Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a barrel

Options
  • 26-08-2016 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Well Lads just wondering what is the law on getting a second barrel for a gun?
    I have a 870 with a 30" barrel and would like to have another shorter barrel instead of cutting or chopping the current one.
    Could i just buy another barrel for it or would there need to be another lisence got for just another barrel?.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

My understanding is you only need a separate license if your changing calibre. For example my Cz .22lr rifle can be modified to shoot .17 hmr simply by changing the barrel BUT if I did this I would have to apply for a license for a .17hmr even though it's the same gun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Pretty much on the nose.

Just don't go shorter than legal minimum, stay with the same caliber and you're fine.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Cass wrote:
    Just don't go shorter than legal minimum, stay with the same caliber and you're fine.

What if barrel 1 was 12gx70mm and barrel 2 was 12gx76mm? Would a new certificate be needed in this instance?

Similarly do you need 2 certificates to shoot .22lr and .22wmr out of a cz455 even though they are both 22cal?

To the best of my knowledge, no. It's down to caliber/chambering as it's recorded on PULSE.

In shotguns that is measured as 410, 20 bore, 12g, and possibly 10g, etc. So the cartridge length wouldn't impact on the license. The only time a cartridge would affect the license is if you went for restricted ammo, then you need a restricted license.

In rifles it's all the various chamberings. So .17 hmr does not allow you to have a 17 hornet, 17 remington, etc. With a .22lr it does not allow you to have a WMR, Hornet, 223, 204, etc, etc. It's why things like the Sako Quad never took off here as much as they may have elsewhere. Numerous calibers, so numerous licenses. In other countries this may not be a requirement.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

IMO::-
    There is no reference to chamberings in the Irish statute book. It's all about the calibre and changes to the calibre that cause an increase in calibre etc etc.

Also I fail to see why two calibres count for two licences when I fact it's only one receiver.
    Yes it's a messed up situation but at least its consistent with other areas of irish firearms licensing.

• Advertisement

Zxthinger wrote: »
    IMO::-
    There is no reference to chamberings in the Irish statute book.
    Probably not.

However the laws are wrong by referring to calibre all the time and not referencing the chambering.
    It's all about the calibre and changes to the calibre that cause an increase in calibre etc etc.
    Correct, with regard to the law.

A .22lr, .22 magnum, .22 Hornet, .223, .220 Swift, .22-250, etc are all the same calibre. The only thing differentiates them is the chambering or case they use.

It's why when speaking of pistol licenses they make the difference between 22lr and any other 22 rimfire as the SI/Act once said (SI 21/2008 as amended by SI 337/2009). By saying 22 rimfire they left the door open for someone to license a 22 magnum, etc pistol.
    Also I fail to see why two calibres count for two licences when I fact it's only one receiver.
    I thought it'd be obvious (not being smart). If you have a license for a .22lr and did not need a further licenses for other barrels with new chamberings then you could have a multitude of calibres/chamberings without a license such as the ones i've named above.
    Yes it's a messed up situation but at least its consistent with other areas of irish firearms licensing.
    True.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

It seems to be the norm here in Ireland that even combination guns have two different licences, one for each calibre or gauge.
    It just seem ridiculous that you can't have one licence for one gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

That depends on your Super as how he wants to liscense it.
    Some are happy to liscense it as just a rifle or others will want both shotgun and rifle.Again,no hard and fast rules on this for what the Super can or cant do as again the firearms laws don't even take into consideration such a gun existing .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LiamLad

Cheers for all the replies lads!
    From what ive read i take it that i can ask my rfd to get me in another barrel.
    gonna get a new barrel from remington and have it cut down to the minimum 24" .... the shorter barrel will make for easy shooting of the snipe on the bog come this shooting season!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Why not just get a already made 24 in barrel for your 870?ASFIK there is a so called slug or deer barrel for the Remmy in that length. If he can order in a normal barrel he should be able to get one of those as well. Hope you aren't in a rush for it mind..Remington supplying Ireland can redefine the word Slow. Might be an idea to ring a few gun dealers and ask if they have a parts gun and are willing to sell the barrel off it?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement