Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair iPhone 6 or upgrade to iPhone7?

Options
  • 26-08-2016 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Trying to keep a long story short here. A few months ago I stupidly dropped my iPhone 6 in the toilet. Phone didn't work and I left it for a few months. A few weeks ago, to my surprise, the phone worked fine after soaking the logic board in IPA, despite a cracked screen and defunct camera. Replaced screen myself yesterday and phone was working completely fine. Left my phone to charge overnight last night and woke up to find the phone completely unresponsive, not turning on, charging or being recognised by iTunes. Brought it into a repair shop today, haven't got it back yet but was told it's most likely a damaged U2 IC. (iPhone's almost 2 years old so presumably Apple won't help?)

My problem is do I go ahead and have the U2IC repaired for almost €150?(by e-tech, only place I could find) Or do I wait to upgrade to the iPhone 7? (looks like a pretty underwhelming upgrade judging by the circulating rumours, I was going to wait for the hyped up 2017 phone)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Trying to keep a long story short here. A few months ago I stupidly dropped my iPhone 6 in the toilet. Phone didn't work and I left it for a few months. A few weeks ago, to my surprise, the phone worked fine after soaking the logic board in IPA, despite a cracked screen and defunct camera. Replaced screen myself yesterday and phone was working completely fine. Left my phone to charge overnight last night and woke up to find the phone completely unresponsive, not turning on, charging or being recognised by iTunes. Brought it into a repair shop today, haven't got it back yet but was told it's most likely a damaged U2 IC. (iPhone's almost 2 years old so presumably Apple won't help?)

My problem is do I go ahead and have the U2IC repaired for almost €150?(by e-tech, only place I could find) Or do I wait to upgrade to the iPhone 7? (looks like a pretty underwhelming upgrade judging by the circulating rumours, I was going to wait for the hyped up 2017 phone)

Apple won't help anyway as you dropped it down a toilet. You could look at the Out of Warranty repair, but their costs are high and they may not touch it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

If it was me, I'd repair it. That way you'll have a working phone while you wait to decide. Also, if it's working, you'll get your money back plus a couple of hundred quid if you sell it to fund the iPhone 7. It might be hard to sell it if it's not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 oscillation

Okay, thanks for the replies, can anyone recommend anywhere other than e-tech for the U2IC repair? I'm in Donegal and can't find any locally but willing to use a postal service.

Advertisement