Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems getting a job

Options
  • 26-08-2016 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Right so I wasnt exactly sure which thread to put this in, but since its a workish problem and the way I see it in my head it is a work problem I decided to put it here. If this is wrong couldnt someone either tell me how to move it or move it to the right thread for me. Thanks.

Right so some context I need a job, problem is I live in Leitrim a county with no jobs. The only jobs I can find are ALL the way down in dublin. I have zero money on a week to week basis. The Dole pays me 100 euro regardless of where I live. I have no other way to get money. I have no family or friends in Dublin that I can stay with. I have a security license but at present will do anything for money.

Does anyone know a way for me to afford getting a job, is it worth it. How much money would I need to stay up in Dublin for a few weeks until I get a job and my paychecks start to come in.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

What's your experience, qualifications? What have you done since you started on the dole, course or experience gained?

I hear it tramped out every time, only jobs in Dublin. I'm in rural Donegal and there are jobs for those that have a willingness to learn and shows initiative in seeking employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Thousands of people have security licenses. Anyone can pick one up easy enough. Even in dub, theres lads only working the door at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BeardedNomad

Experience roughly 4 years on and off Security mostly in events. I havent been continuously on the dole for more than six months at a time. I have Security Studies Fetac 5 course done, Security Operations and Administrations FETAC 6 course done, I have a seperate door license course which i am waiting results for now thats FETAC 4. I have self defense and resistance training and training, but no license, for the english security license that I got in scotland.

About the no jobs thing. There are really no jobs here. Ten were on fas and I applied for all of them maybe ten times each. I have also looked elsewhere really seems to me that the only jobs are in Dublin.

Also I'm 21. 22 in November.

My biggest problem is getting the money for the first two or three weeks of a job. That would include hostel, bus fare, food, ancillary expenses like uniform or buses/taxes around Dublin personal hygiene products. I worked it out from experience staying in Dublin with the hugely expensive hostels, I reckon it will take about 500 to 1000 euro to get started.

Because I am under twenty five and the dole hates anyone that is young and wants to show iniative I only get paid 100 euro a week. REGARDLESS of where I live. Many people think I would get paid more in Dublin, I have asked and I won't.

Thanks again. Anything else you need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You have had the the opportunity of 14 years of education, what you make of it is your decision. No one here can give you a job. Take what your qualifications can get and if you can't get it, do something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Could you apply for a loan with the credit union maybe? That could be a solution and they are usually pretty flexible with fairly minimal repayments

• Advertisement

Davo its not that im lookingfor a job. Im pretty confident I could get one in Dublin. Its more the affording to get a job up there.

Also a goo dpoint abou teducation is that 14 years of school really only prepares you to be good at school :D

Red that's actually a pretty good idea that I never thought of. Exactly why I put up this thread. I'll have to look into that. Thanks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

There's not much of a future in security, especially since anyone can do a few days training and get some certs. You'd be better off signing onto a springboard course and going from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Davo its not that im lookingfor a job. Im pretty confident I could get one in Dublin. Its more the affording to get a job up there.

Also a goo dpoint abou teducation is that 14 years of school really only prepares you to be good at school :D

Red that's actually a pretty good idea that I never thought of. Exactly why I put up this thread. I'll have to look into that. Thanks. :D

School gives you a stepping board to the future. If you can't get a job doing what you want to do where you want to do it, you take what you can get if you want a job/money. You need a good kick up the arse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

davo10 wrote: »
    School gives you a stepping board to the future. If you can't get a job doing what you want to do where you want to do it, you take what you can get if you want a job/money. You need a good kick up the arse.

Mod, the OP is looking for advice and nothing in their posts deserves your response.

Please respect the charter.

Ya I know everyone I know is getting a Security License and the market has become very over saturated. I'm hoping to do a history course in a few years not looking to make a career out of security. Frankly though I will work as anything right now for the money. Hahaha..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Ya I know everyone I know is getting a Security License and the market has become very over saturated. I'm hoping to do a history course in a few years not looking to make a career out of security. Frankly though I will work as anything right now for the money. Hahaha..

A history degree is unlikely to land you any better job prospects. Think more like IT, Engineering, Economics, etc. Technical degrees where there is demand.

Best of luck in your current search.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hi Beardednomad,
    Jobs are still hard to come by. They say things are the best they've been since before the recession. But still hard to get work imo.

Lets think about this realistically. Getting a job in Dublin and you'll have to tough it out for a while as rent is insane here. Be it in a hostel or travelling the crazy distance everyday. Unless you get a loan.

Sadly mate there really isn't an easy solution to your problem as you say you don't have any family you can crash with up here.

Ya I know about the history Im hoping to become a history professor at some point. So yano,z unrealistic expectations. :D

Hi B.A awesome name. And ya I've noticed that jobs are still pretty scarce. Maybe if were lucky all the english companies will move over here so that their still in the EU. :D

No matter what I was planning on staying in a hostel for a while. I done it before for a five day job. The hostel cost me over a hundred quid an the buss from where I live was 30 euro return. Not fantastic but if I could do it again just for the Work I would. That was three years ago. I looked over hostel prices last week and WOW, nearly 180 for 5 days. When did everything become so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Dublin is a rip off compared to other parts of Ireland. It's mad.

But regarding your situation Min-wage is 9:15 per hour. So 366 euro before tax. Minus your 180 for a hostel and 30 for return bus fare.
    That leaves 156 and that's before food and saving to get yourself out of a hostel. It'll be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Hey OP, apply for factory jobs/ General operative work; they're generally great workplaces compared to service jobs in my experience. Look up recruiters and apply to all of them. They wont advertise specific jobs because they get a stack of CV and basically work through them one by one. Galway might be a much better option for you, there is a cheaper rent than dublin and there are a bunch of multinationals there. Work is fairly easy, low barrier to entry and pay will be anywhere from 4-700 euro a week depending.
    electronics, pharmacuticals, med device.. all much the same, all good.

I saved enough working through a few temp contracts to get back to college and got a fine career.

Ya that's sort of the thing on my mind now, would it be worth going up to Dublin only to have to crawl back home when I failed with a half grand down the drain.

Galway might be a good option. I'll look into that too. I have a few friends over there who like it. I'll have a look on Jobs ireland. Would that be where to look for Factory work. Generally I just apply to every job whether Im qualified or not. Hoping they might take me on for another position or something. :D
    Definitely look into the factories though great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Why not set set up your own security business. The BTWEA would give you the full dole, there is a grant to buy some basics and get things going and you keep the welfare payment even if you earn. For 2 years.

To set up your own security company you need to get a contractor's license and all the paperwork and everything set up proper. I have a friend who tried. The license itself would cost him 1000 euro but all the other things he needed to pay for and get for it would cost nearly 5000 after the grants that he got. (Im not sure what grants he got.) Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It probably won't work, but if you could get a job lined up, your current local community welfare officer may be able to help you with some getting started money. As unlikely as that is, they definitely won't give you money to just head to Dublin without anything lined up.

Whatever you do, avoid using any of those "pay day" loan places. Anything with an APR in the thousands should set off major alarm bells.

It may not be pleasant, but if you could put up with a hostel dormitory in Dublin for a month, those are "only" about €12-€15 a night.
    Food is up to yourself - if you'll cook for yourself in the hostel you needn't spend a fortune on food. Picking up a latte in a coffee shop every day will quickly add up.
    You'll need money for travel, or a bike. If you already own a bike, bring it with you. Otherwise a Leap card initially is useful.

Do you have a driving license? Any other skills besides security?
    Have you looked at the free elearning courses that you can do from home?

Moving to Dublin with nothing more than a vague hope of getting 2-3 nights a week door work would be insanity. How's your typing/general office skills? Can you sign up with a temping agency at home in the short term and pick up temping work to help you build up some savings? You can go "part time" on the dole, so if you only get 2 days work this week, you can still claim the dole for the other 4 days.

• Advertisement

Thoie I never knew about hte free Ecourses. Do they give recognized awards? Im going to look into them now. If I moved up Id hope to get 2 or 3 nights on the door an maybe weekdays as a retail officer. or shop attendants. I think that I will need two jobs to afford up there.

Thanks Saipanne I will look into those factory jobs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Depends on which course you do, but yes, some of them do. For those ones you'd have to sit an exam in an authorised exam center, but worth it.

The PMBOK (Project Management one) gives you a credit towards overall PM certification, but there's a lot more work you'd need to do before getting the cert.

i was looking at the computer ones. The names of them are confusing :D Thanks for that never knew about that.
    Ya i would imagine the exams are worth it, where are the exam centers located like in intero offices or county council buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Team up with people in your area who are in the same boat as you are, and look for solutions. You might find something in your local area in this way. If that fails, I think that relocating to Dublin is not really a good option.

I live in Dublin myself and it is far too expensive. I am moving out of a small studio apartment, and the price of it may rise to over 650 Euro per month.

If you are looking to relocate, consider Galway as a first choice or Cork as a second choice. Cork is actually getting more competitive these days, with respect to both work and accommodation.

the area i live is so small that i think there is only about five or ten other twenty year olds in the place and most are farmers who dont want to move.

Damn that is a lot of money. How oes anyone afford to live up there. I'll definitely look into Galway. Cork is something like 6 hours away on two or three buses. Seems like a great idea but i'd need to have more money saved for it I think. Thanks for the suggestion... Good luck looking for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

the area i live is so small that i think there is only about five or ten other twenty year olds in the place and most are farmers who dont want to move.

Damn that is a lot of money. How oes anyone afford to live up there. I'll definitely look into Galway. Cork is something like 6 hours away on two or three buses. Seems like a great idea but i'd need to have more money saved for it I think. Thanks for the suggestion... Good luck looking for a house.

Do you drive, what about the factories in Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Have you tried looking for jobs in hotels in Leitrim, not necessarily in security, maybe trainee barman I don't know what part you are in but I know Lough Rynn hotel for example employs a fair few.Likewise Landmark in Carrick on shannon Now might be a good time as well because a lot of students who were working for the summer will be returning to college shortly.I think with cost of living in Dublin you would be on the breadline in low paid job.

No I dont drive. Without a job i cant afford a car, in the area I live i cant get a job without a car. Catch 22.

I'll look into the hotels in carrick. Pretty sure I have already applied for all of them. Carrick is about forty minutes away from me. Im in the border with cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

OP what skills do you have? What talents?

I'm thinking in terms of web design, or fixing computers, or carpentry, or something else that you could potentially use to get you a few bob while something more permanent comes along.

Until then, try volunteering locally or in something you're interested in. People always need volunteers and at the events/etc you will meet people who will either be able to give you a stellar reference for the work that you do or may even be able to point you in the right direction after they see your work ethic.

It also looks good on the CV to have filled your unemployment time with something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 chocice94

The likes of Boston Scientific and Medtronic look for "Product Builders" in Galway. Look up ICE Recruitment, they do the hiring for boston, I think all you need is the leaving cert and they just do an interview and aptitude test and you're in! Plus they pay a good bit over minimum age so that might an idea worth exploring. Best of luck :)

Advertisement