Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US OPEN 2016 (Read 1st Post)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

This mightn't last too long....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Why was the Williams match on first considering she and Pliskova played last night and alot of the crowd weren't in for the start of it.
    It seems terrible scheduling.

It seemed somewhat odd aye, Williams is the draw of the night for the US audience and normally you'd expect that would mean she would get the last match. Odd.

Happy for Pliskova, she was clutch when needed, but Serena looked leggy tonight despite some rare moments of awesome Serena.

Hopefully we get a good final though, both finalists are very likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Maybe the scheduling had something to do with the NFL starting again last night at 1.30. Maybe they thought that the casual viewer would rather tune into that if given the choice.

Then again maybe im talking rubbish

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Well that didn't take long. Pathetic :rolleyes:

Speaking of....

Cr4lHWVUIAQUJsE.jpg
    Cr4lHWdUAAAHcct.jpg
    Cr4lHW2UIAILPaz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Williams didnt look right from early on in the match ,her footwork was very poor and she was moving around very slowly .
    She did injure her leg slightly last night so she wasnt 100%.

Hard to tell how much of her loss was down to injury and how much was mental though .

Ive seen her act very sluggishly in the past when fit ,the nerves seem to be getting the better of her .

Amazing to say, considering she won Wimbledon a couple of months ago, but Serena is coming to the end of the line, in my opinion. Arrived with a shoulder injury and left with a knee injury. 35 this month and has a LOT of miles on the clock - won US Open in the last MILLENIUM!! Her power game (like Nadal and unlike Federer) does not lend itself to longevity, in fact it's surprising (to me) that she has lasted so long and so well. Her serve and will to win have been huge factors in that.

Could possibly win one (or even two) more Grand Slams, to take the record on her own from Steffi but I certainly expect to see her drop down the rankings next year and could conceivably retire at the end of next year.

Yes, I understand that I could have a huge amount of egg all over my face by this time next year, but I doubt it.

• Advertisement

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Amazing to say, considering she won Wimbledon a couple of months ago, but Serena is coming to the end of the line, in my opinion. Arrived with a shoulder injury and left with a knee injury. 35 this month and has a LOT of miles on the clock - won US Open in the last MILLENIUM!! Her power game (like Nadal and unlike Federer) does not lend itself to longevity, in fact it's surprising (to me) that she has lasted so long and so well. Her serve and will to win have been huge factors in that.
    [/SIZE]

But her power has very much lent itself to her longetivity. Until 1 day ago she was number 1 and fav for the US despite being 35

Pliskova has a better serve than pretty much anyone bar Serena on the WTA. That's usually where people fall down against Serena. She holds easily and wears them out on their own serve. She didn't get the chance last night and she does seen to have some sort of injury niggle.
    I wouldn't write her off yet. She's probably have battled through against most other opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Serena has been on the tour over 20 years, injuries were bound to become more frequent. I reckon she'll reduce her schedule next year and save herself for the Slams. She seems like a Federer-type....playing tennis because she loves it, not just to win every tournament she enters.

Laura Siegemund and Mate Pavic beat Coco Vandeweghe and Rajeev Ram 6-4, 6-4 to win the Mixed Doubles title. Their first tournament together as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Disgusting tactics from Monfils, this style of pushing does not belong in the semi finals of a grand slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

what tomfoolery is this?

• Advertisement

This match is absurd, Monfils no effort in the first 2 sets and now bossing it in the 3rd:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rjd2 wrote: »
    This match is absurd, Monfils no effort in the first 2 sets and now bossing it in the 3rd:pac:

Haven't seen any of the match so far, but a shame to hear if this is the case. I thought he was supposed to have left this behind him this year.

