Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this please

Options
  • 26-08-2016 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭

Hi. My 6yo has been growing a plant since early May that he brought home from school, apparently it is some sort of bean plant.

Since then it has grown from a couple of inches to over a foot in height.

In the last few days some, what look like broad beans have started to grow. Naturally he is now very excited but I am at a loss about how to continue nurturing it.

Can anyone positively I'd it and perhaps give me some advice to care for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Yes its a broad bean and a very healthy looking one at that. your 6yo must have green fingers, deserves a big well done.

Unnamedggdgdgd.gif~c200

Beans are notorious feeders and need to be fed. Have you given it a liquid feed? if yes then continue on the current regime as it looks fine. If not give it a small feed weekly until the pods ripen, maby then collecting and drying seed for next year.

I always add a liquid seaweed to my liquid feeds to bolster the plants.

the tray on the bottom is an excellent idea, as it prevents overwatering from the top and tells you when the plant needs a drop of water.

make sure the ties arnt tight on the stem.

Next year I would pot on the plant into a bigger pot as the smaller pot may "stop" the plant by restricting the roots. I would not do that now as the plant may be too brittle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

It hasn't been getting any feed at all. But it is a thirsty lil yoke. Is there a particular type I should get? We change the compost every few weeks. And it's now in its 3rd pot.

Should it be kept indoors or moved outside

The ties are just expandable plastic clips that were on bread wrappers, easy to take off and put back on.

Thanks for the advice, the lil fella is delighted with himself all he wants to do is bring it in to show his teacher ðŸ˜

Any ready to use tomato liquid feed would do, as there is not long to go in the season. Follow the instructions on the feed.

I find that a handful of chicken manure does the feeding job for my tomatoes for most of the season in 20 liter pots. Usually then only needs 2 or so liquid feeds late in the season.

I would keep the plant where it is as its doing fine. When growing indoors I keep plants on a south facing window sill if possible.

I collect those ties myself :D

Be careful transporting the plant as it is brittle and will break easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Thanks, I ll leave it where it is as it seems to enjoy it there, I'll pick up some food tomorrow.

I ll let him bring some pictures into school.

Thanks again for your help, no doubt I ll be back again for advice, I am not green fingered at all

Owryan wrote: »
    I am not green fingered at all

you will be if you hang around here :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do Broad Beans not need to go outside for fertilization to take place. No fertilisation, no beans,

they can be cross pollinated and/or self pollinated. Assisting self pollination can be done with a small paintbrush to get the pollen mobile.

in this case there appear to be a few pods already forming so maby a few bees have made it in through a window or a breeze has helped with the pollination.

If an indoor grown plant like this bean was put outside now any bit of a wind could break it in 2 as its not used to wind and with young gardeners its better to err on the side of some success so they dont lose interest

Advertisement