Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earnings

Options
  • 26-08-2016 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All.
    My daughter is in her first job! She still lives at home. How much should I expect her to pay me for her upkeep. What she gives me will be for her rent electricity heating groceries etc, Should I take a percentage from her or what?
    I'm interested in hearing from you and your opinions. .

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod

Moved from work and jobs, new charter applies

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

My opinion - min. €50, max. €100 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

If she were renting she'd probably be paying at least €400 p.m. in rent plus all utilities. So do you want to be realistic or do you just want to draw her attention (nicely) to what she has got free up to now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is she in college and working part time or is it a full time job?

Also do you need the money to allow you manage the household finances?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Depends where you live and how much your daughter is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

20-30% of take home. We've recently had to answer the 'I'm going away for two weeks. Do I still have to pay?' question.

Deal is, if she can convince the bank to let us off the mortgage for the two weeks of our holiday, she doesn't have to pay while she's away.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

How old is your daughter? Is it a full time job or just part time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

The way it was done with me was a clever idea.... 1 third to the parents, 1 third to credit union and 1 third for me. Sure I didn't have to pay for anything apart from New runners or stuff I wanted for me!
    Also meant a nice wedge for college or a car (in my case a couple of weeks in spain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

endacl wrote:
    20-30% of take home. We've recently had to answer the 'I'm going away for two weeks. Do I still have to pay?' question.

Deal is, if she can convince the bank to let us off the mortgage for the two weeks of our holiday, she doesn't have to pay while she's away.[/QUOTE]

So, if she's not working those two weeks, does she have a take home pay for those two weeks? (Curious if she's part time or if she's getting paid annual leave from a more permanent job)

My parents used to take 25% of my take home pay up to a maximum of 80 euro while I was working full time for summers off school and college. However I was being paid 6.35eur an hour, min wage at the time, so it rarely exceeded take home of 320 anyway!

They didn't need the money, they just wanted to teach me to pay my way and learn money management, valuable lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Deal is, if she can convince the bank to let us off the mortgage for the two weeks of our holiday, she doesn't have to pay while she's away.

So, if she's not working those two weeks, does she have a take home pay for those two weeks? (Curious if she's part time or if she's getting paid annual leave from a more permanent job)

My parents used to take 25% of my take home pay up to a maximum of 80 euro while I was working full time for summers off school and college. However I was being paid 6.35eur an hour, min wage at the time, so it rarely exceeded take home of 320 anyway!

They didn't need the money, they just wanted to teach me to pay my way and learn money management, valuable lessons.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter if she's not paid those two weeks. She has to get used to budgeting. If she can pay for a holiday she can pay her bills.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on so many things .
    Do you need it ?
    Is she in college ?
    Are you saving it for her ?
    Is it to stop her wasting it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Emily Bronte

Stheno wrote: »
    Is she in college and working part time or is it a full time job?

Also do you need the money to allow you manage the household finances?

She's in full time work and yes I do need the money. I still want her to have money for herself for clothes, makeup and going out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It depends largely on how much she is earning, and how much you need. Also consider things like: how useful she is around the house, if she buys any of the household food herself etc. I wouldn't take too much, as it would probably encourage her to jump ship and move out (unless you want this!) ie, living at home would usually be cheaper than renting a room, so don't make it dearer!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Mine don't live at home but this is something i have observed, as well as a small amount each week/month have them contribute to every household bill that come in gas electricity bins household tax broadband ect, plus if they have a car they do the recycling every so often.

The reason for this is it more reflective of real life, and it an incentive to behave differently

when someone is paying a set amount, there is no incentive to use resources wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Emily Bronte

Thank you for your advice.

Advertisement