What an awful semi final for a GS. And an awful advertisment for mens tennis

bizarre stuff form both men, hard to know what was going on for most of that. It was 'incredibly humid; and whatnot but still...

djokovic has made the final with an average service speed throughout the tournament more often seen on the WTA... ok, ok he didn't actually have to serve that often....

whomever wins the second semi will be fancying their chances based on that

lostcat wrote: »
    bizarre stuff form both men, hard to know what was going on for most of that. It was 'incredibly humid; and whatnot but still...

djokovic has made the final with an average service speed throughout the tournament more often seen on the WTA... ok, ok he didn't actually have to serve that often....

whomever wins the second semi will be fancying their chances based on that

Djokovic is in the final without having gotten out of 2nd gear yet. Nishikori and Warwinka could/will have a gruelling 4/5 setter tonight. It is all set up for Djoko but he is certainly not playing well. The sign of a champion is that they rise to the occasion and Djoko is definitely a champion so I expect him to win the final.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    But her power has very much lent itself to her longetivity. Until 1 day ago she was number 1 and fav for the US despite being 35

Correct, but when a power player starts picking up injuries, it is much harder for them to come back as good as before - the end tends to come quickly at that stage. Hence my previous post re Serena.
    Disgusting tactics from Monfils, this style of pushing does not belong in the semi finals of a grand slam.
    He had never beaten Djokovic in 12 previous matches, so taking the pace off the ball was a perfectly legitimate tactic to try, in my opinion.

He's a bit of an enigma, Monfils. Superb all-round game (that forehand!) but always seems to find a way to lose the big matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/eurosport_uk/status/774368828914491393

Missed first semifinal.

Supporting Nishikori in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Have seen very little of this US Open. What are Stan's chances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

walshb wrote: »
    Have seen very little of this US Open. What's Stan's chances?

Not too bad. He's been tested more than Djokovic which could help him. Then again he could run out of steam in the final. I hope we get the Wawrinka from the FO and Aussie finals......he was so impressive then.

I'd love to see Stan win it!! 3 quarters the way to a career Grand Slam!:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finding this match difficult to call. Kerber is the favourite and should win, but she's lost two big finals recently that she should have won, so far more pressure on her. All in all I'll go for Kerber in three sets... but who knows.

• Advertisement

That was a good final.

Special year for Kerber. Hopefully Pliskova can stay at her current level/improve and win a grand slam sometime.

Kerber will be a popular winner.
    Women's tennis is in a good place right now, it has Serena but now people who can challenge her.
    The Aussie open will be so good.

All 4 women's finals at slams this year have been really good quality, I think? A pretty good year for the WTA. Serena matching Graf's record, two new Slam winners and a double for Kerber, Puig winning the Olympics. Lots of good stuff happening.

Yeah still got the final left, but for this Slam definitely enjoyed the women's side more than the men's. The Del Potro run was lovely, but a lot of let downs.

Pleased for Kerber, very likeable, women's side very open next year.

hard to call the mens final, based purely on not knowing what kind of djokovic is playing here..if he shows up he should win, if he is a bit off, stan wont be overly shy about taking control of proceedings

the tournament really needs a good, high quality final.

it will be interesting to see who the crowd will be supporting, they were pretty disgraceful last year and with the roof possible closed, it could turn into a circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I think Stan can get in Djokovic's head and win this, I don't know why Djokovic is so desperate to be loved, he should just feed off the hate and make himself stronger from it.

This bring the love crap is cringey.

I really want Nole to win, but if he doesn't - well at least Stan will have 3 slams and the BBC can stop dismissing him when talking of the "big 4" ..

:o

I think Stan can get in Djokovic's head and win this, I don't know why Djokovic is so desperate to be loved, he should just feed off the hate and make himself stronger from it.

This bring the love crap is cringey.

I was thinking the same earlier when I realised it's 9/11 today. He had a FDNY hat the last time they coincided.

Supporting Novak, but think this will be some battle, hard to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

Always nice to get an early break, but it's unlikely to be the last one this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Stan on fire!

• Advertisement

Was there a rain delay or something? I started watching a film just before this started, was expecting it to be over by now.

Advertisement