Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody loves Raymond Or The King of Queens?

Comments

Only one of them is funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Slightly dated topic but by far and away, King of Queens is funnier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

King of Queens was actually good/ watchable, Everyone Loves Raymond was just brutal, pity the wife loved to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tippfella2C

callaway92 wrote: »
    Slightly dated topic but by far and away, King of Queens is funnier.

Calloway, don't know what you mean by dated. Lot's of people still watch these shows.. unless you mean that this forum is only for shows that are still on?

Yeah I think King of Queens is a bit funnier too

Only one of them is funny.

well do tell, and say which in your opinion, is the funny one ..

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    King of Queens was actually good/ watchable, Everyone Loves Raymond was just brutal, pity the wife loved to watch it.

Yeah King of queens is very good. I've only watched a few of Everybody loves Raymond, and some of them are funny, but not as good as King of queens.

Doug and Arthur are hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I never got the appeal of Everybody Loves Raymond. I find it very dry humoured. In contrast The King of Queens is one of my all time favourite shows. I came across it on Comedy Central years ago and was hooked. One of the funniest sitcoms I've ever watched! Arthur is gold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Calloway, don't know what you mean by dated. Lot's of people still watch these shows.. unless you mean that this forum is only for shows that are still on?

Yeah I think King of Queens is a bit funnier too

I think what is meant is that it's a very arbitrary thread, picking two sitcoms apparently at random, both having ended about 10 years ago. Is there a reason why you picked those particular shows for comparison, that the last 10 years of comedy can't match, some link that makes the choice relevant, 'cos I don't see it!

It usually helps the discussion along if the original posters expand on why they asked the question, or posited the theory; what their thinking is, point of view, rather than a simple 'boxers or briefs' style question. Seeds of debate don't grow on their own, they need nurturing and encouragement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think what is meant is that it's a very arbitrary thread, picking two sitcoms apparently at random, both having ended about 10 years ago. Is there a reason why you picked those particular shows for comparison, that the last 10 years of comedy can't match, some link that makes the choice relevant, 'cos I don't see it!

It usually helps the discussion along if the original posters expand on why they asked the question, or posited the theory; what their thinking is, point of view, rather than a simple 'boxers or briefs' style question. Seeds of debate don't grow on their own, they need nurturing and encouragement.

Yeah, sorry. I meant that, just didn't explain myself properly.

King of Queens is one of my all time favourite shows. Carrie and the iPod episode stands out. She's still smoking hot btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

callaway92 wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry. I meant that, just didn't explain myself properly.

King of Queens is one of my all time favourite shows. Carrie and the iPod episode stands out. She's still smoking hot btw.

Is she still a Scientologist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

both are funny, i used to love everybody loves raymond. king of queens might just shade it for me. arthur spooner is one of the greatest characters of all time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I adored The King Of Queens, pity that Kevin James failed to come close to anything of the same quality since the show finished. Could never get into Everybody Loves Raymond, the father in law and Deborah were pretty hard to like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Never really got around to watching King of Queens but, for some reasion, I thought Kind of Queens was Grounded For Life, with Donal Logue starring, when I read the title of the thread.

FWIW anything I saw of Everybody Loves Raymond just reinforced my belief that it was crap. I ended up not being a fan of Patricia Heaton after it, until she moved on and did The Middle. Now I love her. Ray Romano is still crap. I couldn't stand him on Vinyl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ELR is much better than KoQ. Although Arthur is great in KoQ. I find that ELR is very undervalued, its a great comedy show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Doug Heffernan is actually a character in both of these sitcoms, there are a few episodes of ELR where Doug turns up as Ray's friend and likewise Ray Barone turns up in a few episodes of KOQ as Doug's friend. So they are of the same ilk, I understand why a question between them both has arisen.

KOQ is the superior comedy in my opinion however I tired of Carrie's constant aggressive behaviour, but ELR did certainly have its moments too. I rather like both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Is there a secret 3rd option of a slow painful death? I didn't like either of them but the one good thing out of both of them was Jerry Stiller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭lertsnim

King of Queens is awful. One fat joke followed by another. We get it you're both fat haha

lertsnim wrote: »
    King of Queens is awful. One fat joke followed by another. We get it you're both fat haha

Disagree about it being centred on fat jokes, it was an occasion prop. Of course unless you think the Simpsons also was just fat joke followed by fat joke, then by your standards both shows over utilised fat jokes for comedic value.

