Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow fresh water fishing - father and son

Options
  • 26-08-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    I'm just back home from a few days in Battlebridge beside Leitrim village.

I've an 8 year old (addicted to minecraft, clash of clans, etc on his tablet) Keen to get the young lad outdoors I dug out my old fishing rod and mitchell reel and brought it with me on the trip.

With my reluctant first time fishing partner we found a few worms and did some float fishing. He caught a perch and then a kind passing angler gave us a few maggots and he then caught a small roach. We spent 4 hours fishing and he got quite a few bites. He loved it, which to be honest really surprised me.

So my question is , is there anywhere in Wicklow we could do some float fishing? A slow moving river where we can float fish with worms or spin with a small lure. (I'll have to give him some casting lessons)

I read a little on the forum and I unserstand folk won't be keen on publically telling me where to go but perhaps someone would be kind enough to PM me a location. Also, we have no intention whatsoever in keeping the fish, a quick photo and back they'll go. Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I see people coarse fishing on the Grand canal most times I cycle down that way. The stretch leading up to Hazelhatch is near town and quite scenic and can be walked to from here or here. You often see anglers at the pub, combining the two pursuits of fishing and drinking quite admirably, been tempted myself. Was chatting to a chap at Glenasmole the other day, but apparently that is fly fishing only and needs membership of the local angling club, same with Roundwood reservoirs AFAIK. Don't know what the story is with Blessington.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

You can spin and do a bit of float fishing in blessington reservoir, I believe it's 15 for a day coarse permit (pike, perch roach etc.) and another 15 for a days trout permit. The lake is stocked with rainbows so there's a chance of catching a fairly sizeable fish.

Otherwise you could try annamoe trout fishery bait pond, it's a family friendly pond in a trout fishery near Glendalough. That's where I caught my first fish when I was young, not sure about the prices but I don't think they're too bad. I would recommend it.

If that doesn't interest you could try fishing one of the wicklow rivers for trout, such as the aughrim or the avoca. Think you need permits for those as well.

€15 a day for a permit for a child to go fishing????

There is something very wrong with that. Fishing should be open to under 16s to encourage them into the sport.

OP I know you said fresh water but would taking yourselves down to a local pier with light tackle and target mini/small species be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Small advice, careful about trespassing and only fish in areas you know are public. With the cost of PL insurance nowadays owners are getting peed off big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

blessinton is only a 5er for the day.. or i think its 20e for the year...youd want some local knowledge before u go, having blank or 2 can put a child off going next time. try oaklands in new ross its full of carp. 10e for the day and kids go free.. my young lad loved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

TheTorment wrote: »
    15 a day for a permit for a child to go fishing????

There is something very wrong with that. Fishing should be open to under 16s to encourage them into the sport.

Sorry it's a fiver as Kildare lad said

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

Best bet is to ask in the local tackle store local knowledge and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

TheTorment wrote: »
    €15 a day for a permit for a child to go fishing????

OP I know you said fresh water but would taking yourselves down to a local pier with light tackle and target mini/small species be an option?

its 5 quid but even so, stocking and maintenance of fisheries isnt free. 15 quid for a day out fishing is well worth it.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    its 5 quid but even so, stocking and maintenance of fisheries isnt free. 15 quid for a day out fishing is well worth it.

I understand that but €15 for a child to go fishing is a bit much in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

What part of Wicklow are you in ? Do you have transport ?

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

uch wrote: »
    What part of Wicklow are you in ? Do you have transport ?

Yes. Have a car. I'm in Greystones. I've no problem with driving a decent distance.

I will ask the guys in Viking tackle bray. They may have some suggestions. Blessington lakes seems like a good bet. Thank you for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If you were prepared to drive to Carlow town you would almost be guaranteed some good fishing, lots of Dace, Roach, Bream and the odd tench, and you can park on the bank and fish 10 yards from the car

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Silversun

There's a place in maynooth called meadow lodge, I haven't been there myself but I hear theyre quite good, they have a course lake with roach and small carp etc..
    Not sure on prices but your sure to catch and It'l keep yous both interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

I was in the same position, looking for a place to bring the kids fishing. I tried the national disability lake in aughrim without any joy. The guys in Viking put me onto the Lyreen angling centre in maynooth and that was excellent. It took a while to find it but we caught a few tench and perch. They have bait too. I think it was a tenner for the swim for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

There is a place on the run in to Enniskerry from the South (I think), never been to it or know what fish they have but saw the signs a few times cycling by

Advertisement