Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem router to replace Huawei HG658

Options
  • 26-08-2016 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone recommend a router to replace my Vodafone hg658

It's just for a small enough two storey house

I'm finding issues with the HG658 logging into my Gmail accounts and using google services timing out etc

Basically want modem router that does the normal accessing internet etc but also want to connect a hard drive to it access files throughout house through kodi and laptop etc

Don't mind if it's online or shop (I have curry's,argos near me)
    Budget wise I'd like to keep it under 100

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

That don't sound like a router issue, sounds like a laptop issue

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

I had serious issues getting a replacement modem for my hg658, most routers you buy are not compatible with Vodafone and you will end up bridging any new router with your old one.
    I got a new one off Vodafone ( same model again, free of charge if u tell them other one stopped working) and that did the trick.

But I promise you will struggle to find a router that works and the setup is difficult if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

You're better off checking the Broadband thread , this has been discussed a few times
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100780997#post100780997

You are better off bridging a new router - I have a TP Link Archer C9 ( with DD WRT ) bridged with the VF box.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

That don't sound like a router issue, sounds like a laptop issue

Thought it was laptop but same issue phones etc , when I switch WiFi on laptop from Vodafone to hotspot from phone Google works perfectly

Vico1612 wrote: »
    You're better off checking the Broadband thread , this has been discussed a few times
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100780997#post100780997

You are better off bridging a new router - I have a TP Link Archer C9 ( with DD WRT ) bridged with the VF box.
    I have an old netgear router presumably I can just bridge to that

• Advertisement

I have an old netgear router presumably I can just bridge to that

If it's a router with an Ethernet wan port yes. What model is it, you could be drastically cutting your wireless speeds if it's an old 802.11g only device

Thought it was laptop but same issue phones etc , when I switch WiFi on laptop from Vodafone to hotspot from phone Google works perfectly

Try changing your DNS to Google see if you notice any difference
    8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

If it's a router with an Ethernet wan port yes. What model is it, you could be drastically cutting your wireless speeds if it's an old 802.11g only device

Wrn2200 netgear

Wrn2200 netgear

That should work. Google for the Vodafone pppoe details, you'll have to set it on the Wan port. I'm not sure how easy that modem is to bridge, have a search on here.

Advertisement