Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems getting a job

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BeardedNomad

Dont really have anything like that. Pity I cant find a way to make money from knwing what a Hastati was :D

I have tried all the volunteer shops where I live. Most say they just dont have the work, One said they couldn't afford it (I dont understand that either) Im not lying when I say that most people round where i live have to move away to work. All the talk about the recession being over is a proven lie round here :D

ICE recruitment cool. I'll look that up now. That looks really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Do you have to move to look for work, could you not start applying remotely from where you are now and then go for an interview on the day if and when you get the call?

Having a job set up before you get there and living in a house share has got to be cheaper than rocking up with nothing and living in a miserable hostel eating expensive takeaway food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I was a coach/bus driver for 40 years. Sometimes I worked out of a hotel as a ski bus driver in resorts in the French Alps. I noticed that there were hundreds of hotels in the region and most of the staff were English speakers from Australia, UK and Ireland in their early twenties, doing everything from Pot washing to maintenance to operating the ski hire. They start recruiting about this time of year.

Wages are low, but free transport to the resort, food, accommodation and even a ski pass if you want to learn to ski are included in the deal. You just need to show enthusiasm to get recruited.

All the major ski companies are online and the work lasts till April with many needing holiday reps for summer holidays as well.

Cloudatlas that was actually the plan. I am not even thinking of moving up there without a job. And I would want one before booking the hostel to. What i want is to get a job and then get the hostel. Problem is the week in hand that every single job seems to want to have. Which means I need abou ta week or two worth of money before I go up. Which in Dublin is easily 500 euro.

Nomis. Would you have any of the names of these ski companies that sounds pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Vistamed in Carrick-on-Shannon are recruiting process operators http://www.vistamed.net/careers/ Might be worth having a look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Just google irish ski holidays if you are interested in looking for ski work.

I know it's not easy, but you really also need to use some of your own initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

No jobs in Leitrim, 200 announced yesterday.

OP have you though about what employment there is in the area, do any local employers interest you, what have you done to get one of those jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0829/812577-vistamed-jobs/

try looking in sligo, mayo, cavan,longford, roscommon as well, plenty of jobs out there if you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Szmola

Hey there,

From my experience, e-mailing and online applying for a job is not working much. Especially for young folks with no or little experience.
    I'm in Dublin and can't find a job but think that's because of my attitude and state of mind. So each to their own, but what I saw is that knocking on the door, presenting yourself personally and giving the CV is the best thing to get the job.

All my friends got the job that way or because of friend's recommendation to their bosses. And, they are all working as kitchen porters, waiting staff, car valetors, etc...nothing fancy but it's still big competition for jobs like that. People are coming from bad economic backgrounds from all around the world and are eager to get any kind of job so there must be large amount of decisiveness to fight and do all what's neccessary to get what you want.

Those general operative jobs via agencies are mostly tricky to accept because working shifts are usually beginning or ending when the bus is not driving anymore or the job location is too far away from any bus route.

Dublin is really expensive and many people are sharing apartments (renting just rooms or similar combinations).
    Maybe you could have a deal with your friends in Galway to stay at their place for a about two weeks and than see what's next.
    If you get a job in those two weeks, you could start to search a room in a shared apartments. Google around and see all expenses, calculate a little bit...

p.s.
    Don't forget about a tax when you get a job!

• Advertisement

Hey guys sorry haven't checked this in a few weeks.

In response to the messages.

I have checked every factory, shop, dog kennel and pub (including about a dozen other things that i have thought of) in my local area and most are not hiring. Out of all my friends the only ones I know who have a job were the ones who had the money to move to Dublin.

I have to be honest I feel like there's a lot of negative reaction to me saying I can't get a job in my local area. I'm sorry if that offends some people but honestly there is no work here and I'm not the only one in this boat. Personally I think the job market for under twenty fives with little to know experience (I.e most under 25's) is appalling all over the country but in a county as sparsely populated as Leitrim it seems to me to be worse.

On Longford, Cavan, Carrick etc... the major places I can get to and have looked into, people in longford and Cavan won't hire me because I live to far away (30 minutes is not far but some people don't realize that). Places like Roscommon and Athlone are too far away the town I live in has no bus transport and I cant afford to drive. So buses are essential.

Sorry if I'm ranting.

Anyway all of this is off topic for what I wanted anyway.
    I put up this post to see if anyone knew how much it would roughly cost me to afford a hostel, food, bus fare, and so on for about two weeks until my first job starts paying (Any body else hate doing a week in hand). This is my fault I didnt know how to word the question and kind of buggered it up.

