Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US OPEN 2016 (Read 1st Post)

• 26-08-2016 5:02pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As we often see a lot of new names appear during Grand Slams I'm going to remind everyone of a few basic rules.

1 - NO ACCUSING PLAYER X, Y OR Z OF BEING DOPERS PER BOARDS POLICY.

2 - COULD SERENA PLAY ON THE ATP? IT'S BEEN ARGUED IN NEARLY EVERY THREAD FOR YEARS. NO MORE.

3 - RAFA V ROGER V NOVAK, WHO IS THE GREATEST. ALSO DONE TO DEATH.

IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS ANY OF THESE THINGS DURING THE US OPEN PLEASE TAKE THEM TO ANOTHER PART OF BOARDS.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Well done to Laura Robson, into the main draw of a slam for the first time since the Australian Open 2014 :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ryan Harrison's younger brother has qualified too. Has had about 8 surgeries over the past 2 years, terrible time by all accounts. Would be nice to see him have a decent run.

Heard about him too, crazy how he could be so injured at such a young age. He probably has a greater chance of progressing than Ryan has tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

mens draw is pretty open if you assume that djokovic has a dinky wrist and murray could be shagged out. Djokovic having a possible (in-form) cilic in QF and nadal in SF isn't straightforward..but if he makes the QF he will have played himself into some form like has done in successful tournaments lately.

murray doesn't seem to have much to worry about until the final...

I think Djokovic needs this one if he is to get past 14 slams overall, loose early and Murray has a reasonable chance of powering on and taking the number one position before the end of the year.

cane seen anyone else making much of an impression (del potro still getting used to life back on the circuit, nadal who knows, stan on vacation for the past few months, none of the 'young guns' have shown much lately...)

mens tennis looking rather flat at the moment if you look at it that way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I think Nadal has been using that hair in a spray can stuff that David Gest used. His routine before serve is tiresome. 12 - 15 bounces of the ball, pluck shorts out arse crack, fix tshirt, rub nose, rub left ear, rub nose, rub right ear.

• Advertisement

Moment of applause for Sabine Lisicki who has now fallen out of the top 100 after her loss to Putintseva :pac: Still she's not defending anything for the rest of the year so I'm sure she'll claw her way back in somehow.

The super talented Naomi Osaka has taken out Vandeweghe, she has a decent draw too, so it'll be interesting to see what she can do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Is it only on Eurosport? Thought Sky showed this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

paulie21 wrote: »
    Is it only on Eurosport? Thought Sky showed this?

Sky Sports got rid of it. Probably not as popular as other sports they have but I liked their coverage; the red button came in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No heat policy for the men, but there is for the women, and it is not even equal pay for equal work.

The heat was being discussed on Eurosport.

Benoit Paire turned up to his press conference after winning his game with a beer in his hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This guy Janowicz has an absolute beast of a forehand ,its Del Potro like.

RobertKK wrote: »
    No heat policy for the men, but there is for the women, and it is not even equal pay for equal work.

The heat was being discussed on Eurosport.

Ugh, again with this.

The women have a heat break rule because the WTA asked for one. The men don't have it because the ATP have not asked for it. If they implemented it on their own tour the ITF would have it at the Slams for them too. It's as simple as that. They don't have it because they don't want it.

Ugh, again with this.

The women have a heat break rule because the WTA asked for one. The men don't have it because the ATP have not asked for it. If they implemented it on their own tour the ITF would have it at the Slams for them too. It's as simple as that. They don't have it because they don't want it.

Ok but would you agree that having to play up to five sets compared to the women's three sets but for the same pay means the men in theory are paid less?
    If this happened to women and they had to do more than the men for same pay it would be an issue.

Djokovic last night didn't look at his best but got the win. Even started to sing some Phil Collins who did a concert before his game.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Ok but would you agree that having to play up to five sets compared to the women's three sets but for the same pay means the men in theory are paid less?
    If this happened to women and they had to do more than the men for same pay it would be an issue.

1 - Women have offered to play Bo5 at Slams.
    2 - Men have not asked to play Bo3 at slams.
    3 - Everyone playing Bo5 would make scheduling impossible, so if men still want to take issue with it they should be the ones to demand they play less.

Not to mention the men don't play 5 sets all the time. Possible for a man to reach the Final having only played 3 sets per match AND for a woman to reach the final also playing 3 sets per match. Then how do you pay them? Man loses R1 match in 0-6 0-6 0-6 over 1hr 20, should he get paid more than a woman who loses R1 match 5-7, 5-7, 5-7 over 3 hours.

