Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non dairy protein shake that doesn't taste like sh*t

• 26-08-2016 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Hey everyone,
    Looking for some advice on non dairy protein shakes to supplement my diet, that don't taste like sh*t... I know there are a few different kinds.. hemp/ pea/ vegan etc.. but most of them don't have sample sachets, and I don't want to spend x amount on a shake and it to end up being lumpy, hard to mix or just taste crap!
    Any advice is appreciated :)

Comments

The snickers flavour beef protein mixed ok but there's some serious aftertaste
    Tastes fine while actually drinking it though
    That's the only one I've tried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Raw fusion is pretty decent. Or soy isolate from myprotein is tasty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Johnny The Fox

Carnivor Beef Protein is nice enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    Looking for some advice on non dairy protein shakes to supplement my diet, that don't taste like sh*t... I know there are a few different kinds.. hemp/ pea/ vegan etc.. but most of them don't have sample sachets, and I don't want to spend x amount on a shake and it to end up being lumpy, hard to mix or just taste crap!
    Any advice is appreciated :)

Are you allergic to dairy? Going for only non-dairy protein shakes really does limit your options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Are you allergic to dairy? Going for only non-dairy protein shakes really does limit your options.

Yep... not extremely allergic, but enough to trigger a response when I take it in :-( (I love meat too much to be vegetarian not to mind vegan ;-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

you should check out Sun Warrior Classic plus (or their warrior blend) it is raw,vegan blend of a number of different plant based proteins and comes in choc, vanilla and unflavoured. you can pick this up from HP nutrition.

Also, VEGA is really nice but pricey, again its vegan, non GMO and their blend contains a number of different plant based protein sources. VEGA can be hard to get in Ireland, i order through iherb. They actually have a sample pack there at the moment for under a 10er which includes a couple of their products, also i think they sell the sample packs individually also.

Garden of life is another plant based protein- i find it less mixable than the others I've mentioned.

Also - Myprotein do a vegan blend in choc smooth flavour. Taste is ok - but as its my protein is super cheap - you could always buy a bottle of their flavourings to add to it if it bothered you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

[font=arial, sans-serif]Apparently whey protein isolate is suitable for lactose intolerant. Assuming it's the lactose you react to. SOmeone who is lactose intolerant might be able to comment....[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Apparently whey protein isolate is suitable for lactose intolerant. Assuming it's the lactose you react to. SOmeone who is lactose intolerant might be able to comment....[/font]

Its actually milk fat I have the problem with, skimmed milk is fine but anything above that, I get really flushed and one side of my face gets painfully red and my eyes get really scratchy. I tried a whey protein isolate before and I can't remember but I'm pretty sure it didn't agree with me, but that was just one type..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Whey will taste the best.

Of the others maybe pea but it will be a taste trade off.

Beef is a tub I reckon you'd have for a while - it's just not something you would rush to drink imo.

A good whey isolate should be very low in fat but also quite expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The Bulkpowders 97% isolate has only 0.3g of fat per 100g - might be worth chancing a small serving of?

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/pure-whey-isolate-97.html

• Advertisement

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Beef is a tub I reckon you'd have for a while - it's just not something you would rush to drink imo.
    Yep.. I ordered 2 sample sachets of one.. and couldn't even bring myself to drink it! Stink of it! :O:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Yep.. I ordered 2 sample sachets of one.. and couldn't even bring myself to drink it! Stink of it! :O:P

I've had the same experience - I'll gladly suffer with some actual steak instead!:D

Advertisement