Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star cluster name required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

26-08-16 03-30hrs boxed.jpg

Can anyone tell me the name of the boxed star cluster, thanks.

I would hazard a guess and say The Plaeides also know as the Seven Sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

That's the Pleiades (Messier 45) in Taurus alright. Viewing the image on a phone screen but it looks like the glow of the Moon just off the lower left of the frame. If it is, then the shot was maybe early a.m. on Friday? I looked out the window @ 4:15am and could see the Moon just above Orion ... a lovely sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Silent Shrill

jfSDAS wrote: »
    That's the Pleiades (Messier 45) in Taurus alright. Viewing the image on a phone screen but it looks like the glow of the Moon just off the lower left of the frame. If it is, then the shot was maybe early a.m. on Friday? I looked out the window @ 4:15am and could see the Moon just above Orion ... a lovely sight.

Yes, 3.30 Friday morning. It is indeed the moon at lower left in the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Is it also called the Small Plough?

No knowledge of astronomy but I do enjoy the odd occasion when I am in a dark place on a clear night.... reminds me of walking home late a night as teenager. Live in a city now so don't see the night sky much.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Hi,

The Pleiades do look like a miniature version of The Plough. A nice sketch by graphic artist Jeremy Perez is at http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000629.html where he drew the group as seen with the unaided eye.

The Small Plough, or Little Bear (Little Dipper in the US), is the constellation Ursa Minor whose brightest star is Polaris, the Pole Star. Hover your mouse over the image at http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070108.html to see the outline of The Plough and Ursa Minor.

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement