'Islamic immigrants'.
    OK then, "bearded long-stay tourists".

Advertisement