Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US OPEN 2016 (Read 1st Post)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Joe Willy Tsonga will be a tough one for Nole, if he gets passed him I'll have real belief he can win this USO...

Tsonga will choke. Novak easy to finals IMO. And likely to win. Murray should have a tough few rounds way draw has shaped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thiem retires with an injury, Delpo through to the QFs. Nice bit of luck for him. Shame for Thiem though.

Delpo will play Wawrinka in the quarters, that could be a cracker.
    There will be lots of winners in that match, one for the purists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Should be booed of court after that performance Dimitrov, showed no heart whatsoever, shambolic effort.

Murray will be pleased as he played well, but Kei who is in good form and then stan or JDP and Novak in the final will be much more difficult.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Should be booed of court after that performance Dimitrov, showed no heart whatsoever, shambolic effort.

Murray will be pleased as he played well, but Kei who is in good form and then stan or JDP and Novak in the final will be much more difficult.

Five games. Wow. At least he was graceful in defeat though
    https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/772977296407953413

:pac:

Oh wow, Ana Konjuh is amazing. Completely outclasses Aga, easy power and great skills at the net too. 18 years old and will rise at least forty places in the rankings to #52. Great shot at a semi-final berth!

• Advertisement

Five games. Wow. At least he was graceful in defeat though
    https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/772977296407953413

:pac:

He is somewhat right though, he was absolutely ****ing awful. Surprised the crowd didn't turn on him that much. The most depressing part of the match was Murray seemed more upset when he lost a game than Dimitrov did all match.

No heart whatsoever from Grigor.

Oh wow, Ana Konjuh is amazing. Completely outclasses Aga, easy power and great skills at the net too. 18 years old and will rise at least forty places in the rankings to #52. Great shot at a semi-final berth!

Aye, fair play, would have beaten Aggie at Wimbledon if she had not broke down, so really pleased she avenged that loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Murray looking good, I know Dmitrov was a bit demotivated but still, he is looking good for this .

Hope not.

Caro seeking to emulate that dragging of Errani two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

Any news on whether Monfils is expected to last the whole match or if he'll retire early due to injury?

Are there more injury withdrawls in this US Open than a normal GS event?
    Do the Olympics add to the normal seasonal load on the players?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Djokovic has played something like 6 hours of tennis to get to the SF. Don't know if anyone has asked his opinion on equal prize money yet this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

^ ah here, this should have been on the banned topic list too,
    but as a matter of interest, how much time has serena sppnt on court so far? doesnt seem to be easy to dig up the stats..

Djokovic spent longer playing the final of the AO open in 2012 than he has here so far..

lostcat wrote: »
    ^ ah here, this should have been on the banned topic list too,
    but as a matter of interest, how much time has serena sppnt on court so far? doesnt seem to be easy to dig up the stats..

Djokovic spent longer playing the final of the AO open in 2012 than he has here so far..

Yeah, I wasn't bringing it up to start the conversation/argument again. I was actually wondering if anyone had brought it up with him. Journalists are usually pretty quick to raise the question when Serena gets a couple of easy 6-0 6-1 wins or when Djokovic and Nadal take 7 hours to grind out a result. Have they been as quick to raise it this time? I don't know, I haven't been paying much attention to any off court stuff.

For what it's worth...

Serena has spent 4hr 13 mins on court so far, but is only at the QF stage.

Kerber has spent 5hr 44 mins getting to the SF.

Monfils has spent 9hr 51 getting to the same point as Djokovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Anyone giving Halep a chance against Serena later? Both are playing great tennis so could be a good one!

Refresh my memory....does Kerber have to go one better than Serena to become #1 or what's the story? Bet she's wishing points were still on offer at the Olympics!!

Would love to see Delpo win later!! SF in his second slam back would be a fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

RosyLily wrote: »
    Anyone giving Halep a chance against Serena later? Both are playing great tennis so could be a good one!

Refresh my memory....does Kerber have to go one better than Serena to become #1 or what's the story? Bet she's wishing points were still on offer at the Olympics!!

Serena is on the way down for me. Not the player she was a couple of years ago in terms of speed and movement. What she has, of course, is That Serve (the best ever woman's serve, no doubt), her battering ground strokes and her absolute determination and will to win. She seems to intimidate so many of the women players that they are beaten before they enter the court! Going to have 3 tough matches to win the US Open, however, and I have a feeling her shoulder injury will catch up with her in the end.

Regarding world #1: Serena has to get to the final to retain #1 rank and, if Kerber gets to the final, Serena then has to win to retain #1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

After a great start from Murray this is an awful performance

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Murray in serious bother now. Some fantastic shots from Nishikori!

Murray is being an awful whinge here. I know he's always whinging to himself but this seems something special.

Its very poor this from Murray, totally dropped his level in the third set which was pretty erratic after the first set.

Murray is being an awful whinge here. I know he's always whinging to himself but this seems something special.

As a Murray fan it's right now I can see why people seem to dislike him, relentless negativity all night from him

• Advertisement

Some serious stubbornness from Murray to break back there so strongly!

Some serious stubbornness from Murray to break back there so strongly!

....and then there's that :pac:

As a Murray fan it's right now I can see why people seem to dislike him, relentless negativity all night from him

Aye overall think he is a good egg, but tonight his constant moaning and on court behaviour pretty hard to defend.

Aye overall think he is a good egg, but tonight his constant moaning and on court behaviour pretty hard to defend.

And hugely damaging to his game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Great match here between Nishikori + Murray ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I cant watch the guy anymore ,he is simply painful to watch .
    Horrible on court manner .
    I dont know how his opponents arent tempted to tell him to stfu.

Dire that from Kei at 40-0 up in the 8th game.

Will be hilarious to see the reaction of Murray if Kei breaks him back:D

Dire that from Kei at 40-0 up in the 8th game.

Will be hilarious to see the reaction of Murray if Kei breaks him back:D

I think I'd trash my Mac ... ;)

Regardless of the outcome here tonight you're seeing why Murray will never be one of the very best, can't put setbacks behind him and gets into crazy funks which it takes him way too long to get out of, on comms they mentioned an incident with a feather in the oz open, I remember it well, Murray was beating nadal and a feather floated down while he was serving, I think he won about 5 more games...

• Advertisement

Right Kei serve it out.

Advertisement