Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toe pain after switch to Road SPDs

Options
  • 26-08-2016 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Recently just switched from MTB SPD pedals and shoes to road SPD SLs... I've tried to set up cleat position as similar as may be possible but on a 60km spin last night I had some pain in my right big toe...does my cleat need to be moved back a little maybe? No pain in left foot at all.

I had adjusted the latch on the shoes a few times during the cycle to try and sort the problem but couldn't get it right...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

After I switched from SPD to SL I had a bit of knee pain on longer rides. It was a case of tweeking the cleat a bit here and there till it was in the right position.

Bring an allen key out with you so you can tweak it while out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Watch that. I had that on road cycling shoes that were a little too small then the two big toe nails got bruised and came away fron my toe. Sold them for a bigger pair. Both shimano shoes. Did you get new shoes when you changed your cleats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I cycled out to Ringsend, and then over to Sandycove today. On the way back, a couple of my toes went numb; I put it down to my saddle's attacks on my tender parts. Odd, though. I was wearing Ecco sandals, not cycling shoes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    then the two big toe nails got bruised and came away fron my toe. Sold them for a bigger pair.
    i never knew there was a market in toenails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - what colour cleats did you get? Shimano and Look cleats come in three colours depending on the degree of lateral movement provided. You may have got the 'fixed' ones which have no 'give'. I don't use Shimano but I think the yellow ones give most movement.

Advertisement