I had the misfortune of being subjected to an episode of Mike and Molly, now that was a rubbish show based on too fat characters and every joke was related to their weight, painful attempt at humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Be grateful it was only one episode! Some comedy on tv the gulf between American humour and what we would find entertaining is very apparent, like Mike and Molly. I find her appallingly unfunny, Melissa McCarthy. Her sole appeal seems to be being overweight.

Had the sheer misfortune of catching "Meet The Browns" while working in the US for a time, makes Mike and Molly look like comic genius, and the laugh track on it was infuriating. I think laugh tracks in general can be pretty abysmal. There's a Friends episode minus the laugh track on YouTube somewhere and it is an eye opener!

Be grateful it was only one episode! Some comedy on tv the gulf between American humour and what we would find entertaining is very apparent, like Mike and Molly. I find her appallingly unfunny, Melissa McCarthy. Her sole appeal seems to be being overweight.

Had the sheer misfortune of catching "Meet The Browns" while working in the US for a time, makes Mike and Molly look like comic genius, and the laugh track on it was infuriating. I think laugh tracks in general can be pretty abysmal. There's a Friends episode minus the laugh track on YouTube somewhere and it is an eye opener!

Agreed the over bearing canned laughter is used now for every joke, used to be normal laughter and then the real belly laughter used only for the large jokes. Normal laughter now used for everything even slightly amusing.
    Think some shows claim to use only best laughter recording for that take, but they could say that and no way to prove anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I love King Of Queens. I was gonna start a thread asking why is that absolute dross The Big Bang Theory considered a great comedy, and KOQ always gets ignored. .. Second only to Fraiser for me.

ELR is one of those sitcoms that I would consider American funny. One of those shows which doesn't really travel. Romano's voice is annoying as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

lertsnim wrote: »

BOTH fat? There was only one fat person the last time I watched it. Have you even seen the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I LOVE King of Queens - I just love Doug :)

To be fair it isn't going to go down as one of the great comedies but I loved it. Pit it isn't comedy channel anymore. Don't think any channel is showing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

BOTH fat? There was only one fat person the last time I watched it. Have you even seen the show?

Douglas is but Carrie? Nope so shutty. :p
    Good fat jokes in it. Fatty McButterpants & Captain Neckfat are great lines. Arthur is great even if he is just Frank Costanza.
    Lost its way at the end & I hated the Richie character from the early seasons.
    Some great episodes like when Doug & Carrie are borrowing money off Arthur, Doug training to be an American football player, when Doug loses his job & the one with the wedding photo with the top hat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Actually anyone know a legitimate, free website where you can stream episodes of King of Queens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Going against the grain here somewhat but I thought Everybody Loves Raymond was very funny. I found the character of Ray hard to like, and his mother Marie at times was insufferable, but Debra was a great female character (plus very easy on the eyes), while Frank and Robert were the standout characters I thought.

King of Queens was pretty funny at times but I felt it lacked a bit of warmth to it. I felt Arthur was the best character in the show.

Of the two, I would rather watch Everybody Loves Raymond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I didn't like ELR when it was first out.. I think I was too young, recently started watching it on channel 4 and it is pretty enjoyable... I think it is more relatable to me now that I am older, married and have a child.

KOQ is a pretty good second tier comedy too... The Arthur and Spence friendship was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

The King of Queens, jerry Stiller makes the show,was very good in Seinfeld too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72,895 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Add a poll, OP :)

For me, it's 'Everybody Loves Raymond' every time - the chemistry between Robert and Ray is brilliant (Robert can't wait to stick the boot in when something goes wrong in Ray's life, Ray coming back with a put-down gag), the way Debra can't seem to do anything right in Marie's eyes, the way Marie has complete control over Robert, Ray and Frank.

With ELR, it's all about the delivery of the lines (the timing and the pauses in between), whereas for me 'The King Of Queens' is too 'fast-paced' in the gag delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Going against the grain here somewhat but I thought Everybody Loves Raymond was very funny. I found the character of Ray hard to like, and his mother Marie at times was insufferable, but Debra was a great female character (plus very easy on the eyes), while Frank and Robert were the standout characters I thought.

King of Queens was pretty funny at times but I felt it lacked a bit of warmth to it. I felt Arthur was the best character in the show.

Of the two, I would rather watch Everybody Loves Raymond.

There's a bit in Everybody loves Raymond where Ray and his father, played by the great Peter Boyle (who played Wizard in Taxi Driver) subtly re-enact the Taxi Driver advice/counselling scene between Wizard and Travis.

Everybody Loves Raymond comes across as just another sitcom but it has a very dry, smart humour. Always liked it.

King Of Queens is a good show as well (i like Kevin James in it).

Advertisement