Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car engine light

• 26-08-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I recently purchased a car from a friend. I went with him to the mechanics to get it serviced then up to the NCT and it passed perfectly then I bought it. About a week later and the engine light has came on (amber). I phoned the mechanic and he told me it's nothing to be worried about it happens all the time bring it up to him and he'll knock the light off with his computer. Does anyone know if this is normal procedure? or should I be worried something isn't right?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

happens a lot, could be a sensor , Mechanic can switch light off with a diagnostic tool, however it may come back on soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 The_Taxman

Should I be worried if it comes back on froggy? At what point would the mechanic check if something is wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Whats the make,model,engine of the car ?

General rule is.

Amber light: ok to drive on but get it checked ASAP
    Red light: Stop and don't drive it any further.

Get the mechanic to check the fault code stored in the car and ask him what it was. Sometimes a code or light can't be cleared until the reason the light came on is rectififed. Sometimes it might be an intermitment fault and it can be cleared but may return again in a matter of hours, days,weeks.

Ask the mechanic to talk you through the process, fault code and problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The light comes on to say there's a fault in the engine, it can be reset every single day if you like but will come back each time the fault repeats. Has your mechanic previously hooked up a fault reader and knows what the fault is, if they havn't I would look for another mechanic as the fault could literally be anything and driving the car could risk damaging the engine.

VW GOLF 2005 1.4

Thanks tossy I'll make sure he talks me through it. If it was something serious would it of shown up in the NCT? Or is it possible to unluckily get faulty a week later?

• Advertisement

Its had to determine the cause, might be a faulty sensor. A mechanic would usually switch of the engine light with the diagnostic tool , then you drive it for a while and if it comes back on , bring it back to mechanic and he can check it again and it might show the fault code on the diagnostics..... its the process of elimination. Ive had a few cars and at one stage or another the engine light came on and 9/10 it was a faulty sensor. The only time it was the engine it turned out to be the egr valve and the mechanic did the process I just mentioned.

Ok cheers I'll defo have the fault code looked at today then, seems to be best option. Would that take him long?

The_Taxman wrote: »
    VW GOLF 2005 1.4

Thanks tossy I'll make sure he talks me through it. If it was something serious would it of shown up in the NCT? Or is it possible to unluckily get faulty a week later?

It's enitrely possible to get unlucky - it's happened to us all. The NCT Is a basic roadworthyness test, it shouldn't be taken for granted that a car with an in date NCT is free from faults.

Where are you based ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

VW GOLF 2005 1.4

Google "VW check engine light".
    It's an internet stock joke.

You should probably invest in a cheap code reader/clearer.

A diagnostic should cost about 20-30euro and takes only a few minutes.

• Advertisement

Google "VW check engine light".
    It's an internet stock joke.

You should probably invest in a cheap code reader/clearer.

Don't google that, it's a joke the poster obviously won't get and the resulting google searches will only fuel their worry more.

Haha I won't google it so, I'm based in Tallaght - first car so a bit dodgy.

Haha I won't google it so, I'm based in Tallaght - first car so a bit dodgy.

I am in Kildare, i could scan it for you and at least see what the code is and arm yourself with a bit of knowledge but it will probably be tomorrow before i am free. If you don't get sorted today send me a PM.

Tossy - Jesus that's great nice one I'll get on to you if it's not sorted today. Thanks again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

My daughter bought an 06 golf V. The engine light was on when they first saw it and the dealer said he would sort it. So, they collected the car with no engine light. 3 days later the light returned. They brought it back, the light was cleared off and they were told everything will be fine now as a lambda sensor had been replaced. A week later and the light was back on again.

They took it to the family mechanic and he read the codes. The nox sensor seemed to be the problem. A new sensor was costed at STG350 (UK). So they went back to the dealer. Four days later they were told that the nox sensor was replaced. A week later, guess what? Yeah, light back on. They took the car back and demanded a refund.

The moral of the story was that between engine management problems and rusty wings, don't buy a MkV golf.

Sorry not much help I'm afraid, but a warning to others.

Falcon L wrote: »
    Sorry not much help.

You said it :D Pointless post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

tossy wrote: »
    Falcon L wrote: »
    Sorry not much help.

You said it :D Pointless post.
    So you didn't see the last few words then?

Well that clears that up then........ haha

Advertisement