Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the employment situation really that bad for barristers?

Options
  • 26-08-2016 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm entering into my final year in school and I was really hoping to peruse a career as a barrister. I was hoping to do an Arts degree in economics and Geography in UCD and then move on to a Legal Studies Diploma in the kings inn and then do my BL degree.(I've conversed with a few barrister who have highly recommended this route rather then a law degree in becoming a barrister) I've been doing a lot of research recently and I've seen nothing but articles either ridiculing the profession or talking about how I'm looking at mountains of debt, absolutely no work and I really shouldn't even think about pursuing a career as a barrister unless I'm demented. Is this true? Should I just call it quits now and persue a doctorate in economics and Geography or should I just go for it? And even then, are there any jobs for someone with a master's or PhD in economics in Ireland at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'm entering into my final year in school and I was really hoping to peruse a career as a barrister. I was hoping to do an Arts degree in economics and Geography in UCD and then move on to a Legal Studies Diploma in the kings inn and then do my BL degree.(I've conversed with a few barrister who have highly recommended this route rather then a law degree in becoming a barrister) I've been doing a lot of research recently and I've seen nothing but articles either ridiculing the profession or talking about how I'm looking at mountains of debt, absolutely no work and I really shouldn't even think about pursuing a career as a barrister unless I'm demented. Is this true? Should I just call it quits now and persue a doctorate in economics and Geography or should I just go for it? And even then, are there any jobs for someone with a master's or PhD in economics in Ireland at the moment?

Tbh I'm not certain what the employment situation is like for barristers atm, but either way, if it's what you want to do, you should go for it! Your motivation for the job will stand to you a lot more than you might think. Either way, you'll have four years of your arts degree done before you have to decide so you need not panic now! There's always jobs for someone with a PhD, even in economics. Just because we had an economic downturn not too long ago doesn't mean the country doesn't need economists anymore. If anything we probably needed more of them :P

Advertisement