Szmola thanks for the advice (Everyone else too) and yes I find that actually going in helps. Then again i have handed in over a two hundred CVs in the last two months and nothing has come of it so maybe were wrong :). Either way i hope to be able to hand in CV's as well.
    Sadly its all about the money.

About the tax, I worked in a hospital as a Security Special for six months once (Think carer for violent patients) and it was my first job and I didnt know about tax and couldn't understand what was going on with the pay check. That is really something to remember. :)

Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Hey guys sorry haven't checked this in a few weeks.

In response to the messages.

I have checked every factory, shop, dog kennel and pub (including about a dozen other things that i have thought of) in my local area and most are not hiring. Out of all my friends the only ones I know who have a job were the ones who had the money to move to Dublin.

I have to be honest I feel like there's a lot of negative reaction to me saying I can't get a job in my local area. I'm sorry if that offends some people but honestly there is no work here and I'm not the only one in this boat. Personally I think the job market for under twenty fives with little to know experience (I.e most under 25's) is appalling all over the country but in a county as sparsely populated as Leitrim it seems to me to be worse.

On Longford, Cavan, Carrick etc... the major places I can get to and have looked into, people in longford and Cavan won't hire me because I live to far away (30 minutes is not far but some people don't realize that). Places like Roscommon and Athlone are too far away the town I live in has no bus transport and I cant afford to drive. So buses are essential.

Sorry if I'm ranting.

Anyway all of this is off topic for what I wanted anyway.
    I put up this post to see if anyone knew how much it would roughly cost me to afford a hostel, food, bus fare, and so on for about two weeks until my first job starts paying (Any body else hate doing a week in hand). This is my fault I didnt know how to word the question and kind of buggered it up.

Szmola thanks for the advice (Everyone else too) and yes I find that actually going in helps. Then again i have handed in over a two hundred CVs in the last two months and nothing has come of it so maybe were wrong :). Either way i hope to be able to hand in CV's as well.
    Sadly its all about the money.

About the tax, I worked in a hospital as a Security Special for six months once (Think carer for violent patients) and it was my first job and I didnt know about tax and couldn't understand what was going on with the pay check. That is really something to remember. :)

Thanks all.

No, you're right. People don't understand how bad the employment market is in the Northwest. They're just dole bashers, don't heed them. They put down everyone who's unemployed even if the person is desperate for work they still think if you're on the dole you must be lazy. Stick them in a two horse town with no transport and no savings for a deposit to move elsewhere and see how they'd get on.

I'm in the same boat, trying to save up to move to a busier area is hard when you're on the dole, I've started a credit union acct so if I get an offer I can take a loan for relocation.

Hi Clampdown thanks its nice to know someone else is in the same boat. I have a credit union account too. Always worried about taking out loans but it looks like the only way.

Ya when I put this up I was surprised by the reactions. Seems stupid to me to go at someone when their looking for work.

I think one of the biggest problems i have is how little the dole pay. 100 euro a week is nothing to move out on. Hell apartments in carrick are nearly 650 a month, that makes for a 1300 euro deposit, at least.

Where are you looking to move if you dont mind me asking. Have you looked into hostels, transport and the like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Larry SR

Tough situation and I don't envy you.

If I were you I would plan to move to Sligo. More opportunities in terms of jobs (retail, bars, factories etc.), house and flat shares aren't too expensive (in comparison with other parts of the country) and you could look at doing a course with Sligo IT in order to enhance your career prospects.

Can you save anything from your current weekly dole payment? Can you get some help financially from a family member or friend?

Whatever you do, you need to think of something as the months/years go by quickly and you don't want to be in this situation long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Would you apply to join the gardai? Recruitment going on at the moment

Hi Clampdown thanks its nice to know someone else is in the same boat. I have a credit union account too. Always worried about taking out loans but it looks like the only way.

Ya when I put this up I was surprised by the reactions. Seems stupid to me to go at someone when their looking for work.

I think one of the biggest problems i have is how little the dole pay. 100 euro a week is nothing to move out on. Hell apartments in carrick are nearly 650 a month, that makes for a 1300 euro deposit, at least.

Where are you looking to move if you dont mind me asking. Have you looked into hostels, transport and the like?

I am not sure but would be looking to go to Galway, Cork or a decent size town. I've applied for a Webelevate digital design skills course which is 1 year part time online to do while I save up. It's free for jobseekers.

