Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The biased Media vs Trump!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

FA Hayek wrote: »
    That is just your opinion of course.

Of course it is - based on the evidence to hand. That's precisely why the same evidence produced the same reaction from all those commentators you mention. Don't be surprised when people respond poorly to a bad situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    It's funny how the "stupid Trump supporters" myth persists, when CNN/Edison exit polls showed that 54 percent of college-educated white men voted for Trump, and 45 percent of college-educated white women also voted for Trump.[/quote]
    Plenty of stupid people are college educated, to be fair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anecdotal of course but I have 2 friends who are openly pro-Trump. One is a bit racist with a tendency of spouting tabloidesque sentiments about Muslims and non-whites. The other is quite intelligent and sees Trump as being less likely to wage war at the behest of corporate interests and thinks he might be able to help foster an environment which might help job creation and investment.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I reckon figuring that out isn't rocket science.

That's all well and good - plenty of well educated voters will always vote for the GOP ticket. Conservatism before anything else. But anyone who voted for the man on the back of his platform is, at best, entirely gullible, despite their education. A bit of rational cop-on would have dismissed it for what it is - a large ambigious pile of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

But Permabear it is not just the 'liberal elites ' that used such descriptions , most of the GOP elite did so during the primaries also .

But that is not really the big issue facing the Democrats and the 'Liberal elites ' - The real question for me anyway is how in country where there is a natural democratic majority do you end up with a situation where the House, Senate , the Governorships are now all controlled by the GOP .

And it is not enough to say gerrymandering , gutting the voting rights act etc ( though that is partly responsible )

There has been a massive displacement because of Globalisation etc and no matter what Trump etc says those jobs are not coming back.

To be honest I don't believe the GOP or the Democrats have any idea what to do , so we just end up with yesterdays rhetoric for tomorrows problems .

Straw man argument. The difference between winning and losing the election isn't that great. It doesn't take every Trump voter to be dumb - just enough to push him over the line. Clearly many who voted for him held their nose whole doing so, but it's the idiots who bought his magical thinking (and widely offensive) platform that are the cause of incredulity.

• Advertisement

Would they? I don´t think you´ll find too many people who would boil things down into such simplistic terms TBH.

People like myself? Based on what? I don´t think Trump voters are uninformed as a whole. The only person I know in person who was vocally pro-Trump is educated and also one of the more intelligent people I know. You keep on trying to fit me into a neat little label based on a throwaway comment about how college education isn´t necessarily a mark of intelligece though.

Of course plenty of smart, educated people voted for Trump. I´m not sure anyone has actually tried to deny that though.

As for why smart, educated people voted for Trump, that´s pretty obvious. They were faced with a vote between two awful candidates, and opted for the one they viewed as the better option. I can´t say I fault them for it either, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But college students are 'brainwashed whiny libtards'...*head explodes*

Nowhere near half of white college graduates in the US voted for Trump. About half the electorate didn't vote for anyone. And keep in mind that the stats for where the white college graduate votes did go are from the Edison Research exit polls, which also predicted a Hillary win of 47.9% vs 44.7% for Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

When I pointed out that over half of women who voted cast their ballot for Trump, a Scandinavian woman at work almost roared back at me that they were protecting their white privilege.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

When I pointed out that over half of women who voted cast their ballot for Trump, a Scandinavian woman at work almost roared back at me that they were protecting their white privilege.

And some of us wonder how Sweden is where it is. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

The one positive of Trump's election, IMO, is that it's annoyed the feck out of those who harp on about white privilege and the like.

A small consolation, but it helps.

The one positive of Trump's election, IMO, is that it's annoyed the feck out of those who harp on about white privilege and the like.

A small consolation, but it helps.

why is that a good thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

jmayo wrote: »
    And some of us wonder how Sweden is where it is. :rolleyes:

What does being in Northern Europe west of the Baltic Sea and Gulf of Bothnia got to do with it?

marienbad wrote: »
    why is that a good thing ?

Because it's language that seems to be increasingly used to shout people down without actually listening to their opinion. I'm all for equality for everyone, but it's frustrating to see argument after argument shut down with cries of 'privilege', 'racism', etc. That isn't how you win people over to your side. You only have to look at the responses of so many trump supporters to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

20Cent wrote: »
    What does being in Northern Europe west of the Baltic Sea and Gulf of Bothnia got to do with it?
    I think the reference was more to Sweden's current social predicament than to its geographical position (which hasn't changed)
    Grenades in the streets. They leave terrible potholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

But Permabear it is not just the 'liberal elites ' that used such descriptions , most of the GOP elite did so during the primaries also .