I knew I would miss something out in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I knew I would miss something out in the first post.

:)

the matter is possibly best argued under income generated for the tour, but really if you were to do that over the past 10 years you would probably just give Federer 75.6% of all income, regardless of whether he won or not, and split up the rest between the mens and womens...

agreed though, this topic should have its own thread

djokovic looking thoroughly disinterested at the moment, for whatever reason..

lostcat wrote: »
    :)

the matter is possibly best argued under income generated for the tour, but really if you were to do that over the past 10 years you would probably just give Federer 75.6% of all income, regardless of whether he won or not, and split up the rest between the mens and womens...

agreed though, this topic should have its own thread

The money generated argument falls apart as quickly as the number of sets one though. Four or five men at the top probably bring in more money than the rest of the ATP tour combined. So how do you work out how much money the guy ranked 134 gets compared to the woman ranked the same? Should he get more money than her on the basis that Federer and Djokovic generate more money than Serena and Kerber?

But yes, been discussed before, to death almost.

lostcat wrote: »
    djokovic looking thoroughly disinterested at the moment, for whatever reason..

Looks like he's checked out. Wouldn't be surprised if he loses early. So many rumours flying about his slump. He's probably just burnt out imo.

Heather Watson lost to Hogenkamp. She was suffering from fever and pains throughout the match. She said afterwards they were the same symptoms she had when dealing with glandular fever. Hopefully it's just a bug or something....would be such bad luck if she got a second bout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Djokovic was sulky all the way through his match. he doesnt look right. Shaking off his wrist regularly after serving between 75-90mph first serves!

Wawrinka looked good yesterday apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Something wrong with Djokovic for sure, more to it then injury/tired - I think he has personal issues atm.

Hope DelPo can make a good stab at this tournament.

• Advertisement

Interesting to see Raonic go out to Harrison in R2. He skipped Rio saying he felt he needed the time to prepare for New York and something about how he felt he was closer than ever to winning a slam. Seems he was wrong.

Interesting to see Raonic go out to Harrison in R2. He skipped Rio saying he felt he needed the time to prepare for New York and something about how he felt he was closer than ever to winning a slam. Seems he was wrong.

Indeed, he's got no excuses seemingly.

I don't even have the words to describe that performance from Muguruza last night, just beyond awful. I mean, I can accept that players have bad days at the office, but I can't accept them behaving and acting like they don't want to be there and don't give a a sh*t. At one point she just started slotting the ball into play hoping to draw an error from Sevastova. Just woeful. So a very weird year at the slams for Garbine, she beat the world's best player to win RG, but flopped at the other three, posting losses to Strycova, Cepelova and Sevastova along the way. Hmm.

Konta's match was another weird one. Basically collapsed on court from heat stroke or something, was covered in ice and treated for about 20 minutes, then allowed to continue playing and then she wins the bloody match!

I never have sympathy for a player who can't finish off a clearly injured/ill player but I thought Konta being allowed to continue playing yesterday was a bit of a joke.

Him and McEnroe have also split, very strange - he was only coaching him since Wimbledon.

Him and McEnroe have also split, very strange - he was only coaching him since Wimbledon.

I think McEnroe was only ever on board as an "adviser". Seems to be a lot of that going on though, players hiring former players based solely on the fact that they are former players and then getting rid of them again shortly after.

I watched the second set of the Raonic match last night and he seemed to have an injury to be fair. He was hobbling on his left ankle for the last 4/5 games of the second set

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I watched the second set of the Raonic match last night and he seemed to have an injury to be fair. He was hobbling on his left ankle for the last 4/5 games of the second set

He said he was cramping from stress, whatever that means?

I don't even have the words to describe that performance from Muguruza last night, just beyond awful. I mean, I can accept that players have bad days at the office, but I can't accept them behaving and acting like they don't want to be there and don't give a a sh*t. At one point she just started slotting the ball into play hoping to draw an error from Sevastova. Just woeful. So a very weird year at the slams for Garbine, she beat the world's best player to win RG, but flopped at the other three, posting losses to Strycova, Cepelova and Sevastova along the way. Hmm.

Jon Wertheim called her last 6 GS results "downright Kvitovian." Since the French Open 2015 she's gone F/2r/3r/W/2r/3r. Definitely some Petra similarities there.

I think Garbine and Petra are two players that can win multiple Slams (5+ imo) but can't seem to string the results together for whatever reason.

Can happen .. it's horrible.

• Advertisement

I couldve sworn he went over on his ankle or something. Did he say that right after the match? If so sounds like something he had in his head before he went onto the court

Advertisement