Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Home - Extortionate Cancellation Fee or Ridiculous New Contract

Options
  • 26-08-2016 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Hi Eir, 

I just today contacted you moving home department as i am soon due to leave my rented accommodation as my landlord needs the house for his family. 
    When i rang the department i was told i will need a new contract at a minimum of 18months or pay an early cancellation fee of nearly €1000. 

When i signed up to this contract i was told i could easily move house and take my service with me but i was not told a new contract would be required. 
    I am now stuck in the position of having to pay nearly €1000 or take a new 18 month contract. 

If i have to move house at the end of my new 1 year lease what will happen then? A new 18 month contact or another extortionate early cancellation fee? Is there any option of a 12 month contract for new users (i was told i will be considered new as i have a new address). 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Hi Eir, 

I just today contacted you moving home department as i am soon due to leave my rented accommodation as my landlord needs the house for his family. 
    When i rang the department i was told i will need a new contract at a minimum of 18months or pay an early cancellation fee of nearly €1000. 

When i signed up to this contract i was told i could easily move house and take my service with me but i was not told a new contract would be required. 
    I am now stuck in the position of having to pay nearly €1000 or take a new 18 month contract. 

If i have to move house at the end of my new 1 year lease what will happen then? A new 18 month contact or another extortionate early cancellation fee? Is there any option of a 12 month contract for new users (i was told i will be considered new as i have a new address). 
    Hi Hasmunch,

Thanks for getting in touch.
    This is correct, there are two options available to you if you wish to move home.

1. If you do not wish to avail of  our service you can cancel your account however in this case you would be charged an early cancellation fee.
    2. Move your service to your new home, a new contact would be required in this case as you would need to open a new account for your new address.

The minimum contract length would be 18 months. 

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

OP

Just sign up to Virgin at your new home.... Their services are much better. It's Eir loss if you move and they won't change your address with your existing contract LIKE VIRGIN DO.....

Or better still get your UAN and move to virgin now and then inform them your moving home

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hi Pamela, 

So if i take a new 18 month contract to my new address and i need to move after 12 months what options will i be left with then?

Thanks Reddevilfan, i wish i had known about Virgin and Eir policies before i went with Eir. I will look into Virgin ASAP. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hi Pamela, 

So if i take a new 18 month contract to my new address and i need to move after 12 months what options will i be left with then?

Thanks Reddevilfan, i wish i had known about Virgin and Eir policies before i went with Eir. I will look into Virgin ASAP. 
    You can pay the early cessation fee or move your contract to a new address Hasmunch.

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hi Pamela, 

You can pay the early cessation fee or move your contract to a new address Hasmunch.

-Pamela 
    Why cant i take my current contract to my new address now so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Eir sent out letters recently putting loads of people's bills up, so that legally gave people a 30 day window of opportunity to cancel their contracts free of charge and move to a better supplier.

Did you receive any such letter Hasmunch?  If you did then you can cancel for free.  

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi Pamela, 

-Pamela 
    Why cant i take my current contract to my new address now so?
    New address = install fees = renewal. In theory you should be able to pay €150 to drop the contract but its not offered.

Advertisement