But that is not really the big issue facing the Democrats and the 'Liberal elites ' - The real question for me anyway is how in country where there is a natural democratic majority do you end up with a situation where the House, Senate , the Governorships are now all controlled by the GOP .

And it is not enough to say gerrymandering , gutting the voting rights act etc ( though that is partly responsible )

There has been a massive displacement because of Globalisation etc and no matter what Trump etc says those jobs are not coming back.

To be honest I don't believe the GOP or the Democrats have any idea what to do , so we just end up with yesterdays rhetoric for tomorrows problems .

President elect Trump may not have all the solutions. He is more focused in his efforts to produce results and talk about what matters and the Democrats want to keep the people woefully uninformed and malleable so they can get into office. Trump Republicans are not afraid to state truths that will hurt the party while the Democrats are wedded to the old ideas assuming they can rescue the country from a crisis they helped instigate. Democratic signatures are all over legislation drafted by the GOP.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    President elect Trump may not have all the solutions. He is more focused in his efforts to produce results and talk about what matters and the Democrats want to keep the people woefully uninformed and malleable so they can get into office. Trump Republicans are not afraid to state truths that will hurt the party while the Democrats are wedded to the old ideas assuming they can rescue the country from a crisis they helped instigate. Democratic signatures are all over legislation drafted by the GOP.

Yes because the GOP blocked every bit of legislation instigated by the democrats .

Yes because the GOP blocked every bit of legislation instigated by the democrats .

The party yes not all Republicans even agreed with this. Take the Bush administration many Republicans went against their consciences when it came to the PATRIOT ACT and the regime change policy. They remained silenced and stood by the American flag. The core of the GOP is Libertarian in outlook as President Reagan once put it "I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism." This extract of one of his best quotes is a renunciation of American flag waving around the globe. The military aristocracy in Congress have all the power and the non interventionist Republicans + Libertarians have been shut up for decades totally disapproving of their gvt actions. We have to give these people time to come together and bring in a change. The current Trump team i'm talking about and see if they pursue the same regime change policies and donations to corrupt rulers that was the case in previous administrations or will they shift away from the regressive policies of the past.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    The party yes not all Republicans even agreed with this. Take the Bush administration many Republicans went against their consciences when it came to the PATRIOT ACT and the regime change policy. They remained silenced and stood by the American flag. The core of the GOP is Libertarians which a renunciation of American flag waving around the globe. The military aristocracy in Congress have all the power and the non interventionist Republicans + Libertarians have been shut up for decades totally disapproving of their gvt actions. We have to give these people time the current Trump and see if they pursue the same regime change policies and donations to corrupt rulers that was the case in previous administration.

It makes no difference if not all agreed with it , enough did so enough said .

It makes no difference if not all agreed with it , enough did so enough said .

The Democrats joined them in this they are co responsible but shelving out insults to those that never agreed with or approved with the policies of former administrations is unfair. You can't tie them to gvts of the past. They played no part in those decisions that were made, they were the victims of propaganda and deception and trying to inform the public about gvt abuse and changing the country for the best.

recedite wrote: »
    I think the reference was more to Sweden's current social predicament than to its geographical position (which hasn't changed)
    Grenades in the streets. They leave terrible potholes.

Clearly they don't. Looks more like any given Halloween around this neck of the woods.

[IMG]http://www.thelocal.se/userdata/images/1439184516_malmö2.jpg[/IMG]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

alastair wrote: »
    Travellers are objectively an ethnic minority on account of meeting the criteria..

Stopped reading there. The only criteria that matters is the one on the statue books in Ireland. Wild rantings, passive aggressive arm waving aside, there is nothing else that will change this, unless it is voted on in the Dail.

To summarise, Irish travellers are not recognised as an ethnic minority.

Back on topic please.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

alastair wrote: »
    Of course it is - based on the evidence to hand. That's precisely why the same evidence produced the same reaction from all those commentators you mention. Don't be surprised when people respond poorly to a bad situation.

The evidence that more college educated white males voted for Trump?
    Again, it seems you have reached an emotional conclusion and vainly, poorly attempts to find 'evidence' to back this up.

Advertisement