Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sent out wrong parts for car

Options
  • 26-08-2016 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

I ordered parts for my car a few months ago from an irish online shop,a few service items.I said I'd order them at the time since they were on sale.
    Anyway gave them to my mechanic to service the car yesterday and he told me that the parts I got look like there the parts for the petrol version of my car.
    I picked my parts using the reg of my car so I assumed it would have known it was a diesel car.
    Would I have the right to get them to send the rights parts out if I send back the wrong ones or is a few months too late?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Probably best to contact the website directly. Also take a look at the terms and conditions on the site with regards to the reg thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The first step, before talking about rights, is to politely ask the supplier if you can exchange them as you made a mistake in ordering the wrong items. More often than not it won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

That's the reason I never order car parts online, go to the motor factors instead they aren't much dearer than online and you have no problem changing a part if it is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If they provided the facility to select parts by reg, then I think it's reasonable to assume you should have gotten the correct parts.

I recommend firstly contacting the website, explain the situation and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

The first step, before talking about rights, is to politely ask the supplier if you can exchange them as you made a mistake in ordering the wrong items. More often than not it won't be a problem.

A sensible view.

I would not indicate the presence of a mistake in ordering the parts. That can weaken your position contractually unless there are generous provisions in relation to returns/exchanges. I would be more inclined to take the line that the wrong parts were sent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Sam Kade wrote:
    That's the reason I never order car parts online, go to the motor factors instead they aren't much dearer than online and you have no problem changing a part if it is wrong.

Ordered 260 euro parts on line. Same cost when priced in all my local motor factors was still almost 120 euro dearer than online. Significant savings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

On any of those sites that take your reg they always show the model etc of the car. Its up to you to make sure those details are correct as you have the option then to manually select the car. Once the parts arent used I can see the website helping you out tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

Happened to me. The "leading" one.
    Reg checked out. Correct sub model engine type etc.
    Ended up sending me the wrong parts anyway. The issue was at their end as the part listed for my car (and presumably other similar ones) was the wrong length.

Expectation: sorry about that we'll swap it for the correct part and update the online listing.
    Reality: we'll take back our error and refund you a week later. Oh and you pay the postage.

I had used them before for simple bits and bobs and found them fine. Only when an (admittedly small) issue arose I was pulling teeth from the word go.

These lads are grand for cheap oil and wipers and whatnot, but there comes a point where you appreciate a real person who knows their onions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Blahfool wrote:
    These lads are grand for cheap oil and wipers and whatnot, but there comes a point where you appreciate a real person who knows their onions.

I bought brake pads and discs. Timing belt and water pump. All correct, free returns if not correct no quibble. 120 euro saving. Can't fault online. You can get the wrong part in an motor factors too. Human error it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I buy all my car parts online..

Have had the odd problem from time to time but never had an issue changing them..

You will get stuck for postage sometimes but i've made massive savings over the years so a few quid here and there isn't a problem..

As Srameen said, just ask them if you can swap them out, shouldn't be a problem..

Failing that you can sell the parts you have on done deal / ebay and buy new ones..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

Sound lads emailed them,it was actually two different sites that done it.
    One replied and said since its been more then 14 days since I purchased from them they won't let me return the item.
    I don't mind from them as it was only an oil filter from them which didn't cost much. They did say I can have free delivery next time I order from them so not soo bad.
    The other site had a few parts but still waiting for reply from them.
    jonnycivic wrote: »
    On any of those sites that take your reg they always show the model etc of the car. Its up to you to make sure those details are correct as you have the option then to manually select the car. Once the parts arent used I can see the website helping you out tho.
    It did look exactly like my car and said it was my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

honda boi wrote: »
    One replied and said since its been more then 14 days since I purchased from them they won't let me return the item.

That would be the case if it was a change of mind on your part. However, they sent the wrong item, so the 14 days limit does not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

I've has ir happen with a certain leading online car part supplier. The best one was the time they had a special offer of a reduced price if you buy spark plugs and diesel oil together (I never copped it was diesel oil until the package arrived....presumed it would be petrol oil with sparkplugs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Sam Kade wrote: »

And often cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

dudara wrote: »
    That would be the case if it was a change of mind on your part. However, they sent the wrong item, so the 14 days limit does not apply.

They might claim he ordered the wrong item though and to be fair it's probably 50:50..

Short sighted of any company to leave a customer with unwanted parts though..

I know i'd never go back..

Advertisement