Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange story of Czech hiker spending 30 days in Lake McKenzie hut, NZ

Options
  • 26-08-2016 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭

The Guardian
    BBC

Pavlina Pizova and Ondrej Petr got lost in bad conditions on the Routeburn track, NZ. Petr slipped in a steep ice slope and died, Ms Pizova told reporters. She said that she spent the night with his body before moving on to find shelter at the Lake McKenzie Warden's hut. She stayed in the hut for almost a month. There she found food, firewood and supplies. There was also a mountain radio but Pižova was unable to understand the English instructions for operating it.

No search was launched initially as the couple had neither registered their hike with authorities nor were carrying emergency locator beacons. Rescuers were alerted after Czech Consul Vladka Kennett spotted "a random Facebook post" by concerned relatives of Ms Pizova at home in the Czech Republic. After being alerted to the Facebook post, police found the couple's car, apparently parked for some time at one end of their route, and used a search helicopter to help locate Ms Pizova. The Routeburn track usually takes a few days to complete.

Local police Insp Olaf Jensen said it was "very unusual for someone to be missing in the New Zealand bush for such a long period without it being reported. He also said: "I appreciate there are a number of unanswered questions, however, until we can piece together exactly what has happened we are unable to say anything further."

Very strange indeed. One would have to wonder if a radio could not be got to work within 30 days, even without any training or instructions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

My first reaction when I read the story was to wonder why she didn't use the radio. Also the authorities there make regular radio callouts to the huts to take roll call and reports etc. Certainly in the summer season. Its all very very strange.

I also find it difficult to believe that no one at all passed on this well used track in the last month. Even if its mid winter. http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/fiordland/places/fiordland-national-park/things-to-do/huts/lake-mackenzie-hut/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

fits wrote: »
    My first reaction when I read the story was to wonder why she didn't use the radio. Also the authorities there make regular radio callouts to the huts to take roll call and reports etc. Certainly in the summer season. Its all very very strange.

It's winter there in July, you could do the Routeburn without seeing a soul that time of year(and dodge paying for the huts which I presume was their plan). I did it myself in June and there was only 3 other people on the track at the time, the snow falls were late the year I did it though so I had none to contend with. I'm sure it's a much more serious undertaking with snow but McKenzie hut is below the tree line from what I remember and if she wasn't injured it shouldn't have been too much of an undertaking to get to the higway from there. Presumably she had already been over the saddle considering the trouble they ran into. All very strange.

As you say a whole month without anyone passing seems odd even with snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are a lot of unanswered questions indeed, but don't forget she also lost her partner in tragic circumstances. Stuff like that can mess with your mind, especially if you're all alone and isolated, and she may not have been thinking clearly.

More detail in this report.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11700554

Im sure the DOC have to deal with worse. We booked into a 3 person hut when we were there. Arrived to find two chinese fellas, in jeans, converse and leather jackets (and no food and water or sleeping bags) had decided to bunk down there for the night without paying. cue the four of us sleeping in the three person hut and us sharing our food. A horrible storm came during the night and temperatures plummeted, they were freezing. Gobshiites.

• Advertisement
Advertisement