The tricky part other than deposit money is I have a dog I adopted a few years ago when I had full time work. So while my Mum would mind her til I got settled in somewhere I'd eventually need to find a place that allows pets to take her with me.

Another poster suggested Sligo, I lived there for 8 years and had to leave because work dried up and I was unemployed for a year, could not get anything other than Jobbridge. Maybe it's improved a bit but it was dying when I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jn45672

Im sorry if I sound harsh but you need to have more motivation. if theres no work in the north west then its simple.. move out..dont want to go to Dublin? get a loan of 1000 euro hop on a plane to London, Cork, Liverpool, Galway,etc like every other Irish person and get a job there in Construction or bar work. Theres loads of work outside of the North West if you do research on the Internet using initiative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

You'll make a fine History Professor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Clampdown wrote: »
    I am not sure but would be looking to go to Galway, Cork or a decent size town. I've applied for a Webelevate digital design skills course which is 1 year part time online to do while I save up. It's free for jobseekers.

The tricky part other than deposit money is I have a dog I adopted a few years ago when I had full time work. So while my Mum would mind her til I got settled in somewhere I'd eventually need to find a place that allows pets to take her with me.

Another poster suggested Sligo, I lived there for 8 years and had to leave because work dried up and I was unemployed for a year, could not get anything other than Jobbridge. Maybe it's improved a bit but it was dying when I left.

Would you update us on your present situation - I'm hoping things worked for you and that you got a job and got to study History.

jn45672 wrote: »
    Im sorry if I sound harsh but you need to have more motivation. if theres no work in the north west then its simple.. move out..dont want to go to Dublin? get a loan of 1000 euro hop on a plane to London, Cork, Liverpool, Galway,etc like every other Irish person and get a job there in Construction or bar work. Theres loads of work outside of the North West if you do research on the Internet using initiative.

Spoken like someone who hasn't actually been in this situation.

A loan of a 1000 euro is going to set you up in London, Cork, Liverpool or Galway? That might get you a deposit and months worth of rent in Ireland in a house share with very little left for food/commute/other bills and then you have 4 weeks to get sorted. If you think that will set you up in London I wonder what year are you living in? I'm saving in a credit union now because it's the only way to get a loan, you might be surprised to hear the banks aren't throwing money at unemployed people at the moment.

Are you seriously suggesting people should emigrate to London to go work in a bar? Yeah great plan. You'll earn about 7 pound an hour in a dead end job where rents and everything else are astronomical. And I've worked in bars for before and during college. I don't see it as a career opportunity worth emigrating and then starving for, I'm not 21 anymore.

I have a sister who went there as a nurse and she even finds it tough to make ends meet a real times. There's more tax there including council tax that even renters pay.

If only it were so easy to get out of these ruts. My solution would be: allow me to take a years dole in one payment and then I can't qualify for it again for a full year. I'd be gone then. Instead I'm on it two years now barely saving 20 quid a week. The way things are I will ironically only be able to save properly for a relocation, if I find a job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 jn45672

Iv been there but i wont get into that right now. Your right..London is crazy expensive. I was mealry sugessting if you had contacts over there (since theres a huge irish community over there) you could get bar work until you find something else. Depending on your background (which i have no idea of) maybe try find something in Construction labourer/shuttering..theres loads of work there and good money in it. 

Otherwise do an IT course through fas and try your getting yourself into a corporation in Dublin. The IT market is a major industry right now and theres great $$$$ to be earned.

All the best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Clampdown wrote: »

Are you seriously suggesting people should emigrate to London to go work in a bar? Yeah great plan. You'll earn about 7 pound an hour in a dead end job where rents and everything else are astronomical. And I've worked in bars for before and during college. I don't see it as a career opportunity worth emigrating and then starving for, I'm not 21 anymore.
    !

Guessing you did not work in any bars in London and you obviously never seen bars with staff/managers for who it is a profession that pays well. But we'll ignore your ignorance.

For the OP benefit, a large amount of London bars provide accommodation, it's an attractive option for many people moving to London, work in a bar, get to know London. If bar work isn't for you, maybe do some courses, then apply for work in other industries that would support paying your own rent. In the past, I would have had a few interviews lined up before I went over.
    It's been a while since I was over so unsure what websites would be best to look for work, but I would check out the breweries, fullers, Scottish and Newcastle used to have a huge number of bars in London and they would advertise for staff on their own own websites.

Advertisement