Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Plan Joke!

Options
  • 26-08-2016 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭

Coveneys housing plan is beyond a joke! I luckily managed to secure a property last year, rent locked until September 2017 I believe. I moved to a house, having lived in apartments for years, expensive, but rubbish build quality apartments. You know yourself, a nice E1600-1700 a month for two bed, with stud partitions between the properties, really top quality stuff!

Last year when searching for property, to get out of the hell hole apartment, properties were going up on daft and if you werent checking every half hour minimum, you were missing properties, as they were going up and coming down nearly immediately, as the landlord would be inundated with calls.

Several times I would see an ad, less than half an hour old. Call the landlord, sorry I already have 5 people viewing, if there is another one, I will let you know...

It seems if you dont qualify for social housing, good luck to you! A third world transport system in dublin, building heights caps that would make provincial cities in other countries blush and the cost of building, particularly apartments, need to be addressed.

The plan is re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic. We have a crisis and the city councillors are actually proposing lower building heights in a crisis, from what they were during the last few years, where the rental market had collapsed, around 2010, 2011 etc...

This plan is nothing but a joke, the demand is so much greater than supply and this will continue, in fact I expect it to increase, the mickey mouse changes Coveney has in mind, is a drop in the ocean and he actually thinks it will sort the issue out. I'll have the calendar at the ready, counting down the days till we have a stable rental sector :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Richard Curran summed it up pretty well last week:
    The problem with trying to solve the housing crisis in Ireland is the Government wants to do it without inconveniencing or alienating any particular group. You cannot make an omelette without cracking a few eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

I sympathise OP but at a budget of €1700 you could get a house out in the burbs with excellent transport into the City. People want to live in very select areas and that is going to result in high demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Not to worry, did ya not hear the news during the week?

They're gonna fix the LACK OF SUPPLY PROBLEM BY getting rid of the Central Bank limits in order to INCREASE THE DEMAND

:(

also: homeless is on the rise from what I gather based on hearing the vaguest mentions on the news

It's also worrying to notice all those central bank staff who joined to fix the country up a few years back... like all leaving or starting to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I thought the central bank was meant to be independent?! That has to be a joke?

Slydice wrote: »
    Not to worry, did ya not hear the news during the week?

They're gonna fix the LACK OF SUPPLY PROBLEM BY getting rid of the Central Bank limits in order to INCREASE THE DEMAND

Any link to this?

I had a quick google with no luck, I'm sure I'm just being thick. Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Any link to this?

I had a quick google with no luck, I'm sure I'm just being thick. Thanks in advance!

this weeks culprits were the PIBA responding to the daft.ie rents report showing us reaching higher rents than during the property bubble
    395445.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note A reminder to stick to accommodation and Property issues, political mud slinging does not belong on this forum.

The professional insurance brokers association. Well they sure as hell aren't a vested interest! You couldn't make it up, oh wait, were in Ireland, you don't need too!

The biggest favour the central bank can do, is don't budge. Force the government to address costs. Not simply allow us plebs to hang ourselves with more debt which is exactly what they want. The bank warm another nice wedge from it too, along with insurance brokers. More property taxes etc, great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If only people understood that the Government is the sole biggest beneficiary from high rents (55% tax), and that they actively want high rents (as evidenced by their policies ).

But there are still plenty of stupid lefties who blame it all on evil landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

The government wants high rents? Why? So that the government is forced to pay hundreds of millions in rent supplement? Or to pay for hotel accommodation for people who can no longer afford to rent? Your statement makes no sense.

• Advertisement

While I don't wish to stray off-topic the government's involvement in this is more through sheer incompetence but the higher rents have a nice side effect of generating tax. To respond to Cosmo's comment, it's only recently that rent allowances in all it's various forms have been meeting rents. So on the one hand revenue was being generated and on the other people were being given impossible to meet targets on rent to qualify. The policy thus far seems to have been to drive up prices to encourage building, rather than, you know do some actual governing and reduce building costs. That said there is no one solution to this issue.

Moving back to the CB rules I'm glad to see there is no plan to change them, just the usual idiot-press not addressing the actual issues. If the limits were removed it would help one one but those looking to sell. A one bed apartment in D8 would cost you 350K and without the benefit of trackers this time around. The repayments on that would be roughly the average Dublin CC rent. The one area of contention is the deposit requirements, this was always meant to be addressed by the government bringing in a scheme whereby people could borrow part of the deposit shifting risk. Lo and behold, it never materialised.

This issue is inseparable from the political side. It needs to be addressed at the ballot box, but one thing successive governments have been absolutely flawless at is harnessing the Irish sense of begrudgery to get the stakeholders in this arguing amongst themselves rather than dealing with the issue. It's been quite masterful actually.

Good post kings. But there is no party to vote for who actually proposed genuinely sorting out the mess. There is no competition here if that is the word. FF and FG mainly propose the exact same things... We thought we needed change in the immediate post boom aftermath, it is needed now more than ever! Anyone who thinks those in power want change or will bring about major change are out of their minds! Look at the quality of the candidates who run and hence who are elected... This country isn't capable of running itself...

Here's an idea. Ban independents. So many complain about FG FF etc they could never join them. Let them start their own parties... Bloody hurlers on the ditch!

It's a case of voting overwhelmingly for independants.While I don't agree with what's happened in the UK, in fact it's idiotic for the most part; a proper protest vote needs to happen here during a general election. Perhaps we'll not be a stupid to do it on a referendum though!

That said it's mainly about demanding more from the press here, and starting to hold the government to account. The standard of journalism in this country is absolutely shocking.

I don't agree about independents. They may be the solution in offering alternative parties. But on their own they are a waste of space! Ok scenario, currently the government say. Look lads hard workers, wasters, well throw you all a few cent come budget time. Now imagine another party proposes dealing with this issue, between reduced housing cost and by extension loan interest, they could be saving you thousands a year!

I just wish someone would put the people ahead of their own greedy interests. And I don't mean economic illiterates like sf...

I agree 100% on the press here even Irish times etc. Their journalists knowledge on most subjects is beyond a joke. It beggars belief they can make a living from it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not the the politics forum. No more warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Has their been some news released on the housing plan during the week?

Advertisement