Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenyard, The Liberties, where?

Options
  • 26-08-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Can anybody tell me where the green yard was in the Liberties,,What street was it near any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Moved to a new thread for better answers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Somewhere in/off Pimlico, I think.

*edit
    I've seen in mentioned in death notices and in a report on a foot and mouth outbreak in 1941.

I can't find any maps detailed enough to show it, but the City Council might have one, or upstairs in Pearse Street library.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kears

Thanks for the info my father was born there in 1929 he died in feb this year 2016,and was a great Oul Dubliner with plenty of stories.i am trying to find out as much info as i can,was in touch with the Archive office and they seem to think it was around John's Ave., Poole St., Allingham St., and Braithwaite St that general area there was so many yards back then and sadly all gone.

Also Looking for Any Photos of Kearns Butchers Parnell st Dublin from the 70's/early 80's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Kears wrote: »
    Thanks for the info my father was born there in 1929 he died in feb this year 2016,and was a great Oul Dubliner with plenty of stories.i am trying to find out as much info as i can,was in touch with the Archive office and they seem to think it was around John's Ave., Poole St., Allingham St., and Braithwaite St that general area there was so many yards back then and sadly all gone.

It'd probably be the sort of thing if you went into one of the oul' lad type pubs around there, you'd find someone who remembered exactly where it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Kears wrote: »
    Also Looking for Any Photos of Kearns Butchers Parnell st Dublin from the 70's/early 80's.

I'd suggest to try the library. They've put a lot of picture archives online and easy to access. Might take a while, although the NLI one is good in that it has date filters.

Dublin City Public Library - http://www.dublincity.ie/library-galleries1/162
    The commercial dublin gallery might be the best place to start.

National Library of Ireland - http://www.nli.ie/en/catalogues-and-databases-digital-photographs.aspx

Thanks for the advice i like it..greeat excuse for a lovely pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,969 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lovely Map here courtesy of SDCC

http://sdublincoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e0c5595b033341dea7661e248d2e9ee9

you can select layer list on the left pane and choose maps from as far back as 1760. Some maps dont cover all of Dublin.

but might give you some clues.

There is a G. Yard on Hanbury Lane off Thomas Court in the 1938 Map.

Nice site. Easier to use imo than the OSI one.

I think that G.Yard is a grave yard at the back of the Church, but there's a whole clatter of yards off most of those streets.

Thanks Listermint Great Maps Will do a Bit more Detecting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

spurious wrote: »
    I think that G.Yard is a grave yard at the back of the Church
    It sure is on other maps.

Advertisement