Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrangea, knotweed or something else?

Options
  • 26-08-2016 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a couple of very large plants growing up around my birches. I don't think they are Japanese Knotweed and my dad reckons they are Hydrangeas.

Just wondering can anyone put an ID on them?

Haven't seen a flower on them and I've been here since early June.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭seamusmacc

not sure its a hydrangea as hydrangeas comes with toothed leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

The good news is that it doesn't look like knotweed - doesn't have the zig-zag leaf.

http://beacon-bollin.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Japanese-Knotweed-Identification-Photos-Sheet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

I think it might be Dogwood?

Edit to add: Cornus species

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Bit of a new development since I took those pics. These flowers appeared in the last few days. Only one or two though.
    *EDIT* Looks like Dogwood alright! Cheers BaaLamb!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Roen wrote: »
    Bit of a new development since I took those pics. These flowers appeared in the last few days. Only one or two though.
    *EDIT* Looks like Dogwood alright! Cheers BaaLamb!

It is the venation in the leaves that is quite distinctive of Cornus. Now which species of Cornus!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement