Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress Code

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

There are many benefits for wearing a uniform.

I don't think the wearing of a uniform has anything to do with oppressing freedom of thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 KeyCode

There are many benefits for wearing a uniform.

I don't think the wearing of a uniform has anything to do with oppressing freedom of thought!

There are a few schools of thought on it. Not everyone would agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭2011abc

mariaalice wrote: »
    But does anyone not see the connection to how you esteem your profession, its not about wearing suits and ties which is a bit old fashioned, smart causal covers it really. There was a comment on a thread about bullying about being taught by some teaches who did't hide the contempt they had for their job and how that atmosphere and milieu contribution to the type of school it is.

A hospital consultant could wear anything they like come to work in jean but they don't why is that.

How can you expect to state with any credibility that all hospital consultants do not wear jeans ?These darn 'dress code Nazis ' are the worst , seriously ?!Wear whatever you want and let others do the same .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 KeyCode

2011abc wrote: »
    How can you expect to state with any credibility that all hospital consultants do not wear jeans ?These darn 'dress code Nazis ' are the worst , seriously ?!Wear whatever you want and let others do the same .

Hospital consultants actually wear all sorts of crazy outfits in my experience of them. I don't think for hygiene reasons hospital doctors should be wearing anything other than some kind of scrubs. I've seen everything from a party dress to a three piece suit and handkerchief!!

Unlike teaching, that is a job that has a genuine need for certain dress codes and it really should be entirely about avoiding being infection in/out of hospitals or between patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

KeyCode wrote: »
    Hospital consultants actually wear all sorts of crazy outfits in my experience of them. I don't think for hygiene reasons hospital doctors should be wearing anything other than some kind of scrubs. I've seen everything from a party dress to a three piece suit and handkerchief!!

Unlike teaching, that is a job that has a genuine need for certain dress codes and it really should be entirely about avoiding being infection in/out of hospitals or between patients.

I am talking about when you go for a consultation not when they are preforming a medical procedure, Obviously some individuals feel oppressed by being asked to dress smart casual, fair enough it might be a generation issue, I would not be a fan of pupils calling teacher by their first name either but its common in ET schools and they get on fine with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

just picked up a few hours in one of the larger Insts of Technology

Trying to sort out work clothes
    - this smart casual is making no sense to me.

Some chinos I see around the place dont look that great (maybe just cheap brands) and I dont think look that professional (personal opinion I know)

Some guys wearing them look, I think, like they are trying to hard!!

Is sticking on a suit just not easier???

There doesn't seem to be a dress code - it goes from guys in engineering wearing faded black t-shirts to some of the law guys that do the 3 piece with no tie.
    For me I think both look better than the trying too hard chinos, semi casual shirt group - but I haven't a clue about fashion!

What do you think works best for college teachers/lecturers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

frankz wrote: »
    just picked up a few hours in one of the larger Insts of Technology

Trying to sort out work clothes
    - this smart casual is making no sense to me.

Some chinos I see around the place dont look that great (maybe just cheap brands) and I dont think look that professional (personal opinion I know)

Some guys wearing them look, I think, like they are trying to hard!!

Is sticking on a suit just not easier???

There doesn't seem to be a dress code - it goes from guys in engineering wearing faded black t-shirts to some of the law guys that do the 3 piece with no tie.
    For me I think both look better than the trying too hard chinos, semi casual shirt group - but I haven't a clue about fashion!

What do you think works best for college teachers/lecturers ?

As you can probably gather here, everyone has their personal preferences!
    If I was unsure I'd do a little recon around the dept I'm supposed to work in.
    Invariably though I'm a suit-trousers and formal boring shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    As you can probably gather here, everyone has their personal preferences!
    If I was unsure I'd do a little recon around the dept I'm supposed to work in.
    Invariably though I'm a suit-trousers and formal boring shirt!

Thanks.
    Kinda going with similar - even tho wearing the jacket as well, partly to keep warm!! :-)

Is the smart casual a lot of work? Particularly if your not into fashion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

KeyCode wrote: »
    I

I think it's kind of unreasonable to expect staff to dress like bankers, or more likely in Ireland : nuns.

Dress like Nuns? Seems like you've been away from Ireland for the last 40 years.

Advertisement